New TGL 1.3 and non-Intel chipsets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TGL 1.3 and non-Intel chipsets

I am sorry to say that the new TurboGL for K6-2/3 will not work in VIA MVP3 unless PD5.30 is used. Even though, the new TGL1.3 setup refused to install on PD5.30. I had to take out the TurboGL, expanded it renamed it to OPENGL32.DLL and put in in my Quake2 directory. The new TurboGL is slightly faster than the previous ones.

I tried to trace into the code of K6 TurboGL, with the older version on PD5.41 and the latest version in PD5.52, and both of them stuck inside a repetative loop in G400DD32.DLL as it is called by DDRAW.DLL for performing surface creation.

If anyone ever gets TurboGL work with PD5.41 and above on non-Intel chipsets especially VIA, please share with us how to make it. It seems that even VIA slot1 chipsets also have problem with TurboGL. Too bad, that Matrox didn't validate their drivers on non-Intel chipsets.

KJ Liew

I'm running the 5.52 drivers with the newest TurboGL drivers on my K7M + Athlon K7 system. Works perfect. 5.41 and earlier TurboGL drivers worked too. Only problem I had was using the ICDs from the 5.50.xx betas!

Comment

TGL 1.3 + K7M + PD 5.52 =
      hi

Comment

Paradox and ParaKnowYa, just for future reference, what VIA drivers are you using? Could you list them all? It's my understanding that nothing but the 4.17 drivers work with the Asus Apollo Pro 133A board. (This, apparently, is an Asus specific problem.)

It's good to see you can use PD 5.52 with a VIA chipset.

Thanks.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Latest version of everything (as of 3/4/00)

I had to upgrade AGP, and PCI Bridge drivers to get around the Plaid Screen of Death. Everything works fine now, however I think due to a power related issue my computer sometimes locks up when it asks for the network password...
          hi

Comment

K7M is using AMD751 Irongate chipsets. It has nothing to do with VIA driver. Even if VIA 686 Super South is used, it has nothing to do with AGP. AGP is in the North side. As I can read from other posts, that VIA Appollo Pro 133/133A did have problems with TGL.

I can also use PD5.52 with all functionalities including the improved ICD. However, even the latest ICD is lagging about 10FPS behind the latest TGL with PD5.30 as tested with Quake2 timedemo demo1.dm2 in 800x600x16. This is a significant number. It seems that the K6 TGL cannot work with the latest PD other than PD5.30. And, this is annoying.....

Pauls,
            I am using VIA AGP GART V4.00 downloaded from Reactor Critical. I will not use tha 4-in-1 driver as VIA IDE driver is not as good as Microsoft. And, I can't understand why VIA put two versions of AGP driver inside the 4-in-1 driver packages. There is always version 3.30 in dir\AGP33 and latest AGP in dir\AGP. And when I used 4-in-1 driver last time, the setup installed the old 3.30 for me, other than their latest ones. From that day onwards, I will only use single AGP drivers download from VIA.

Hope to hear some feedback on TGL with VIA/ALi chipsets.

[This message has been edited by kjliew (edited 05 March 2000).]
            KJ Liew

Comment

Hi Guys,

I for one am not impressed with the Matrox support for SS7. I would love to upgrade to a newer chipset, purely so I can get some more speed out of my system, but money is the issue here (how come I never earn enough!!!)

I try all the new drivers when they come out, and I am sorry to say that every time I have to revert back to 5.30 due to lockups/crashes.

I am currently downloading 5.52 and TGL 1.30 at the moment, and when they are finished I will install them and report back. I hope that they will work this time!! (Fingers crossed!)

Thanks,

Richie

------------------
              -------------------------
              Systems:

Mine :
              AMD K6-2 400
              FIC VA-503+
              64MB PC-100
              Matrox G400
              17GB HD
              36x CD-ROM
              Logictec Trackman Marble +

Hers:
              AMD K6-2 450
              FIC VA-503+
              64MB
              Matrox Mystique 220
              Voodoo 2
              2GB HD
              6.4GB HD
              6x CD-ROM

Spare:
              Intel P200 MMX
              TX M/B
              32MB
              Cirrus Logic 5446 (2MB)
              Voodoo 1
              2GB HD
              24x SCSI CD-ROM
              2x2x6 SCSI RICOH MP6200S CD-ReWriter
              Systems:

Mine :
              AMD K6-2 400
              FIC VA-503+
              64MB PC-100
              Matrox G400
              17GB HD
              36x CD-ROM

Hers:
              AMD K6-2 450
              FIC VA-503+
              64MB
              Matrox Mystique 220
              Voodoo 2
              2GB HD
              6.4GB HD
              6x CD-ROM

Spare:
              Intel P200 MMX
              TX M/B
              32MB
              Cirrus Logic 5446 (2MB)
              Voodoo 1
              2GB HD
              24x SCSI CD-ROM
              2x2x6 SCSI RICOH MP6200S CD-ReWriter

Comment

Paradox mentioned the latest drivers which is what I use too but let me remind you, the K7M does not need all Via drivers because Asus used the AMD751 on this one! I.E. AGP drivers are the AMD ones, newest version 4.61 is installed here! Notice however that the stuff (earlier Matrox drivers/ TurboGLs) worked well too!

Comment

Hmm... Well, Matrox have neglected SS7 users again. Halflife ran for all of, oh, about 10 ms!!!

Still, at least it is easy to switch back to the old drivers!!!

Cheers,

Richie
                  Systems:

Mine :
                  AMD K6-2 400
                  FIC VA-503+
                  64MB PC-100
                  Matrox G400
                  17GB HD
                  36x CD-ROM