STILL no openGL in Tribes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STILL no openGL in Tribes

I've installed the latest power desk, and the latest turboGL availiable and when I try to switch from software mode to openGL, the screen flickers a few times and then goes black. then I am stuck manually turning the system off because there is no way to get back to windows. According to the TurboGL instructions I'm supposed to set my aperature for my AGP to 256 in the bios, but it only goes to 128...is this my problem?? someone help please, because software mode stinks.

system specs:

AMD K6-III 450
    Soyo SY-5EHM AT motherboard
    128 megs pc100
    soundblaster live soundcard
    g400 max video card
    Windows 98 SE
    NEC Multisync XE-15 monitor

I've got a PIII 500 here with an abit Bx6 motherboard...will I have more success If I put the G400 in that box??
    Matt

KickASCII,
    I think I've got the same problem here....I've got a G400Max and AbitBX6r2 board .. I just downloaded the new OpenGL drivers, and when I use the TurboGL manager to scan for supported games Tribes is not listed and with the new drivers I thought that Tribes on that list of supported games.
    ....maybe someone can shine a little insight on this, 'cause I'm at a loss.

Comment

Have you tried these?

http://www.murc.ws/Driver/Win9x/PD5/TurboGL/tgl130.exe

This is the TurboGL upgrade released on Friday. If you haven't already done so, unzip them into their own directory and run the setup program. It will install TurboGL 1.03 in supported game directories and update TurboGL Manager.

KickASCII, it sounds like your problem may be different than a TurboGL issue. List your IRQ's. Also, make sure the G400 is completely in the AGP slot and properly aligned. This is a common problem with the G400. Sometimes when you screw the board in, the back pops up a little bit.

Also, did you completely uninstall your old board's video drivers? Running the uninstall option for most drivers will only remove the software. The drivers will remain in your Windows System directory. You might want to check the registry for entries related to your old board as well.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I'm using the turboGL drivers from friday, and it was a fresh install of win98 on that system, so there were no other video card drivers I had to remove. I'm positive the card is plugged in correctly, as everything else (including Tribes in software mode) works fine. when you go into openGL the screen flickers a few times and then black screen and instant system hang.

Matt

Comment

"I've got a PIII 500 here with an abit Bx6 motherboard...will I have more success If I put the G400 in that box??"

Probably.
          Almost definatly.

Many K6-x users have similar problems.
          For starters, if that motherboard is based on a VIA chipset, you will not get TurboGL to work on drivers higher than 5.30.
          Then there are VIA drivers that you have to deal with (but I'll let a VIA owner tell you about them).

Then there is Tribes itself. It's a Glide game. The patched-in OGL support in it was half written by Nvidia. While it does run decently with the latest TurboGL and drivers, I think you are going to have a bear of a time getting it to run in that rig.

Personally, I think it would be easier (and you would be happier with the card) if you dropped it into the Intel box.
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

thanks for the assist! popped the card in my PIII system, installed the 5.52 powerdesk, installed TurboGL 1.30 and boom! OpenGL and tribes working fine. Looks like we have a winner too...graphics that rival the V3 3000 I just yanked.

------------------
            Matt
            Matt

Comment

I forgot, I also changed the AGP aperature in the Abit BX6 bios settings to 256...hope this helps someone else resolve the problem
              Matt

Comment

Working...
              X