Direct3D doesnt work!! Help me!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct3D doesnt work!! Help me!!

Whenever I play a game that uses Direct3D the game comes on, and then freezes. OpenGL games such as Quake 3 are fine but i have to play D3D games in software render which means the graphics are poor quality.
    I have a Millenium G400(16MB,300MHz), 64MBRAM, 450MHz AMD K6-2, and a ALi M1541 motherboard running on Win98.
    I have downloaded pathes for the games but these have no effect. I also have the latest G400Drivers which havent solved the problem.
    Help me please!!!
    Cheers
    Lee

First question I have, Lee, is this:

Have you looked in the Adapter tab of the Display Control Panel? Is the G400 being detected properly?

Next question: Have you tried reinstalling DirectX? With all the patches (even if you have the 7.0a engine, you still need the version 6 patches for Direct Media and DirectAnimation, which you can get from Microsoft's DirectX download site)? Perhaps one of your games has installed an older version without asking and overwritten some crucial files.

The fact that patches don't work implies (to me) that one of 2 things is most likely wrong:[list=1][*] Your software (G400 drivers or DX) is not correctly installed (meaning that the games are looking for the applicable files and settings in the right place, but they just isn't there);[*] The games are not configured correctly (meaning that the applicable files and settings are correct, but the game is looking for other files and settings which are not present).[/list=a]

Or I guess your card could be buggy, but that's a lot less likely than a config problem.

You'll have to wait for a SS7 guru to show up to say if that could be the problem as well, but if OGL runs, it seems unlikely to me... I think you have a pure Windows issue.

<u>Please list which games you are trying to run in D3D</u>... that may tell us more, as well.

-------------------
    Holly

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 09 March 2000).]

Comment

Well I have tried everything you told me to do but to no avail. However, i was talking to someone i know and they had the same problem. He gave me the solution which is simply to disable BUS mastering. This is a default setting and by altering it the problem is no more.
      Cheers for the help anyway.
      A simple but annoying problem is now gone
      Lee

Comment

Disabling bus mastering is not a fix. It's a troubleshooting procedure. With BM disabled, the card is running WAY slower than it should. (~30-50% performance hit)

Give us a complete list of your IRQs from your device manager. This may help track down a real fix...
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

On the matrox forum you have this form that you must fill in, seems like a good idea to have our own form, so I made an improved version:

Please copy and paste the following text into your post and be sure to fill out each field as accurately as possible:

Matrox Graphic Card:
          Model #:
          PD version:
          VT version:
          MGA Bios version:
          Motherboard chipset:
          CPU:
          Motherboard Bios:
          Desktop resolution and color depth:
          Direct X version:
          Hard Drive:
          SCSI card type:
          Sound card and driver version:
          Monitor brand:
          DVD-ROM Drive (make/model):
          Others:

IRQ listing:
          0: system timer
          1: keyboard
          2: interrupt controller
          3: COM2
          4: COM1
          5:
          6: floppy disk controller
          7: LPT1
          8: realtime clock
          9:
          10:
          11:
          12: PS/2 mouse
          13: numeric data processor
          14: primary IDE controller
          15: secondary IDE controller

Detailed Explanation of the problem:

Comment

Great idea, Hunsow... but for that "Detailed explanation of the problem:" line...

... since as you have seen above, Wibble1479 no longer has a problem, having disabled bus mastering.

*ahem*

Would those of you remaining prefer to bet on:[list=1][*] how long it will take for a new thread to appear, or[*] whether the new thread will be a complaint about degraded performance, or about another symptom of the unsolved conflict?[/list=a]

But I'm not jaded and cynical...

----------------------
            Holly

Comment

Well, I'll tack on something as well. Although no one may ever see it. Disabling bus mastering on ALi chipset mobo and having things work is a sign that the chipset drivers aren't up to date. I myself have an ALi board and thats exactly the same thing that happened to me before I installed the ALi drivers. You can download the latest drivers here. http://www.ali.com.tw/eng/support/driver.shtml(The site is painfuly slow as the server is located in Taiwan, you just have to deal with it.)
              You need to get the 1.65e AGP miniport drivers as well as the 3.55 IDE drivers.
              First use the Matrox uninstaller to remove PD and the Matrox drivers. Reboot the computer and let it detect the VGA video adapter. Reboot again. Install both the AGP drivers and the IDE drivers. Reboot, windows will detect a whole bunch of new devices now. If it asks you to reboot keep saying no until you get into windows. Reboot again. Now reinstall the Matrox drivers.

You should then be able to play D3D games with bus mastering on.

Good Luck
              HedsSpaz

[This message has been edited by HedsSpaz (edited 10 March 2000).]
              Primary System:
              MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
              120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
              Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
              Seccondary System:
              Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
              3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
              Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
              Tertiary system
              Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
              Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

WEEEE!! Since I'm in a good mood(finally got Murcer status!) and since I have a T1 at work, I though it would be helpful if I made it easier for people to get these drivers since the assorted ALi mirrors are so damn slow. So here's my personal mirror in the US. It's a good reliable server and you shouldn't have any trouble. http://w3.one.net/~dlee/ian/mp3
                yeah, I know, the directory isn't actually what it say it is. I removed all of my mp3's a while back. You should just get a directory listing. Both of the drivers are in there.

have fun

HedsSpaz

------------------
                System Specs
                K6-2 350 @ 400
                Asus P5A
                256 MB PC133 SDRAM
                Matrox Mill G200 AGP PD 5.41/5.30 hybrid
                SBLive value LiveWare 3.0
                13.6 GB 7200RPM UDMA33 IBM HD
                8.4 GB 5400RPM UDMA33 WD HD (Dead, still trying to rescusitate)
                45X Acer CD-ROM
                Win98 se
                Red Hat 6.1
                Win2000 (to be added soon)
                Soon to be
                Athlon 650 (got it! YEA!!)
                128 mb PC133 SDRAM (got it! YEA!!)
                Tyan S3280 (pre ordered, ETA, 3/20! WEEEE!!!)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Primary System:
                MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                Seccondary System:
                Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                Tertiary system
                Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

Comment

Found the culprit to a SIMILAR D3D problem...

If you have a g400 ..Do NOT use the updated 204k D3dDrv.dll that Epic and others suggest. It gave me a Black screen O' Death.

Make sure that you are using the standard 200k D3dDrv.dll driver in your game folders.

It fixed my problems.

tIgGeR

------------------
                  The Wonderful thing about tIgGers is tIgGers are fast deadly and sneaky. ;-)
                  The Wonderful thing about tIgGers is tIgGers are fast deadly and sneaky. ;-)

Comment

Well, I really need some help. Same type of problem as this thread spoke about except I am a clueless 50yearold who just got The Need for Speed High Stakes for my birthday and the rendering is bad.............
                    G400-16mb-latest bios
                    K7-750
                    MSI-6167-latest bios
                    PD 5.30
                    please guide me as to what specific info you'all need inorder to make an educated guess as to what I need to change.

Comment

hey JW...make sure the game recognizes your
                      card....find the game in ur "start" menu and
                      click on 3D Device setup...try that and lemme
                      know...
                      Caprice

------------------
                      P3-450 o/c 558
                      Abit BH6
                      128 PC100
                      G400 SH 32M o/c MAX spex
                      SB Live X-Gamer
                      Pioneer 6X DVD
                      Maxtor 10 Gig H.D.
                      Fujitsu 13 Gig H.D.
                      Win98 SE
                      Samsung Synchmaster 17"
                      Logitech C/L Mouse/Kybrd
                      Altec Lansing ACS56
                      oh yea! and a 3M Precise
                      Mouse pad!!
                      P3-450 o/c 558
                      Abit BH6
                      128 PC100
                      G400 SH 32M o/c MAX spex
                      SB Live X-Gamer
                      Pioneer 6X DVD
                      Maxtor 10 Gig H.D.
                      Fujitsu 13 Gig H.D.
                      Win98 SE
                      Samsung Synchmaster 17"
                      Logitech C/L Mouse/Kybrd
                      Altec Lansing ACS56
                      oh yea! and a 3M Precise
                      Mouse pad!!

Comment

Hi, I remember that NFS:HS never detected my g400 properly until I went and applied a registry hack that I found somewhere on these forums. When I get home I'll look for it and post it.
                        Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Of course, there is also this search button.

This is what I did:

check in the d3dsetup if it's chosen the right videocard (being the G400)
                          If it didn't, check in the registry that on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ELECTRONIC ARTS\3D DATA\CARD6 it shows Group "D3D" and Name "Matrox G400"
                          If anything else shows there, change it to Matrox G400.
                          Run NFS:HS... still problems?

From this post

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000896.html
                          Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Hi,
                            NO-GO
                            I checked the d3d setup and it gives two choices:
                            1 software renderer
                            2 direct 3d device 1

I went into the registry and found card 6, it was G200 and I changed it to G400 but this didn't change the behavior of the game. More suggestions?????? I hope.
                            j

Comment

i have tried everything from moving around the cards in different slots but nowt has any affect apart from disabling bus mastering.
                              Anyone got an other solutions?

Comment

Working...
                              X