Asus P3V4X and Quake3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P3V4X and Quake3

I read that someone else had this problem. I am atleast glad that I'm not the only one. I have been trying to fix this for hoursss! I guess its a via-matrox compatibility issue. I hope they get it fixed cause I think many peoples will be using 133a because of the coppermines and 1/2 multiplier for agp cards. Q3 and g400max worked great in my bx board. I have read to that the Via 4.20 drivers kill agp performance so stick with 4.17

I have:
    P3 550E@133=733
    g400max
    P3V4X
    128 ran

well i'm gonna try some of the fixes i've read. I'm getting real frustrated tho. I hope UT isn't this bad...i haven't even tried that yet. (i'm more a UT guy anyways)

If anyone has a suggestion plz write back

The TurboGL does not function if you have it installed un-install it. I run fine with matrox 5.52 drivers and 4.17 via drivers in win98se. Check that the bios is at least 1002 I am on 1003 beta but 1002 final is just as good.
    This board performs better with win2000 - no add-on drivers required and QIII fps scores are better than win98se - on my system (PIII600fc @800 + g400max).

Comment

Silly question, but did you try BOTH of the TurboGL drivers? The 1.0 and the 1.3?

Guess I'll find out the hard way whether or not it works this weekend...
      The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
      The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
      The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Yes i tried all the different combonation s of PD versions with TGL 1.0 and 1.3 nothing worked.

I'm beginning to think I made a bad mistake by not going with a GeForce! I hope they fix this soon or I'll never touch a Matrox product again!

Comment

It is my understanding that TurboGL 1.3 is only supported by the 5.5X drivers. If you're using 5.41 or earlier, you should use the TurboGL 1.0.

Your motherboard has any number of issues which Asus will hopefully (!) correct soon. The 5.5X/VIA problem is a known issue and has been for some time.

Can you not get the ICD to work as well or is this just a TurboGL problem?

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I tried using all the different PD drivers with and without TGL 1.0 & 1.3. without TGL i try to start a game and get the flourescent blue desktop after I try to start it

Hopefully they fix this within a couple weeks

Comment

Try DirectX7.0 + Powerdesk 5.41 + VIA 4.17 (or 4.20) ServicePack + AGP 2.X mode (without TurboGL, with uninstallation of previous drivers).

Hope this will help.

Comment

I also have an Asus P3V4X and I just updated to the latest Bios (1003).
                I managed to get Q3 to work with Powerdesk 5.30, VIA 4.17 and TGL 1.3
                Pretty strange combination of drivers but thanks to TGL the game runs fine now. I did not check performance with VIA 4.20 yet.

Hope this helps.

------------------
                The shortest distance between two points is under construction.
                The shortest distance between two points is under construction.

Comment

Ya I just dled 1003 I'll try it out thanks

Comment

Here's how I did it (can't remember which thread I saw this in).

- I started with a VIA 4.17 install and the 5.52 G400 drivers, including the TurboGL 1.3 driver set. The motherboard had BIOS 1003. Rebooted. Flashed back to 1002

- I then removed the 5.52 drivers using the uninstall proggie. Rebooted.

- Told Winblows my vid card was a generic SVGA card. Rebooted.

- Next, I removed the VIA 4.17 AGP driver ONLY. Rebooted.

- Downloaded and installed the 4.00 AGP drivers from www.via.com.tw. The vxd's dated December, 1999. Rebooted.

- Installed the 5.30 drivers (told it I didn't want to install the TurboGL drivers). Rebooted.

Walla. TurboGL works now.

- VIA's 4.00 AGP driver locks up with the 1003 driver.

- 5.30 drivers work with 4.17 AGP drivers and any BIOS, but the TurboGL 1 and 1.3 do not.

- 5.52 drivers work with the 4.17 AGP drivers, but the TurboGL 1 and 1.3 do not.

The problem seems to be with VIA's AGP driver and the BIOS on the board. According to news over at www.anandtech.com , the problem is with the AGP driver, and NOT the BIOS.

Whatever. Now TurboGL works, and I can play games without disabling my second display.

The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
                    The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
                    The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

There are certain givens here.

1. Matrox drivers other than 5.30 and sometimes 5.41 have problems with VIA chipsets in general.

2. The P3V4X has problems with the 4.20 AGP driver.

3. TurboGL 1.3 is incompatible with Matrox driver sets before PD 5.5X.

4. BIOS 1003 fixes some busmastering issues.

Has anyone tried the BIOS 1003, VIA 4.17 AGP and busmastering, TurboGL 1.0, and PD *5.41* combination? Some VIA users can use the 5.41 drivers.

Using a TNT2U, I've had better luck with a combination of the 4.17 AGP driver and the 4.20 busmastering, ACPI, and IRQ routing drivers. Has anyone tried BIOS 1003, VIA 4.17 AGP and 4.20 busmastering, etc., TurboGL 1.0, and PD 5.30?

What kind of Q3 performance are you guys getting? Given the equivalent performance of the G400 Max and the TNT2U, I would think you should be approaching 75 FPS (800x600, 16-bit/16-bit, normal defaults) if your CPU is clocked to 800 MHz.

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 19 March 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                      X