A Frame Rate Counter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Frame Rate Counter

I saw this frame rate counter for D3D games that you might find interesting. It doesn't work with everything and it is not entirely stable, but it might be useful. It wouldn't work with the NFS-PUL demo since its Glide based. But try it and let us know how it worked.
    http://www.fraps.com/

RAB
    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

I tried it some time ago and it gave false results, because it severely degraded performance when it was active. I remember reading something in the guy´s site about this being a know issue and a directx bug in matrox drivers. Don´t know if it is now corrected.

Comment

Actually, it DOES work w/NFS5. I'm getting 40-60 fps on my Athlon 700/G400Max @ 1280x960x32. Pretty spiffy...

Comment

Nuno,
        The site now says that the performance hit is about 1% or 1 FPS. I'm still having problems with it, so I think I'll reload it and try again.
        RAB
        AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Well it works flawlessly with many games (soul reaver, nfs 4) but in nfs5 the counter just sorta flashes in and out in the in-car view (with dash) and dissappears completely when the behind-car camera is selected.

But the framerate in the in-car view is between 25-45 fps depending on the complexity of the scene and number of cars on screen. I'd even say that it runs better than nfs4 (with detail levels set to high or highest where possible and resolution 1024x768x32bpp). Nice... considering this is a Celeron@458MHz and a regular G400...
          Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Working...
          X