Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got the new UT 413 patch working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got the new UT 413 patch working?

Anyone had any luck with the new patch? Now, when I try to play UT, it takes twice as long to load as it used to. Once the intro starts, the precache time is at least tripled. HD access is constant even once the intro starts. I finally got into the game and started a match after about 30 seconds of HD access trying to exit the intro. Once in the game, HD access is again near constant. The game is totally unplayable. Every time I turn the game freezes and accesses the HD. I uninstalled the whole game, repatched it and got the same problem.

Oh yeah, when I exit the game, the game music keeps playing. I hit ctl+alt+del to bring up the program manager, it shows TWO copies of UT running, one of which is not repsonding...

This is with a Celeron 550, G400 and 128MB, no other programs running except for systray, explorer, and mouse software...

Although I don't have constant HD activity, my Frame Rate has SERIOUSLY crapped out on me with this new patch. I went from average 40 FPS down to 28.

I got vanilla G400 32meg. 256 megs ram. P3 550. Abit bx6r2 motherboard.

Can anyone who has a GOOD framerate tell me whats in your UT advanced prefs under D3D? (If you dont know, go to UT console by pressing ~, then type "preferences" to reach advanced prefs. Then under rendering, there is a D3D section).

I got a clan match Wednesday, so if I don't get this resolved tonight, i guess I'll have to reinstall UT and 405b. Yuck.

bRuiner

Comment

I think you have enough RAM to prevent all of the swapping that I am getting. It is like the memory footprint for UT went up a good 75%. Software mode is even less than it used to be now. I am going to have to redownload 405. Epic had a habit of "breaking the game" with Unreal patches, now they are doing it again with UT *sigh*

Comment

Muhahahaha! I have 512MB of RAM on my G400 MAX box. Muhahahaha!

It'll be fun to finally play a game that forces the Unused Physical Memory level down to below 100MB. :-)

Can't wait to try this out...

And yeah, they used to break Unreal all the time with new patches. Bad, bad Epic. Shame on you!
        The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
        The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
        The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

I have never felt inadequete with 128MB of RAM before now. Dangit Epic...

[This message has been edited by brianriendeau (edited 28 March 2000).]

Comment

it seems to work fine, till i go to play a game (32bit z-buffer in win2k dont work to well with UT)
            gonna retry without z-buffering and see if anything improves, my specs follw:

------------------
            K6-2 450, 128MB SDRAM,Tyan Trinity ATX (S1598 2mb cache on board), G400 Max Card
            Windows 98SE/Mandrake Linux 7.0
            Here is my system config:Athlon XP+ 2000, 1024MB SDRAM,EpOX EP9XA (or something)<b>Matrox Parhelia </b>
            WinXP Professional SP1
            Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
            3COM 905C

Comment

WOHOO!! I don't know what the hell trouble you other people are having. I at least have gotten drastically improved frame rates out of my G200 with the new patch. Any of you ever tried the level AS-Bridge? If you have you know how massive it is. You can probably imagine how bad it is on a G200 K6-2 400 combo. To my great delight it is now almost playable!! But more importantly, the levels that were almost playable before, are reasonably playable now.
              Well, I don't suppose you really want to read my ranting all that much, so I'll stop now.
              Ian

------------------
              System Specs
              K6-2 350 @ 400
              Asus P5A
              256 MB PC133 SDRAM
              Matrox Mill G200 AGP PD 5.41/5.30 hybrid
              SBLive value LiveWare 3.0
              13.6 GB 7200RPM UDMA33 IBM HD
              8.4 GB 5400RPM UDMA33 WD HD (Dead, still trying to rescusitate)
              45X Acer CD-ROM
              Win98 se
              Red Hat 6.1
              Win2000 (to be added soon)
              Soon to be
              Athlon 650 (got it! YEA!!)
              128 mb PC133 SDRAM (got it! YEA!!)
              Tyan S3280 (pre ordered, ETA, 3/28, it's delayed damnit!!)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Primary System:
              MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
              120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
              Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
              Seccondary System:
              Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
              3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
              Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
              Tertiary system
              Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
              Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Seems like I'm having the same problems. Lower framerates, takes a long time to switch resolutions, music keeps playing after games ends (I even have to kill it manually). I did download the new beta d3d dll from unreal.epicgames.com and turned on the textures in local memory option, that seemed to help framerates.
                Dual P3-450@504 - Asus P2B-DS - 384MB PC100 - Matrox G400Max - Sony 21" GDM-500PS - Diamond MX300 - 40GB Diamondmax Plus 40 HDD - Pioneer 6X DVD - Plextor 8/20 CD-R - 3Com 10/100 - Hauppauge Win-TV Theater

Comment

I used the old beta d3d.dll version 0.6 and it restored the speed in my game to 4.05 levels. However exiting the game I get a weird ddhelp error and the computer is forced to reboot. I'm going back to 4.05.

Before installing the old d3d.dll I experienced all the problems described earlier including the music playing after closing the game. This update is a stinker.

Comment

Sludge (and everybody else) I emailed Epic about the problem. I got a reponse within a couple hours from Erik de Neve. He posted the release version 405 D3D driver here, so you do not have to mess with the betas:
                    http://unreal.epicgames.com/files/d3ddrv_405b.dll

I got everything working now. I am trying to figure out if the 405 driver or the 0.6 beta driver works better.

Comment

Don't it get you mad? My game was running fine with 405b and the latest drivers for the G400. Ver 413 of UT has done all of the above to my system. Totally screwed the whole thing up.

Just a side note, I ran the 405b patch without reinstalling UT and all is back to normal.

[This message has been edited by blackxr (edited 28 March 2000).]

Comment

Even tho nobody mentioned it I hope everyone
                        went into options/preferences and let the
                        game re-detect the video card (like the update says)
                        P3-450 o/c 558
                        Abit BH6
                        128 PC100
                        G400 SH 32M o/c MAX spex
                        SB Live X-Gamer
                        Pioneer 6X DVD
                        Maxtor 10 Gig H.D.
                        Fujitsu 13 Gig H.D.
                        Win98 SE
                        Samsung Synchmaster 17"
                        Logitech C/L Mouse/Kybrd
                        Altec Lansing ACS56
                        oh yea! and a 3M Precise
                        Mouse pad!!

Comment

Yeah.. i was averaging 32 fps. I uninstalled UT, reinstalled it. Patched with 405b. viola! 48 fps again.

Forget that new patch.

bRuiner

Comment

Do not forget the "min desired framerate" option in UT. You need to set this to "0" (zero) before you benchmark. If not, UT will drop detail attempting to speed up the game.

With the 413 patch, I tried 4 different d3ddrv.dll files on a fresh UT install, here are my results:

-413, crazy hd access, game unplayable, game messes up when exited

-0.8 (beta), same problems as 413

-405, game runs great, 640x480 @ 19.95 fps, 1024x768 @ 18.45 fps

-0.6 (beta), a little faster than 405, 640x480 @ 20.39 fps, 1024x768 @ 19.08 fps

UT was set to 32 bit color, high detail textures and game detail, min desired framerate set to "0", all default advanced options. I used the Wicked400 demo found here:

http://www.voodooextreme.com/reveren...html#wicked400

Celeron 366@550, G400 32MB, 128MB, SBLive

Comment

bRuiner, try the 413 patch with the 405 or 0.6 D3D driver. There are some nifty features and lots of fixes in 413 that are worth having.

Comment

Working...
                              X