Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone use a trackball instead of a mouse for games besides me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone use a trackball instead of a mouse for games besides me?

It seems as though most people use mice for games. To me, the trackball seems the logical choice because it is stationary. Mice tend to get off base and I find myself constantly re-centering the mouse. I guess there is one thing I kind of do different and that is I rest my index and middle finger on the trackball on the middle digits of those two fingers where as most people use the tip of there index finger. My brother is insane, he uses the Logitech with the trackball on the side where you need to use your thumb and he plays games like this. I don't know how he does it. blah blah blah...

------------------
    I can never think of a good signature...~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Yes, your insane. BWAWHAHAHA!
    Just kidding...

Use what you like. Most ppl use a mouse, but I know your not alone.

xippo

Comment

BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! I guess I'm insane too

I use a Logitech Trackman Marble FX. I use it for graphics and just don't feel like changing to a mouse just for games.

Paul
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Dave, I've tried my Marble + (proper name for the thumb ball one) for games like UT... but it sucks (look like Pauly "Spinner" Mahl LOL). Went back to me mouse

Now I do like using it for Forsaken... in that, it's bad to the bone
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The Marble+ (thumball) did suck even for graphics...LOL

Hey I'm not doing as many backflips as I used to...

Paul aka Darth_Spinner_Mahl
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

yeah, that thumb ball gives me severe cramps when using it. My brother swears by it but did admit it took almost a year for his thumb to get used to it
            I'm using the Logitech Marble Mouse. It gives me total control.

Dave

------------------

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Trackball for 3D-shooters ain't easy!
              My GF use a Marble +, and I hate it!
              The precision sucks! I told her I'd gladly pay for a good mouse, but she says no... Women!

Comment

Dave, given that I've been using Logitech thumballs for ~8 years or so. Never had any troubles with thumb cramps... maybe you should take a Midol? LOL

Hey "spinner" most people think my thumbs are double jointed... they are simply extended. (The last digit bends back ~85-90 degrees on both)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

OUCH!!!

Comment

I'm with you Paul, Marble FX...

It works well, and I've improved enough using it that my cousin can't just sit still and pick me off anymore....

Guyv
                    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                    - 6.1 Digital Audio
                    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                    - LS120 IDE Floppy
                    - Zip 100 IDE
                    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                    - NEC FE950
                    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

One of them track balls about crippled my thumb. It was the original trackball that Logitech put out, and was horribly un-ergonomic. Now, I just stick with my big ol Mouseman wheel cordless and all it's buttons...
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Well at least "Old Spinner" has been weened off the joystick.

Oh!! Shit!! I'm leaving myself open with that one...LOL

Paul

Comment

The icon for my thumb doesn't do me justice. Here is a pic of my "REAL" thumb. I don't have any trouble finding the "G" spot

Dave

------------------

Comment

DaveO, mine goes back a tad further than that!.

Pauly, I see that! So your not playing "Pole Position" anymore or what?!!! ROTFLMAO

Comment

Kruzin, I have that one too... and yah it's brutal on ya. Logitech used Porscha Design out of Italy to come up with the layout. That might work for marketing, but sucks in practice. Anyhoo I modified mine (have two actually, one for parts) to support your palm/wrist better. It's been retired for about year now, but saved as a backup.

OT, Did I ever mention I use to make custom joystick handles out of polyurthane for the true jetjock back in high school?... have one in a "Coors lite" jet (actually it's a BD-5 jet) and another that Burt Rutan owns. Ah, the joys of being an EAA member! (#596311 (Experimental Aircraft Association))
                              It's a great $50 a year subscription, that I'd reccommend to anyone interested in flying/aircraft design or just wanting to know "how do you do that" with materials (fiberglass/metal/wood/etc). Much of it spills over into other areas (like RC planes (another hobby) and Yes, even my computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X