Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard decision: Which D8 model to buy?

Hi All,

I'm considering buying new D8 this year. My decision process is before the last crossroad. I cannot decide if to buy DCR-TRV310 or DCR-TR7000

I found theses differences:

1. 3.5" SwivelCsreen LCD Monitor: 310 only
    2. ViewFinder: 310 B/W, 7000 color
    3. Buildin speaker : 310 only
    4. Fader Effects (Black, Mosaic, Bounce, Monotone, Overlap) : 7000 only
    5. f(35mm conversion) : 310: 47-820mm, 7000: 47.2-850mm
    6. Price : 7000 is $200 cheaper than 310
    7. Weight/size : 7000 is smaller and lighter.

I think 7000 is older model.

My comments and unclear thinks:

1. LCD: It's maybe biggest part of $200 price difference. Somebody has written that picture is not visible in sunlight ..somebody it does and it's perfect. I'm used to look (using my current Hi8) with one eye to viewfinder and with another one to control the situation ahead. No problem. So what does it good for?
    2. On other side if I'll choose 310 (with LCD) I'll get B/W viewfinder what is better I thing. Why? Because it has higher resolution and contrast too (compared to color) what is better for manual focusing (not often used).
    3. Maybe good for preview in cam. But I can live without it.
    4. Fader effects. I'm using only blackout that can be done with both models I suppose. Other effects are better to do on PC.
    5. I don’t understand this. It’s some lens feature.
    7. I have no opinion.

Important: Enabling DV/Analog in.

Does anybody have experience doing this on these models? Is it possible with both of them? How much have I to pay? Can I do it myself software way only? There was some links here but everything requires buying some device and also some service remote cable.

Any comments appreciated.

Ivan

[This message has been edited by IvanP (edited 14 October 1999).]

I bought a TR7000 as I don't particularly like LCD screens - you can usually only use them in near dark conditions!

Yes the colour viewfinder won't let you focus all that well but I find the auto focus works very well in all but very poor lighting. And you can set manual focus an press the auto-focus button to do the initial focus and leave it in manual to prevent the odd de-focussing that seems to occur from time to time with many consumer cameras.

Effects - OK but I tend to do this with Ulead MSPro after the recording.

The lens info refers to the zoom factor. The 7000 has a 20x optiocal zoom which is preety good but lacks a realy wide angle (in common with the 310). There's a digital zoom on top of this - but I disable it as it causes pixelationn of the picture.

I bought the LRemote s/w from Adaptive Systems and this enabled the DV and Analogue in without any bother.

Phil
    Phil
    AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

Ivan,
      Are you sure that TRV310 does not have these effects?
      I own 110, it differs from 310 only by the screen size. It has ALL!

B/W viewfinder is definitely better.
      LCD screen size is not very much important - less size on 110 has less power consumption, and (probably) brighter. I am quite satisfied with its size.
      The brightness is not enough to use LCD on sunshine. However, is it necessary?
      I found LCD useful only for shooting a bird on a wire from a window. the bird did not like my head with camcorder, but could easily take only camcorder looking at her.

If you take care and do not expose the screen to direct sun, you can use it anyway.
      The screen is VERY helpful in editing. It can reproduce field order problems in editing, and the ability to see the picture on it and hear sound transferred by firewire is very convenient.

Why did you choose 310? You definitely need extra inch for 100$ ? Take TRV110E.

If you are living in PAL country, check what models are for sale. NON-EU countries have lenses exactly as you mentioned, and working DV and analog inputs. In Belgium this summer, I saw different model, of course with blocked inputs. Somewhere in Internet I saw a digit of 80$ for input enablers. Cannot remember where.

Grigory

Comment

Ivan,

If price differences for the models in your area are similar to here in the US, I think you will get the best bang for your buck with the TRV103/110 model.

I have the NTSC 103 (same as 110) model. My experience is the same as Grigory's as far as the LCD working fine except when exposed to direct sunlight. Like you, I want to keep an eye on surroundings while shooting. With an LCD, you can hold the camera a few feet away from your head and frame the scene well. There are situations where you need to hold the camera down low, or up high. The LCD makes this very easy to do.

With the TRV103/110, the LCD works well outdoors in sunlight provided that the sunlight is not striking the screen. In that case, just use the viewfinder.

Phil, could you elaborate on the LRemote software? Did it come with a capture card?

-ANthony
        Anthony
        • Slot 1 Celeron 400, Asus P2B, 256MB PC-100
        • AGP Marvel-TV 8MB NTSC
        • Turtle Beach Montego PCI sound card
        • C: IBM 10.1, 5400, Primary on 1, System, Swap, Software
        • D: IBM 13.5, 5400, Primary on 2, Dedicated to video
        • E: Memorex 48x CD, Secondary on 1
        • F: Yamaha CD-RW 2x2x8, Secondary on 2
        • Win98, FAT32 on C: & D:
        • MediaStudio Pro 5.2

Comment

Hi,

You can look at http://www.sony-europe.com

There are also pages: http://www.sony-europe.com/camcorders/pve1.html http://www.sony-europe.com/camcorders/pve2.html

The models differ from TRV110E model that I own:
          http://www.sony.ru/products.nsf/Vide...View&Count=100

You need Russian language to read Sony.ru site.

Grigory

[This message has been edited by Grigory (edited 15 October 1999).]

Comment

Hi,

Thank you all for comments. Grigory thanks for links.
            I don't know why I've ignored TRV110. I've compleded my decision process. The winner is... DCR-TRV110E
            The most valuable arguments for this result was B/W viewfinder, LCD that can be used during editing, ..
            Now I'm going to sell my Canon Hi8. I'll miss the optical picture stabilisation but I hope the Sony's digital will be comparable.

Grigory what do you mean by:
            "The models differ from TRV110E model that I own."

I think that 'E' means Europe, i.e. disabled inputs. In my contry I can buy only 'E' models with disabled inputs. But this can by "repaired".

Ivan

Comment

As far as understood, Sony-Europe has 110/310/510 models without E.
              In my understanding, 110E has a meaning Eastern.
              Eastern countries that use PAL are parts of Soviet Union, including Russia. China, Australia, non-NTSC Asian, and some African countries use PAL too.
              On Sony-Russia site, the camcorder has x360 digital zoom (which is of no use anyway) and ENABLED inputs. The other parameters seem to be the same.
              Do you have E ending in Europe too? Sony gives only digits on its official european site.
              Maybe, you can find a link to your country on Sony-Europe site, and check the data?

regards,

Grigory

Comment

Working...
              X