Dual modems and Quake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual modems and Quake

I have stopped using the dual modem setup (mostly because I was tired of paying the extra bucks for another phone line, and the extra fee from my ISP). Aside from that, I did like the dual setup.

It does help in games, but not in the way most people expect. Your ping is not going to change that much. Dual modems means 56k doubled. That doesn't mean 112k...it means 56k twice. Your maximum connection speed is still the same (53k), therefore the ping stays about the same.

Where it does help is in dropped packets. With the dual connection, you loose far fewer network packets, making the game play "smoother", especially in heavy action. You may even be able to turn up your cl_maxfps 5-10 fps because of the added bandwidth.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Thanks for the reply. I was kind of wondering about the ping, whether it pings across both modems or just one.... anyway,
    I agree with you about the second phone line and the extra isp fee. Actually, I just wanted to try this out for one month just to see how it works. i'm looking forward to cable modem and dsl coming to my area soon
    pentium III @550mhz
    intel 440BX pci chipset
    512mb memory, g400max,
    cybervision C70 monitor
    win2000 on maxtor 8.4 gb

Comment

Dual modems and Quake

Kruzin, I noticed in a previous post you were using a dual modem setup. Did you notice any performance increase (ping/lag) when playing internet games ? I just installed a second modem and purchased the multilinking option from my isp. There's definetly a double speed performance increase in all internet activity except for quake. Anybody know if there's any configuration settings I can use to optimize
      internet gaming for 2 modems ? rob_b

------------------
      pentium II @300mhz
      intel 440lx pci chipset
      64mb memory, g400max,
      cybervision C70 monitor
      dual boot: win2000 from a maxtor 8.4 gb, win95 from a maxtor 4.3 gb
      pentium III @550mhz
      intel 440BX pci chipset
      512mb memory, g400max,
      cybervision C70 monitor
      win2000 on maxtor 8.4 gb