Memory makes the difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory makes the difference

I've recently bought another 128mb ram, and now I'm on 256. I was pleasantly suprised when I loaded up UT and could finally run it it 1024x768, full detail. I'm getting about 36/37 fps as well. I'm happy... One thing that didn't improve though was my Quake performance... nothing new there, still 37/38 fps, full detail.

Like I always say, memory is like money, you can never have enough...

Matrox G400 DH 32MB, PIII 450, 256 MB Memory.

Well, I tried changing the memory allocation for Quake, but I have recieved to extra fps... Am I doing something wrong?

Comment

I also upgraded from 96 to 128 megs and Quake 3 is a lot better with max textures on. Of course, I changed hunkmegs.

Comment

I went from 64 to 128 to 196 to 224 to 320 and UT just gets better each time! Its insane... BTW i like running in 1280 high detail @ 35fps...

------------------
        PIII 450 @ 504
        generic BX motherboard
        G400 MAX : )
        GlobalWin VOS32!
        Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
        Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
        Creative 36x CD-ROM
        96 megs PC100 RAM
        128 megs PC133 ECC RAM
        NetGear 10/100
        Soundblaster 32 AWE
        Diamond SupraExpress 56k
        Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
        1 92mm Sunon Fan
        4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Comment

i upgraded to 256 mb ram from 128, and for q3a, the hd isn't even TOUCHED. it's great.

what's this hunkmeg thing?
          ==
          "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

Comment

Hunkmegs is in q3config.cfg.
            The value is the RAM the game allocates at startup. I think setting it to 3/4 your total RAM is addequate.

------------------
            Remember folks:
            "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers"
            Pablo Picasso

Comment

How much cache do you use with UT ? and how did i get to that menu from the console =)

I only have 128mb so.. =)

Pe-Te

Comment

In UT console type PREFERENCES (with a return). The advanced options should show up. Cache Size is under the first menu item (I think). I set mine to about 75% of RAM -- just like Q3 folks do. I know this worked wonders in the original Unreal game, I've read that it doesn't make as much difference in UT.
                My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

smooth as a cheerleader's thigh. too bad my g200 and v2 hardly cut it for ideal q3a performance
                  ==
                  "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

Comment

Working...
                  X