Increase FPS by overclocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increase FPS by overclocking?

My Sytem is a P3 500 with 64MB Ram, but I only got a G200 (8MB) graphics card.
    So I thought that I could gain some fps by overclocking my G200.
    I downloaded MGA-Tweak 1.20 , but I don't know much about overclocking.
    That's why I hope that somebody can tell me which values are save to use with my card.

Thx!

------------------
    keep on fraggin' !
    Pentium3 500Mhz
    192MB Ram
    Matrox Millennium G200(8MB)

First I would suggest getting the Matrox tweak utility. It is easier to use for a new
    person. I have a hard time with the MGATweak
    program. It is a bit cryptic at first. But Matrox Tweak Utility(availiable at Matroxes website) is easy to use.
    Just start by setting it to about %108 and
    then test it by playing a full screen 3D game that really taxes your system. Play it for an hour or so so it gets a chance to get hot. If you see wierd colours or lines or other artifacts that shouldn't be there, probably you need to set it back a couple of percent. But if all is well, crank it up a bit at a time until it gives you a problem and then set it back a percent or two. Don't leave it at the too high setting for to long tho as excess heat(that is what gives the strange artifacts)can damage the actual chip.
    This will help a bit with the fill rate(this is where the G200 is limited)and you should see some results. But Ultimately you need to get a G40032meg card to really play todays games(and tomorrows to hopefully) well. I noticed a larger difference when I went from G2008meg to G40032meg than when I went from a celeron 337 to a celeron 525. I had to save up for a bit tho, so I understand if money is a prob. And grab another stick of ram is you can afford it. There is proof of how much that helps in this same forum farther up.

------------------
    AsusP2B ,iCeleron525(7x75), 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.5010, 1 grey cat, one black cat and one calico

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Oh and Elemental, I noticed by your nick that maybe you play some Mech3? That game gets some artifacts on the screen sometimes that look alot like overclocked card probs, but they're not. So use something else to test with.

------------------
      AsusP2B ,iCeleron525(7x75), 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.5010, 1 grey cat, one black cat and one calico

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

I have the Matrox Tweak Utility, but the only option is to disable FlipOnVBlank.
        No overclocking!
        By the way: What is FlipOnVBlank (something like vsync?)?

Please help?

------------------
        keep on fraggin' !
        Pentium3 500Mhz
        192MB Ram

Comment

There should be a slide bar in the bottom of the window to overclock your card, but first you need to check the box saying using overclocking then choose the res you want to overclock. Check another box say overclock this res then you will allow to slide the bar. The FlipOnVBlank is Vsync.
          Yuet

Comment

That's because the Matrox Tweak Utility can only overclock the G400.

Comment

Back to my first question:

Which values are save to use in MGA-Tweak?

Hope someone can help me!

THX!
              Pentium3 500Mhz
              192MB Ram

Comment

Leave everything untouched and increase only the PLL in 5MHz steps and do some intense tests like Q3 or UT ...

when you don't get any errors (lockups, graphical glitches) increase 5MHz further.

PS: my old G200 Mystique (Rev-5) went from deafult 112Mhz mem clock all the way up to 164MHz and all I did was attaching an old P2 CPU fan on top of the heatsink ...

------------------
                Cheers,
                Maggi

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...
                Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                LG BH10LS38
                LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
                X