Matrox Server for UT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox Server for UT

If you've been trying to get on the Matrox server to play Unreal Tournament recently and you're seeing a download screen before loading, it's because the server has added the newly released "Bonus Pack" for UT. You can get it here http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...0044-108-58371 or more general info about it at http://www.epicgames.com/

The relics feature adds a different "feel" to the game. I'm not sure yet whether I like it or not. The new maps are nice.
    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

I guess i'll be the first one to say I can't stand those relic things. I stopped playing on the Matrox server because of them. I may pop in from time to time, but i'd rather play where they are not active, or switch to Quake3 and stay on the server. I'm sure i'll get flamed for posting this but oh well, in my opinion it's not as fun with those things as it was before.
    PIII 700@960, Asus CUSL2, Adaptec 29160, 2x Seagate Barracuda 18.2GB, SB LIve!, 3COM 3C905TX, 256MB Muskin Rev. 2 PC133 at 2-2-2, G400MAX soon the be replaced with ?.

Comment

The new maps are amazing. I agree with cpld005, I don't like having all the relics in the game especially the one that explodes after you kill someone. I guess I wouldn't mind if there were just a couple of relics in a map, but having relics everywhere takes too much away from the game.

Matrox(Haig), can you reduce the number of relics in a game? I think it would be better if everyone wasn't running around with a supercharged relic, they should be quite rare and hard to find.

Post your opinions everyone.

xippo

Comment

At first I REALLY hated them. Now that I've gotten more familiar with them, I find situations where they're kinda fun. But for the most part, I think I have to agree with Yokomo (cpld005) and Xippo that they change the game strategy too much.
        I found myself searching for the skull relic and then standing in the middle of a large area baiting someone to kill me. I don't think this was the way UT was intended to be played. Although I finally won a couple games that way.
        It would be nice if there were a way to have the relics in a selected number of maps (but I don't think that's possible) or as Xippo pointed out, maybe reduce the available active ones.
        I kind of miss the team play as well...
        My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

I don't like the relics! They seem to take something away from the game play.
          I will say this I DO like the new maps they a way COOL!!
          I also miss the team play, Haig can we start doing the team thing again?? It adds that
          little something to the game and makes it more fun!!

Oboy
          Time to make the wafers!
          Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
          jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

I finally ponied up the dough and bought UT. I like it alot - much better than Q3A.

I haven't downloaded the bonus pack yet (waiting for cable - 2 weeks!). Last time I downloaded a big add-on for a game, I got burned (counter-strike for HL - UGH what a turd!).

Anyway, my question - when do you guys play on the Matrox server? I've looked a lot and never found anyone else on.

Please say what times & days (generally speaking) you are on the server.

------------------
            PIII 550 (not O/C'ed)
            IWill Motherboard 133
            VIA Chipset
            128Meg RAM
            G400 DH 32MB (5.41 Drivers)
            DirectX 7.0
            SB Live! Value
            8x DVD (Toshiba)
            6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
            Optiquest V95 19"
            HP 812C Color Ink Jet
            Microtek flatbed scanner
            Intellimouse Explorer
            Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
            AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!
            PIII 550@605
            IWill Motherboard VD133
            VIA Chipset
            512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
            G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
            DirectX 8.0a
            SB Live! Value
            8x DVD (Toshiba)
            6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
            Intel Pro/100+ NIC
            3Com CMX Cable Modem
            Optiquest V95 19"
            HP 812C Color Ink Jet
            Microtek flatbed scanner
            Intellimouse Explorer
            Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
            AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Ahartman, what do you think of your Iwill motherboard?

I notice you're using the 5.41 drivers? Any issues? What VIA drivers are you using?

I'm picking up the Asus VIA Apollo Pro 133A board today. I know the chipsets are somewhat different, but I'm curious about your experiences.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

With respect to the UT Service Pack, I'd recommend avoid cnet altogether. That is unless your nostalgic for your old 14.4 modem days.

I have a DSL connection. I started downloading right after my last post, took a street car and two buses across San Francisco in the middle of a monsoon to pick up a motherboard, returned home, and the file was just over 50 downloaded.

I hit the cancel button, went to VoodooExtreme, and downloaded it off their ftp site in less than seven minutes.

ftp://ftp.voodooextreme.com/pub2/voodooextreme/UTBonusPack.zip

I can't stand cnet.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Hi guys,

UT is now set for Team DM and have only enabled 3 relics - Vengeance, Regen, Speed.

Haig

Comment

Thanks Haig
                    Hope to see you there!! Thanks again to you and Matrox for setting up the server!! I have been having a ball!!!

Oboy
                    Time to make the wafers!
                    Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

Comment

Thanks Haig!!!

Hey Oboy, get back to work!!! What are you doing cruising the Forums at work...LOL

Paul
                      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

ABLPM, Looks who's thalking LOL

[This message has been edited by Oboy (edited 08 March 2000).]
                        Time to make the wafers!
                        Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

Comment

Looks like i'll be back playing UT on the server then. I can handle a few relics, but them all over the place like it was wasn't much fun for me.
                          PIII 700@960, Asus CUSL2, Adaptec 29160, 2x Seagate Barracuda 18.2GB, SB LIve!, 3COM 3C905TX, 256MB Muskin Rev. 2 PC133 at 2-2-2, G400MAX soon the be replaced with ?.

Comment

Who me!!! Why I never...YaHooo!!! 15 minutes till quiting time...LOL

Paul
                            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Thanks Haig. Sounds like a good setup.

Ahartman: Regarding your question as to what time most people play, it's kindof a hit and miss situation. Some nights there's very few players (if any) and other nights it's wild. I'd have to say, many of the people here play in the evenings -- usually between 8:00pm and midnight (their local time). Seems most of the people I play against are in North America which are spread between Pacific Time and Eastern Time zones, but I know there's others from all over.

[This message has been edited by Beezer (edited 09 March 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X