problems with NFSHS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with NFSHS

hy ! i have a problem with NFSHS. it give an exception error when i start it in software o d3d mode, but i remember that two months ago i played with NFSHS and with the same pc except now i have a celly 366@550 (i tried too with my celly at 366)...have you the same problem..pleas help me...thanks
    Daniele
    My system:
    Celly 366@550
    Matrox G400 16MB
    ASUS P2B-F
    Sound Blaster 16 (((
    and other...

If you get the exception error, the game has detected that you changed something (your CPU in this case).

What you need to do is uninstall the game and reinstall it. No other way that I know around it

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

thanks but i tried 1000 ways to install and reinstall (((
      by

Comment

EA just released a patch for NFSHS. You can download it from the Adrenaline Vault here http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_t...fshs&size=2.55

Maybe it will help. I don't know what this fixes.

Comment

It might not help, but it won't hurt either... Here are some of my registry hacks. Read all the way down for posts to JW

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden, I have some questions:

I did the G200->G400 in registry and the game plays quite nice, but, I can't help but think that this only forces the game to use it's setting for G200 an apply them to G400. Would this mean that if EA made a proper G400 support the game would play even better?

And why is there such a performance hit with fog on?
            Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

All of the NFS games are Glide based, therefor support for non-glide cards is somewhat shitty (to say the least).

Maybe that in the next NFS: Porsche (80 different kinds of Porsches on your screen all the time, yikes ) EA will have more support for non-3dfx cards
              (edit: hummm, not... recommended 8Mb PCI or AGP 3dfx or D3D DirectDraw compatible cards)

At what setting do you set the fogging on? Track only or just on? I have put it to On only, and this will make the fog visual in the headlights of the car, not on the boundaries of the track as with a Voodoo X.

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 18 March 2000).]
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Porche... hmm I hope they will get the Motorcity right, too. It closely resembles one really old game where you also get to buy a car, tune it, chop roof off and then race for money for more tuning. Aww yeah, those were time.

Anyways, I have the fog set to ON (not track only). Just try this, start a race, then pause it with ESC. The camera slowly rotates around the car when paused. Go to the graphics settings and try the different fog settings. The rotation gets choppier with fog ON and TRACK ONLY , and smoother with fog OFF. There is quite a big difference there. Also, the fog affects usually light and the surroundings and horizon, but it depends on weather setting (which means - experiment with weather ON).

Damn maybe I am still too used to the voodoo I had before. I just used to install any game and it would run flawlessly (with a cool spinning logo ). No need for video setups or registry hacks. But image quality is a completely different story...

Comment

BTW: if you are really in for some eye candy, try the Superbike 2000 from EA Sports. I run that in 1280x1024x32bpp everything max and it looks awesome. And it's fun too. I never really like motorbike racing, always played the NFS series (if you are asking, yes I have them all from 1SE to 4), but this game is really close to the real thing.

YAY! and imagine that in motion... it owns...

[This message has been edited by impact (edited 18 March 2000).]

Comment

impact:
                    Anyways, I have the fog set to ON (not track only). Just try this, start a race, then pause it with ESC. The camera slowly rotates around the car when paused. Go to the graphics settings and try the different fog settings. The rotation gets choppier with fog ON and TRACK ONLY , and smoother with fog OFF. There is quite a big difference there. Also, the fog affects usually light and the surroundings and horizon, but it depends on weather setting (which means - experiment with weather ON).
                    This might be a resources leak in Windows. To be honest I don't have a problem with that. My problems start when I replay the track, with choppiness and all that.

The only time I see fog on the boundaries of the track is when I drive by night. Using vertex lights instead of projected. It's quite a cool effect to see when you come round a corner, the road slopes down, adn all you see then is fog...

I'll try to make a screenprint of it once I find out what key exactly it was under

Jord.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Get rid of the triple buffer, impact, and you will lose the choppiness in the game, playbacks and rotations in pause

Just tested it on route Andolf. Choppy as hell with triple buffer on, smooth as silk with triple buffer off.

Jord.
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Eh, oh, okay... why? Wasn't trilinear filtering the thing that ate 40% of your power and triplebuffering the thing that actually helped to gain speed?

But I'll try.

Comment

Yeah, you are right. With triplebuffer disabled, the camera rotation is much smoother with Fog ON, there's almost no difference between fog ON and OFF.

[This message has been edited by impact (edited 18 March 2000).]

Comment

impact,

Triple buffering can help speed things up on certain games where there is not a bunch of space taken inside the buffers, if there is too much memory being taken up, triple buffering can actually hurt performance.

Rags

Comment

And there is no way to tell other than try it, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X