Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never had this many problems in my life....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never had this many problems in my life....

DAMNIT! I've used 2 different computers, three different operating systems, and a LOT of patience, but I just can take it anymore... My G400 just won't play games! Or almost anything else involving 3D (such as the Tech Demo that came bundled with it).

The first computer I used it on:

Dell XPSR450
    P2450
    128MB PC100 SDRAM
    SBLive!Value
    (any drivers)

This computer couldn't handle the G400 (although I think that the 200 watt power supply might have been the perpertrator).

The second computer

(Custom Built)
    Dual PIII 550
    256MB PC SDRAM
    P3C-D i820 Motherboard
    SBLive!Value

This is my personal computer (I'ts all mine!) and I have tried several different OS's on it...

Win 98 -
    It can run most programs (i.e. Micrografix Simply3D) but the techdemo is a no go... and WAY too many crashes. (Unstable)

Win NT 4.0 Service Pack 5 -
    It can run Micrografix Simply3D... but almost nothing else (and still crashing!)

Win 2000 -
    Couldn't even get this installed! I always get a STOP error.... and the BSOD-lookalike tells me that it may be the graphics card.

----
    There you go... think you can help?

Yeah, have you installed the drivers for your i820 motherboard?

Rags

Comment

There was a ASUS CD that was included w/ my system.. it had an updated *.inf file for the motherboard, but that was only for Win 98 (and that didn't help too much either).

Since I don't want ot give up use of SMP, I merley want to stop the STOP errors (no pun intended) and at the very least get Win2000 installed.

Comment

Have you tried Matrox's certified drivers for win2K? you might want to, they are version 5.04.

Rags

Comment

I haven't been able to get Win2K installed
          =(

I keep getting the STOP error... lookes like the BSOD.

I think that there may be an i820/G400 conflict... but I don't know.

Comment

1)Is your G400 & sblive using different IRQ ?
            There's a thread about G400 cannot share IRQ with sblive.
            2)Update liveware to version 3. Heard from a shopkeeper that sblive has problem working with P3C series.
            3)I'm using Asus CUC2000 which is also i820 based but no such problem.

Regards.

P3-600EB|64MB PC-100|CUC2000|SBLIVE|
            G400 32MB|LINKSYS 10/100|ADAPTEC 2940UW|W98
            Primary desktop:
            Dell Dimension 4100|P3-733Mhz|512MB Crucial PC133 CL3|ATI Firegl 8700 64MB|SBLIVE|3Com 3C905c|Adaptec 2906|Quantum 40G|FUJITSU 1.3G MO|Iomega 16x10x40x|MGE 480VA UPS|Philips 200P3M|XPPro
            Secondary desktop:
            Generic P3-733Mhz|512MB Crucial PC133 CL3|Matrox G400 32MB DH|SigmaTel audio(build-in)|2 x 3Com 3C9980B|Adaptec 2940UW|Quantum 15G|MGE 500VA UPS|Sony G500|W2K

Comment

Is Serial Presence Detect (SPD) enabled? Try setting your memory timings manually. (This is bad news and the fix is ugly.)

This is just a wild guess. I just read about the problem for the first time today.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

For this system:
                Dell XPSR450
                P2450
                128MB PC100 SDRAM
                SBLive!Value

My wife has the same system minus the SB LIVE .

Did you add the SB live card after you got it?? If you did you really need to remove all the onbord audio drivers first.

I added a G400, the only trick was to remove all traces of the previous graphics card(ATI) drivers before installing the G400.

I also set the jumper to recovery mode and force flashed the Intel SE440BX mobo with Intels Bios file to give it P3 support (Dell's Bios does not provide P3 support).
                So it now has a P3-450 instead of the P2-450. That's the maximum processor speed for that mobo.

The XPS R450 is a very durable and upgradable system. The only thing you need to watch for are the IRQ conflicts with the G400 and SB Live.

The best thing would be for you to list IRQ assignments for all of your systems. This way we can best help you.

Paul
                "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I remember helping you with flashing your BIOS so it could take that P3, Pauly

It was the best thing we ever did through ICQ

Jord.
                  When I chose to go out
                  I always leave the light on
                  when I have to stay in,
                  you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
                  now that I'm living on my own,
                  and while they've never been more right,
                  can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

Hey...

(on my dual-550 i820 board)

After a fresh install of WinNT4 (formatting the whole HD and then installing it again) and CAREFULLY installing the SBLive! drivers and the WHQL NT4 G400 drivers.... no Quake 3

I can get Simply3D to work flawlessly in both OpenGL and Direct3D, but when I try to run Q3 I get a black screen followed shortly by a grey screen (approx. at 640x480) where there is only my mouse and nothing else. No commands work, like Ctrl+Alt+Del, etc...

Any ideas?

Comment

Win200.

I had stop errors when trying to convert FAT32 to NTFS during the win2000 install. They went away when I decided to keep the FAT32. Install was a breeze then.

Comment

no new posts...

sniff, sniff

Comment

Working...
                        X