TurboGL Does not work!!....HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TurboGL Does not work!!....HELP!!

I recently upgrade my motherboard to an ASUS P3V4X and I can't get TurboGL to work with Quake3 and UT. When I load up Quake3 with TGL the screen goes white and flickers. I can still hear the menu sounds and exit by guessing. It didn't freeze or anything...just a white flickering screen. I tried all the different drivers and patches. Still no luck. Please HELP!!

I have:
    PII450
    ASUS P3V4X VIA Apollo Pro 133A
    128MB PC100 Cache2 RAM
    MATROX G400MAX
    SB Live!
    Win98SE
    and all the latest drivers/patches

------------------
    Sanjuro Makabe

Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
    ASUS P4T-EA
    Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
    ATI 8500 Retail
    SB Audigy Plat. ex+
    WinXP Pro SP1

God, where did you get it?

You should try the Matrox PowerDesk Version 5.30 drivers and download and install the latest TurboGL. Many people have found PD 5.30 works best with VIA chipsets.

Before you do that, you should reinstall the VIA drivers on the CD-ROM that came with your board. I believe they are Version 4.17. A lot of people have been having problems with the very newest VIA drivers.

1. Uninstall the Matrox drivers you are using now using Matrox's uninstaller. You can find it here:

http://www.murc.ws/driver/Win9x/PD5/un_513.zip

2. Install the Windows Standard PCI VGA drivers.

3. Install the VIA 4in1 4.17 drivers. I think they shipped with your new board.

4. Install Matrox PowerDesk 5.30. You can find them here:

http://www.murc.ws/Driver/Win9x/PD5/w9x_530.exe

You should unzip the Matrox drivers into there own directory. While in Standard VGA mode, after you install the VIA drivers, you should run the PowerDesk setup program.

Of course, reboot anytime you're prompted to.

5. Unzip the new TurboGL drivers into their own directory. Run the setup program and it will install the TurboGL driver into your game directories. If you haven't already done so, TurboGL Ver. 1.30 can be found here:

http://www.murc.ws/Driver/Win9x/PD5/TurboGL/tgl130.exe

Good luck.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Thanks for replying PaulCS,
      No luck...I tried everything you suggested...but still...the white screen flikers and only sound is played in Q3:A...any other suggestions? :P thanks
      Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
      ASUS P4T-EA
      Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
      ATI 8500 Retail
      SB Audigy Plat. ex+
      WinXP Pro SP1

Comment

by the way...where can I find the newest drivers for VIA? and do you know if I can locate the beta BIOS for ASUS P3V4X?...thx
        Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
        ASUS P4T-EA
        Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
        ATI 8500 Retail
        SB Audigy Plat. ex+
        WinXP Pro SP1

Comment

Hi,
          You can download the via drivers on the Asus website. Use Via3in1. Works perfect on my system Asus pv2.
          Flckering screen. Enable in the matrox setup the dos-tv output.

Good Luck

Comment

Oeps....

It is disable the dos-tv output, sorry.

Comment

Sanjuro, I suggest (like the others have) to use the 4.17 drivers on your ASUS CD. Then download only the AGP Driver v4.0 from VIA, install that, set your AGP Apature in the BIOS to 1X otherwise you'll get a lot of flickering and Critical Error screens in UT.
              GT Games seem to think that it may be a sound driver issue!!!!!

The Beta BIOS is at: ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Slot_I/VIA_Chipset/Apollo_Pro_133A/P3V-4X/ and the file name is 1002_002.zip.

Also, a few of us Aussie P3V4X owners have just (today) started up a site for the P3V4X, it hasn't got a lot on it just yet, but it'll grow, the site is http://hammer.prohosting.com/~asusv4x/ as I said there isn't much on it yet.

HTH

Marz.

Comment

Sorry for being so ignorant..but Sanden how do you disable DOS-TV output...thx

Marz...where can I find the AGP V4.0...thx
                Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
                ASUS P4T-EA
                Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
                ATI 8500 Retail
                SB Audigy Plat. ex+
                WinXP Pro SP1

Comment

You turn the DOS TVout off with the bios utilities. It atcually flashes the G400 bios for that DOS TVout stuff.

Download the BIOS utils for your card, and run UBIOSWIN.exe. You will find what you are looking for there...
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hi Sanjuro,

I got exact the same effect sometimes by starting Q3 ARENA, but when I restart the system WIN98 and delete the q3config.cfg file, Q3 works fine.

It seems, that MATROX doesn`t want to correct errors in the TURBOGL for Pentium 2.

Q3 DM0
                    -corrupted mirror
                    -corrupted teleport

e.g. Q3 DM17 and all open space big maps.
                    -image clipping z-buffer problems(identical to UT).

regards
                    RAMBO

Comment

I use the P2 TGL, and do not get the mirror and portal problems you describe.
                      Have you tried what Rags suggested to you in another thread, and turned on high-detailed sky?
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Here are a couple of snapshots I just took, using the 1.3 PII TGL (and high detail sky ENABLED)...
                        http://users.forethought.net/~hti/Q3MIRR.jpg http://users.forethought.net/~hti/Q3PORT.jpg

Comment

Thanks Kruzin, I`ve seen the screenshots. I also have some screenshots, but I don`t know how to post them to the forum. Please give me an advice.
                          Take a look at this tread "http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003134.html", I have answered there RAGS questions.

regards
                          Rambo

Comment

Thanks everyone for helping me to get TurboGL working. I finally got it to work. This is a very wierd problem, this is what I
                            did:

reboot
                            flashed ASUS P3V4X 1002 BETA BIOS
                            reboot
                            flashed Matrox BIOS to disable DOS TV-OUTPUT
                            reboot
                            I uninstalled PD5.52
                            reboot
                            choose standard VGA
                            reboot
                            uninstall AGP 4.17
                            reboot
                            reinstall AGP 4.0
                            reboot
                            install PD5.30
                            reboot
                            install TGL (latest one)
                            reboot (just for the hell of it)
                            deleted the Q3 cfg file
                            and start Q3...IT WORKS!!

Here is the thing...F**k...all that reboot...for nothing...not only is TGL had no performance upgrade...it is even slower than the normal OpenGL...WHY!?!?

And Why is PD5.52 not compatible with TGL? Coz I uninstalled PD5.3 and reinstalled 5.52 to see if it's PD thats causing the problem...and I found that PD5.52 is NOT COMPATIBLE with TGL!!...*SIGH*

What should I do?!...First I bought this card because it had all the features like DH and EMBM together with a strong enough 3d Acceleration...I got it the first day it was available in my city...
                            since that day...everything goes bad...first OpenGL was crap...(ok..it was fixed)...I was a little happier...then ppl told me my G400MAX is NOT AGP4X compatible...(ok...AGP4X and AGP2X has no diff rite now)...I was a little happier...then TGL had no performance increase...man...would anyone tell me WHAT I should DO?!...does anyone have a NON-AGP4X compat card?...what do you think Matrox will do...

Sorry for the long message but I am just a little depressed after all that rebooting... ....

BTW...thanks everyone again for helping me

Sanjuro Makabe

Pentium 4B 2.26GHz
                            ASUS P4T-EA
                            Samsung 512MB Rambus-T
                            ATI 8500 Retail
                            SB Audigy Plat. ex+
                            WinXP Pro SP1

Comment

Sanjuro-

TurboGL is optimised for lower resolutions (640x480 and 800x600) once you hit 1024, they are about the same, above that the regular ICD is usually a little faster.

Run your comparison again at 800x600, and TGL should be faster than the ICD.

And TGL does work for most people with 5.52. Folks with VIA chipsets on their mobos are the ones who usually have problems. It's something Matrox is aware of, and working to resolve.

Comment

Working...
                              X