TurboGl now work with Voodoo!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TurboGl now work with Voodoo!!!

Today i tried to install my old Voodoo with my G400 and...surpise ! TurboGl perfectly work with Voodoo drivers too!!! It's strange. Matrox too say that TurboGl don't work with 3dfx. Boh? Do you have a voodoo with G400?
    By
    Daniele

Yes, I have an old V1 lying around, but for me the question is: "Do I really want to use 640x480x16bpp with the 'remarkable voodoo picture quality' again?"

Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

nooooo
      I installed voodoo yesterday only for hobby. Today I get it off my pc
      By
      Daniele

Comment

hmm but i will keep my V2 SLI for all the games my G400MAX cant run..and thats a lot.

And V2 is still faster than the G400MAX in every game ive tryed so far. (and i got 140+)
        Delta Force all the way !

Comment

at least you have the option of keeping your sli v2's, my K7V doesn't seem to like them, system locks up if I install the drivers

Comment

Yes, noclan_member, we've heard about your 140+ games...

.... and as far as I know, the V2 SLI is faster than just about <u>everything</u> (since it does so little)...

...But if speed was your main concern, you really should have gotten a different video card; no one, neither manufacturer nor reviewer, has ever claimed that the G400 was tops in that category.

Btw, I notice that you keep offhandedly blaming the MAX.. but in your lengthy 7 post history of snide little comments, the only question you've ever asked was about the power supply... as if that could <u>possibly</u> be your primary issue in a system with:
            • 2 sound cards (and one of them the Live!)
            • 3 HDDs
            • an ISDN card
            • 3 video cards
            • Mix-matched RAM sticks-- you must have 2-128MB, 1-64MB and 1-32MB to total 352 MB (oy!)-- in 4 DIMM slots, btw, which is a problem in itself, at times...
            • a CD and a DVD-ROM (possible busmastering issue)
            • 2 gameport devices (both connected at the same time? Look at the rest of these specs-- betcha they are...)
            • unknown number of USB devices... plus a hub...
            • all formerly installed on a 95b system (and we all know how well 95b loved USB) upgraded to Win98 (and we all know how conflict-free an upgrade <u>that</u> is)...
            • and the gods only know what resource hogs running in the tray....

Yeah, right, noclan, your G400 is why you can't run your massive number of games. Uh-huh. I'm believing it....

... but if <u>you</u> believe it, why have you never asked what you could do about it, then?

Just wondering.

-------------------
            Holly

Comment

Ah...HollyBerri? Caught your line about mix & match ram sticks. What problems might that cause? I have 1-128MB@133, 1-64MB@100, and 1-32MB@66 all loaded up. Is more not better in this case?

------------------
              Celeron 400@540 on ABIT BE6 r2, 224M RAM, G400 32m DH oem, voodoo II SLI, Montego A3D Xstream, 300W PS

P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Comment

Anybody who knows more can feel completely free to jump in here... but afaik, oceaneer, 3 different sizes of memory-- designed to run at 3 different speeds, moreover-- can cause quite a bit of instability in your system.

What speed is your system running at, btw?

Naturally, the PC100 and PC133 can run at 66Mhz just fine... but can the PC66 run at 100? Can the PC66 and the PC100 run at 133?

If not, you have problems... if it can, but only for a little while, you have problems...

The issue with different memory sizes (afaik, but again, I'm absolutely no expert) is that stupid programs or drivers may try to write to memory registers that do not exist... or rather, that the various components have a hard time determining which memory registers actually exist and whether or not they are in use at any given point, since some sticks of memory are essentially truncated (because they're smaller than others). I suppose you could also have the situation of running out of memory (though you really have more than enough) because one stick is larger than the others (memory registers actually being available, but unable to be perceived by the system)... I would think it might depend on which stick was installed in DIMM slot 1.
                I totally stress that I am no electronics engineer .

I have seen mismatched memory systems run perfectly well... often it isn't a problem. That probably depends on the quality of your parts, and what type of software you run on it.

But if you have a lot of untraceable, sporadic errors/crashes, that would be one of the places I'd look when I started troubleshooting possible HW errors, because I've seen that as well.

I wonder if it might be a holdover from the SIMM days of matched pairs...

Anyway, I think it's definitely safer to have all DIMMS be the same size. But if you aren't having a problem <u>right</u> now, then I'd just keep an eye on it and save my pennies for a couple more sticks of 128MB PC133 while prices are down (for the moment)... you can trade the lesser memory down to a friend or relative with a K6-2 (the PC100) and an LX or Socket370 (for the PC66) system, and be a big hero .

------------------------
                Holly (waiting for someone to tell her she's an ignorant slut, a la Saturday Night Live )

Comment

2 oceaneer:
                  If U have several DIMM modules instead of 1 module, this rarely makes much probs. Just abit slower.

If U have PC66 memory that works fine at 90Mhz (strange freq thou, 400Mhz/66Mhz=6, 6 is mult.coef. of your proc. 540Mhz/6=90Mhz; looks like your original proc. freq is 433, in this case coef=6.5 and 540/6.5=83Mhz - standard freq below 100Mhz), and u've never seen blue screens, that means this 3-DIMM configuration works fine.

If somebody experience some untraceable problems in similiar configuration, imho it's easy enough to check, whether it is memory incompatibility that causes this probs. Insert just 1 DIMM, which u sure 2 be good & try again. If the problem remains - surely it is not of memory incompatibility origin. If dissapears - insert 2nd & so on.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Ruslan73 (edited 18 April 2000).]

Comment

Ruslan73....I am using an ABIT BE6r2, fsb options up the wazoo. I have never had any blue screens yet, so all appears to be well at the moment.
                    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Comment

This guy probably has the same problem as I had; not enough power for all his stuff. I have a shady power supply, and it caused lockups in some games on my Max. So instead of buying a new case I got a new video card... a Viper II, which I promptly returned. And now I run the rarest video card in the world, a PowerVr Neon250 : )

Good card, bad compatibility and drivers.

I still have my Max, and I plan to put it in my new system I am building.

The moral: too much stuff in your machine + sheisty power supply means game crashing, lockups, and problems. That guy needs to do a complete reformat, clean out his machine, and I guarantee that will fix his problem.

------------------
                      p3-500, 128mb, g400max, wd hd, promise, 3com ethernet connected to our school's 400mbits of bandwidth...

p3-500, 128mb, g400max, wd hd, promise, 3com

Comment

Working...
                      X