No announcement yet.

The problem with AMD cpu's..., and possibly home-built PC's with them.... :o(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem with AMD cpu's..., and possibly home-built PC's with them.... :o(

Hey there,

First off, I'd like to say that I've always supported AMD when it comes to being used for 3D graphics rendering (not games, but software packages), so this is by no means a knoc on them in any way. I've been noticing a trend lately that even I myself have fallen into, yet was too proud to admit at the time, until now. A good majority of people (myself included) have at one point in time posted a concern/problem they hjad/still have with the games they own and their Matrox cards. In most of these cases, they have an AMD Athlon or K6 system, which they probably built themselves.

I suggest that they might've been self built because of recent PC Accelerator article I read just this morning. The author, also an avid AMD supporter (George T. Chronis), had cited several instances in his article where no matter what kind of configuration he tried, no matter what kind of components he used or did not use in some cases, his system would "die" either abrubtly or over time upon the attempt to run any game he ran up(usually citing UT and Q3A as test games to make sure everything worked). And although he never used a G400 card, he did use several other different Vid cards and experienced the same varying problems across the board (if you'd like to check the article out, it's in the May 2000 issue). Ultimately, he stated that "do-it-yourself systems" tend to fall victim to these sorts of problems with Athlons almost all of the time.

Now whether or not you agree or disagree with the bulk of that article (if you've read it), that's your perogative. but for me (although I only own a K6 II 450), alot of the situations he had experienced, I know I had also encountered at one time or another in-between upgrades of my system. And I've definately noticed the symptoms in other mini/MURCers' posts. So in short, I guess what I'd like to know from everyone else that may or may have not experienced the afforementioned situations, is what sort of system config has been the BEST for them. I often see this question asked yet never answered by anyone, so I hope that this post will possibly elicit a positive response. Thanks in advance for any replies posted.

Previous system (used for months):
    PROCESSOR: AMD K63-400@433 124mhz Bus X 3.5
    L3 cache disabled.
    MOTHERBOARD=Soyo SY5-EMA+
    GRAPHICS CARD: Matrox G400 Vanilla 32m OEM AGP. (Previously had a Diamond Viper V550...I had no probs with this card either).
    HD=Maxtor 27.2g DMA/66 7200rpm
    HD=Maxtor 7.2g DMA/33 5400rpm
    SOUND=Sblive! X-gamer (Previous Sblive Value!...no problems with this either)
    NETWORK CARD=SMC ISA
    DECODER CARD=DXR3
    DVD=Creative Labs 6x24x
    CDR=Ricoh MP7040a

(Only problems I had with this system was I could not use opengl past the 5.4 drivers....since I am no longer using this K6 (it's in my closet) I do not no if this prob is fixed)

CURRENT SYSTEM:
    PROCESSOR: P3-550@630 115mhz bus X 5.5
    MOTHERBOARD: ABIT BE6 R1
    GRAPHICS CARD: MATROX G400 Vanilla 32m OEM AGP
    HD=Maxtor 27.2g DMA/66 7200rpm
    SOUND=SBLIVE! X-Gamer
    NIC=NETGEAR PCI 10/100
    TV CARD=Hauupage WINTV-Theatre
    MOUSE=Intellimouse Explorer USB
    Decoder Card=DXR3
    DVD=Creative Labs 6x24x
    CDR=Ricoh MP7040a

(4 of my PCI slots are full (the PCI slot next to the AGP slot is blocked by the fan I added to the G400)..the only problem I have with this computer is that my Maxtor 7.2g DMA/33 5400rpm drive does not like the BE6...on the 33 or the 66 controller it just does not like it. It works fine on my K6 mobo though.

[This message has been edited by DosFreak (edited 19 April 2000).]
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Well, my system:
      CPU->AMD K6-2/450
      MOBO->Tyan Trinity s1598C2 (previously an Aopen AX52)--no problems in AGP1x on either system
      now running AGP 2x on Tyan Mobo with most recent via drivers (4.20 ?)
      Memory->128 MB ram
      CD/DVD->Toshiba DVD-ROM 6X
      HD-> Quantum CX 10.2 GB
      HD-> Quantum KA-P 13.? GB
      NIC-> Aopen 10/100 Combo Card (previously Kingston 10baseT ethernet) --neither had any problems
      SoundCard->SB 128PCI (still waiting on the damn win2k drivers for it!)
      Mouse -> microsoft Mice computer (yes thats plural...waiting for my replacement intellieye mouse...using intellimouse standard right now)
      now...just to add confusion i will repost all this shtuff in my sig:

Frankfurt

------------------
      Here is my crappy system config:
      K6-2 450, 128MB SDRAM,Tyan Trinity ATX (S1598 2mb cache on board), G400 Max Card
      Windows 98SE/Mandrake Linux 7.0/win2k/beos 5.0 (free version)
      SB 128 PCI
      AOpen Lan aln-325c
      Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
      WinXP Professional SP1
      Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
      3COM 905C

Comment

Matrox cards run very well with Athlon based systems.

[This message has been edited by Greebe (edited 19 April 2000).]
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Most issues with Athlons are with the horrible motherboard support. Bios updates usually correct or improve this. The Athlon itself is a wonderful processor.

In any case,

AMD Athlon 600
          Asus K7M Bios 1008 (Latest release version)
          Windows 98 SE 128MB PC100Ram
          Matrox Marvel G400 with Powerdesk 5.52 (Yes I know it's not supported, but it's at least 30% faster.)
          Creative SBLive Full.
          Promise Ultra66

a: Ls-120 2X
          c: 8gb ultra33
          d: 20gb Ultra66
          e: 4gb ultra33 - 2GB Swap File
          s: Creative 5X DVD
          t: Matshita 4/8X CD-R.
          u: Atapi Zip250

**Added**
          My previous system was the same with a PII-350 and an Epox 61BXAM. Both are/were entirely stable.

[This message has been edited by High_Jumbllama (edited 19 April 2000).]

Comment

I have a do-it-yourself Athlon 600/Gigabyte 7IX, 128MB ram (2 sticks of generic PC100 CAS3 10ns running at CAS2 at the most agressive memory settings), CDROM, 13.5 Gb 7200 rpm hdd, 6.4 Gb 5400 rpm hdd, sblive! G400 oc´ed to 150/200, usb scanner, and so on. All of this running with a crappy generic ATX box win a 235 W power supply. I dual boot win98/win2k. Don´t have any problems (well the latest win2k driver installation caused me trouble, but it´s fine now).

So if this works, I can´t imagine why it wouldn´t work with other configs. I think I have a case of worst-case scenario

About Intel, I am trying to install a fecking winmodem in a friend´s PIII450/via apollo board (talk about crappy boards) for 3 weeks and it simply doesn´t work. The modem works fine in my pc, in the same phone line. Kinda makes you wonder...

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 19 April 2000).]

Comment

Michael Dell believes Athlons have issues. Maybe we need to get him here to give us the lowdown on them.

Comment

HJ, K7m's have had their problems due to lousy BIOS's they've come out with. That's what it took to fix the problems that most of the other boards never had in the first place. Asus might make great MB's in general, but not SlotA's. I've never recommended one. Although they are improving now, from what I understand.

------------------
                Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.
                Anyone up for an Athlon800+? Email me (epc@netdirect.net) for more information

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency w/ active cooling
                CPUmark99 75
                FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41, Athlon@850mHz

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I love my system. It's a great performer, and one of the most stable I know of. Tribes locks up occasionally, but that's apparently a bug in the game that the programmers don't intend to fix.

------------------
                  MSI-6167 w/ Athlon 500@750 (thx Greebe!), 128MB Crucial PC133, G400MAX,SBLive!-MP3,Pioneer 10x DVD, Phillips CD-R, a hard drive or two, and a Sony 420GS. Running RH6.1, and Win98 (when I have to).

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The biggest problem people seems to have is the fact that on VIA or ALI or AMD Chipset board it's necesary to install the chipset specifik AGP driver after Gx00 drivers because they installs the INTEL AGP driver.

That (ie using intel AGP drivers on a bord with other chipset) will make games go slow or crach emidiatly!!

------------------
                    INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
                    G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
                    SBlive
                    256 MB RAM CAS2
                    43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
                    Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
                    SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

K6-III 450 2.4v bios r1.5 Ali IV GA-5Ax r4.1
                      agp 1.65 IDE 3.56
                      micron pc133 256 meg
                      G400 max, Rainbow runner recomended drivers turbo GL l.0
                      generic 100base PCI
                      SB Live value
                      maxtor 7200 20gig
                      56K supera ISA, 56k supera USB, Win 98 multi Link
                      Lot's of USB stuff

The only problem I have is some times, when booting up, It freezes. other then that, the only complaint I have is IT'S TOO SLOW!!! Iv'e built at least 100 K6 machines and they run perfict, Don't know anything about the K7's.

Comment

Technoid, that might be true with SS7 MB's(haven't tested), but that's not true with Athlon systems.

Comment

man.. i am in the process of upgrading my system and i can't decide rather i should go for the cumine or athlon.. both are good processors. my biggest concern is the chipset.. i know BX is out of the question.. the 820 suck ass.. 840 is not even close to coming out yet.. and i heard there's problem with IT. All those horror stories with the via chipset.. URGH!!!

what am i going to do.. upgrading used to be easy heh

------------------
                          Glarec
                          ------
                          bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Glarec
                          ------
                          bp6-(2)433(oc488) celerons, g400max, ibm ultra scsi 9.1g, sb-live value, hitachi ss-753 19", plextor 32x, etc, etc, etc...

Comment

I have a K6-2 350mhz on a ACORP-5ALI61 board. I have the G400 video card with 128mg of ram using Windows 98. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers, but I've had very few problems running games. I've played Half-Life, and UT. My next system will most likely use a Pentium, but for the time being I haven't had a single crash or lock up with UT playing it at 800X600 resolution and all the video features turned on. The game looks great and runs between 15-21 FPS, not great but certainly playable.

Comment

blah.. don't know what i was thinking.. 840 is for workstation/server and it's too expensive.. sorry.. i can't stand spending THAT much money for rambus with not much of an improvement advantage. what's left atm for me it's probably p3 with via chipset(probably not), and athlon with either k7v or ka7.. decisions decisions *grumble*
                              Glarec
                              ------

Comment

Working...
                              X