armada - not impressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• armada - not impressed

looks and feels quite cheap, except for the voice acting. the interface is uh pretty bad too, and those cut-scenes with the back of the officer, look shlocky.

anyone else?
    ==
    "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

I think it looks pretty durn good, if you take the time to explore from different angles, and especially if you play in DualHead mode. Zoom in and out (+/-), try the tactical toggle (z key). At first I wasn't impressed at first either, but once I started looking closer, I realized it's pretty good. And it's grown on me. Once past the Federation missions, it got more interesting. I'm halfway through the Borg missions now (nearing the end), and I've played several times on-line, and a few AI skirmished.

It's not all I had hoped it would be (I really wanted 3d navigation, like in Homeworld), but I think it's still a good game with very nice graphics, and I think I be playing it for a while in skirmishes and on-line...

(I do think the cut scenes are kinda cheesy, but I won't judge a game by that, cause they're all kinda cheesy in that area)
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I have to say that Starcraft is still my fav, although I haven't played Homeworld really. 256 colors, 640x480, and I don't care. It looks good, and plays well (even under Linux).
      It's technically 2D, but there are ground & air units, and some units can attack both, or only one. Also, air units can stack on top of each other, or over ground units, something they left out of Armada (why!?!).
      The three races are much more different than the four in Armada. You can probably pick it up pretty cheaply, since it came out two+ years ago, and I suggest that you do.

-Wombat
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
      X