NFS5 kicks back to deskptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFS5 kicks back to deskptop

After about 5 mins of play (sometimes 20 seconds, sometimes 10 mins) it just kicks me back to the desktop. The support page on the website says to quit all other programs before running the game, but this has had no effect. Any ideas why?

This is really annoying as I can't even complete races. Please help....

------------------
    Celeron 300A @ 450, Matrox G200 (5.52), Seagate 9.1GB IDE, Asus P2B, 128Mb PC100 Ram.
    Celeron 300A @ 450, Matrox G200 (5.52), Seagate 9.1GB IDE, Asus P2B, 128Mb PC100 Ram.

Don't know why, but it does this to me in the sharp right turn after all the farms in Normandie... Only on that circuit does it cut me back to the desktop

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Well mine does not, but I'm just telling this to show it can work.

System's a G400 based system using my G400 driverpack, a driver based on the latest release from Matrox same as 5.52.015! The res is set to 1024x768x32 to provide good graphics and perfect performance (meaning very fluid). All effects are turned on and none of the track shows the effect you experience. Please try another res like i.e. 1024x768 and or if you do not have them already installed install the 5.52.015 drivers. Note, use the uninstaller before.

best regards
      PKY

Comment

Well thanks Para, but as I yesterday found out, it's a problem with the internal timer in Windows and the timer in the program, as now it cut me back to the desktop, and I tried restarting it immediately again...

A next time I'll try to get a screenshot of that error message, for at the time I was cut back I was too busy trying the Porsche Testdriver tracks (and gd, is the delivery of that second car through the industrial zone difficult. Anyone out there with knowledge of a good second shortcut to get rid of the second policecar, please tell me )

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

I get that timer problem too sometimes. I just run the game again and then it loads fine. Until I start playing...because then it does the usual kick back to desktop.

How can the problem be fixed - with a EA patch only - or is there something we can do?

Comment

CChuck, email me (my address is in the profile), and I'll mail you a small file back that seems to repair the problem, and gives you access to all the tracks and all the cars

I've just been playing for over an hour without any crashes!

Jorden.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

NFS PU doesn't kick back to the desktop. Instead it kicks ass. :-)

Seriously though, we've been playing this game on several machines and never had any crashes. (There is a problem with the Windows mouse cursor staying visible in addition to the game's cursor at the same time, but it only happens every so often.)
              All are running Win98SE with G400, G400 MAX or ATI RAGE 128.

I've finished both Factory Driver and Evolution, each took about a week of playing.
              It's disappointing you can't use the cars you were awarded in Factory Driver in Evolution mode.

------------------
              primary sys: ASUS P2B-DS, Dual P3-500, 512 MB RAM, SB Live! Platinum, Pioneer DVD-303, Yamaha 6416S, Cambridge SoundWorks DeskTop Theater 5.1 DTT2500 Digital, and of course a Matrox G400 MAX
              secondary sys: Abit BE6, P3-500, 384 MB, SB Live! Value, Pioneer DVD-303, and of course a Matrox G400 OEM SH 32 MB

Comment

I downloaded the Demo and have not had any problems at all. I was expecting to see some bumpmapping, but it doesn't look like it is used at all. I thought it was in NFS 4, so what happened to it in 5 PU? The damamge on the cars looks like it would be really be great if bumpmapped. But the Normandie landscape is a beautiful sight even without it.

RAB
                AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Well, I had lots of problems with this game. But I've got it licked now. System specs:
                  Asus K7M, Athlon 700, G400Max and an SBLive (among other things).
                  First off I had the kicking back to desktop thing. Had this happen a lot when I had the 4.61 AMD AGP driver installed. Went back to 4.50 and it got better (available at k7m.com), but still not perfect. Switched voltage jumper to 3.3 from 3.4 (3.5 was better than 3.4, but not as good as 3.3. More on this later).Turned off super-bypass in BIOS, and kicking back to desktop stopped. Worked fine for two days, then started freezing after 20 mins. Figured out that my motherboard (!) was overheating (the heatsink on my Athlon overhangs the AMP 751 chip, and it gets too hot). Aimed a desk fan at the motherboard, and it runs just fine.
                  This is probably why the voltage setting helped - at 3.5 I'm sure the chipset generated way more heat than at 3.3, but the current helped it perform better than at 3.4. Anyway, so as it stands, the kicking back to desktop seemed to be related mostly to the AGP driver. Superbypass probably makes the chipset work harder, and results in overheating and freezing.
                  I don't know what you're using, but hope this helps.

Oh, the weirdest thing is that everything else (Quake 3, Halflife) ran just fine, while NFS5 crashed. Hmmm...

Comment

We shouldn't be complaining about this game, look what GeForce users are getting even with leaked beta drivers (others just crash on startup as I've heard):
                    http://www.firingsquad.com/games/nfs.../images/62.jpg

Nice to see NVIDIA's drivers aren't perfect. In fact the G400 has much better ones.
                    Of course on the other hand they are the only ones with the ability to run Q3 r_smp 1 in NT\2k.

Comment

Thank you for sending me that file, Jorden. Unfortunately it hasn't worked for me!
                      If anything the game quits to desktop quicker than before. I hardly get a chance to play any tracks because now it mostly quits whilst I'm still in the menus.
                      I'm going to take Bingo's advice and try and fiddle with the AGP settings now. Because of my current system configuration I'm not sure if there's much I can do with the AGP apart from change the aperture size setting in the bios. It's currently at 256Megs and I have 128Megs PC100 ram.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                      X