Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG with 704x576 resolution?

Hi everybody,
    at the moment I'm doing a couple of videos in 704x576 for a friend of mine who is going to use them as projections for a concert he will be performing in about 3 weeks. I'm using a Rainbow Runner Studio.

The problem is that I do not want to carry my computer to the concerts so we have to convert the MJPG-movies to a generic format like MPG. This way we can use a laptop on stage. Is there a way to convert to MPG without having to resize to 352x288 (PAL)? Or is there another video format we could use that would be playable on a PC without a RR-Studio?

Thanks in advance,
    Thorsten

Depending on what is:
    1. CPU power
    2. Hard drive space available

a)Mpeg 1 - cannot play well at full resolution. Not enough CPU power.
    b)Microsoft Mpeg4 v2 or v3: 352x288 at 3000 kilobits per sec is practical limit for PII 300 CPU too.
    c) Indeo 5.11 frame size is also limited by CPU power.

All a-c options may work with say 512x384 video. But you have to deinterlace MJPEG before compressing in such format.

If you have built-in hardware-accelerated MPEG2 player in notebook, you can try MPEG2 compression. Modern CPU power is not enough for full size software-only MPEG2 decoding.

You can also try morgan mjpeg at 352x288. It has the best quality, but may take up to 1.5 MB/sec data.

I don't know reasonable and 100% reliable software-only solution for 704x576 frame size, however, some experimenting with a-c options may give you acceptale quality at intermediate size.

Grigory

Comment

I understood that 704*576 is not a supported MPG resolution (at least, I got an error message saying that when I tried to convert at this res).

You could try a direct conversion to ASF using On Demand Producer from MS (it's free). A lot of folk here use it to reduce file sizes when posting to the web. I've never tried doing a full size conversion tho, so I can't tell you how good the quality will be.

Comment

Try MPEG-2. DVD uses it at 720x576 resolution, although you need quite a bit of processing power to decode it.

Comment

Grigory! "All a-c options may work with say 512x384 video. But you have to deinterlace MJPEG before compressing in such format."
          Proper words in proper time. I need exactly this format. Is it possible to deinterlace Matrox MJPEG with MS 5.0 and convert it into 512x384 MPEG-1 video? Or what kind of software do I need?
          Thank you.

Comment

Sweeper,

I use Premiere 4.2 for editing, and Xing Mpeg plugin for it.
            Premiere can do deinterlacing and resizing correctly.
            MSPRO, I suppose, too. You have to experiment with it. However, you are limited to AVI format with it. I don't like Ulead MPEG compressor, and it does not allow such frame size.
            As an option, you can try to make the movie firat with morgan mjpeg codec and then convert it to another format.

There are programs like fast movie processor that can do correct resizing and deinterlacing for avi. I don't think these programs are better than MSPRO, but the options to choose are definitely easier to find. Look at winfiles.com

VirtualDub application seemes to have nice features: http://www.concentric.net/~psilon/virtualdub.html

The stability of previous release was ...
            However, if it works, you can find some filtering useful. Nice utility, when it works.

Grigory

Comment

Working...
            X