Quake3 + G400 + 5EMA motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake3 + G400 + 5EMA motherboard

Okay, i've been trying to get quake 3 to run under win98 for a couple of months now and still no joy. I can get the cool intro screen where the ID logo punches onto the screen. Then my machine locks solid. I've tried using the Turbo GL drivers as well as the std ones. I've also tried all the G400 drivers from 5.4 up to 5.52 and nothing. However it does work under NT4. Clue???

PC Spec:
    AMD K6-III 450
    SOYO SY-5EMA motherboard.
    320MB PC100 RAM
    Diamond MX300 Sound card
    G400 DH
    Windows 98 4.10.1998
    (and loads of other stuff which ain't inportant)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Have you installed the Soyo drivers (Eteq 4in1) for your motherboard? And have you tried downloading the latest ones? What about the 116n patch for Q3 (though I don't think that'll fix it). Also (something else to try but not likely) have you tried it without some of the other hardware? I take it that the MX300 is an Aureal3D sound card and as Q3 is A3D supported then this could cause the problem. Also maybe take out your 256/64Mb sticks of RAM.

Does Quake2 run OK? Any other OGL/D3D games?

And finally, are you sure that the K6-III is fully supported by your motherboard and power supply?

Try these in the order given and I hope that it helps,

Paul.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Yup I have installed the 4in1 drivers. I needed to do that before bus mastering works properly.

I tried taking it to it's bare bones but admitedly I didn't remove the soundcard. As for the memory. I've only recently upgraded to 320. When I first tried to get it working I only had 128.

THe only other games I have tries with Open GL are Unreal Tourny & quake2. They both run fine with the open GL drivers. All D3d stuff is fine.

Ass for the question over the K6-II being fully supported by the H/W. I hammer the PC quite a lot (Not literally obviously) and I haven't came across any problems as yet. I've also got a huge 300w power supply.

The only thing worth mentioning is that I'm just rrying to run the latest A3demo not the full game. This may make a differenct but I wanna get the demo working 1st before I get the game.

Thanks for the responce BTW..

Comment

Hmmmmm... what vortex2 drivers are you using? I've got your exact same problem, I've tried in win98se and win2k, and was just about to post to see if any kx133'ers had this problem.. I don't like that 'tried for some months now' bit you said

My system

Athlon 550@761
        Asus K7V
        G400Max
        Diamond MX300 (2048)
        Intel Etherexpress Pro
        128 MB RAM
        Gigs free...

tried a fresh install, tried 1.16n, tried crying, nothing works...

Comment

Hmmm Interesting. I thought it was going to be a compatability issue with the Motherboard. However if youa re having the same problem it may well be the sound card. I'll try pulling out the MX300 and shoving in my old AWE32 and I'll let you knwo how I get on....

Al

Comment

Okay. I just removed the MX300 Sound card, removed all the drivers and re-installed DirectX for good measure. And still the same problem. More help required methinks...

Comment

Did you install the 4in1-drivers before or after the Matrox drivers?

If I install the 4in1-stuff before the matrox drivers all is fine and well. If I do it the other way around, all I get from Quake 3 is a black screen. Strange...

Comment

Installed the 4in1 drivers before the G400 ones. I had problems if I installed the G400 drivers first...

Comment

You can see my specs below..
                  I can run Q3A with Tgl 1.3 & Pd 5.52:
                  rename viagart.vxd (It's in windows/system) eg: viagart.vxd1 then reboot.
                  Now you've got Q3 running with Tgl
                  Now,without VIA AGP installed, if you try to reboot your system hangs !!
                  But Q3 works perfectly !!
                  Byez

------------------
                  My System:

AMD K6-3/400@450
                  Epox MVP3G2 Super7 (VIA-AGP v4.0)
                  128MB SDRAM(PC100 CAS2 )
                  G400 SH 16 MB @ 150/200
                  5,1GB Quantum HDD (UDMA33)
                  AOpen 40x-CDROM (UDMA33)
                  D-Link Ethernet (PCI) 10/100 Mb
                  17" Monitor Hitachi CM643ET (1024x768@115 Hz/91.3KHz ))
                  Windows 98SE with 98Lite Pro

P.S. Sorry for my English
                  My System:

AMD Duron 600@950
                  Abit KT7
                  128MB SDRAM PC133 CAS2
                  G400 SH 16 MB @ 159/212
                  5,1GB Quantum HDD (UDMA33)
                  AOpen 40x-CDROM (UDMA33)
                  D-Link DFE-530TX Ethernet Adapter PCI 10/100 Mb
                  17" Monitor Hitachi CM643ET 1024x768@115 Hz/91.3KHz
                  Windows 98SE

P.S. Sorry for my English

Comment

That sounds like a horrible way of doing things but I'll give it a go th' night..

Comment

Okay. I renamed viagart.vxd,
                      Rebooted,
                      Got to windows and the machine locked solid. I heard the monitor change the res as though it was getting to the windows GUI but then I was stuck with a black screen.

Bah, Humbug...
                      Any more ideas??

Comment

Woohooo!! Got it working.
                        If you install the Glsetup utill in teh extra folder on the quake3 cd. It will update the glquake drivers and it works. Only downside is that it revers back to powerdesk 5.3 Havent had time to play around with it much but this seems like the best fix for the mo.
                        You can also get this util from www.glsetup.com

Hope this helps everyone else..

Comment

Working...
                        X