G400 Win2k drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Win2k drivers

Well I'm pretty impressed with the drivers for Windows 2000 so far, certainly when running normal business tasks, the card performs fine.

However, I'm still having major problems with opengl games. Quake II and III run for random amounts of time sometimes for hours, sometime for just a few minutes before crashing with a BSOD. It seems that the G400.dll or something like that is causing problems. Anyone have any ideas?

Direct 3D doesnt work properally either, 3DMark 2000 won't get any further than the helicopter game - quits back into windows. However I can run the benchmark if I tell the program to ignore the helicopter portion - unfortunately this prevents me from getting any 3dmark results.

I know it's not the card, because it perfomed fine under Win98.

System Spec:

AMD Athlon 800
    Asus K7M Motherboard
    Adaptec 2940UW Scsi controller
    SB Live!
    Zoom Dualmode 56K PCI modem
    Creative DXR3 DVD Decoder
    SB AWE32 + Yamaha db50xg daughterboard
    9.1GB Quantumn Atlas II
    9.1GB Quantumn Atlas IV
    What do you want a signature for?

It's okay - problem cured - Athlon voltage too low - reset to proper setting everything is fine now.

Comment

Hi,

Just changed from a 16mb G400 single head to a Max. My system similiar to yours, I have an Athlon 700 w/same mb. Unreal Tournament starting to lock up. Never did that before with the 16mb G400. You mentioned something about changing voltage on the Asus? I am not overclocked - do I still need to change the voltage??
      Thanks

john

Comment

can someone help me? i can't even get q2 or q3 running in win2k...i have the latest driverz...

abit bx6-2
        p3 500
        matrox g400 max
        promise dma66 controller card
        ibm 22 gig dma66 72000rpm
        toshiba dvd 6x
        matshita 4x6 scsi cdr
        adaptec scsi card
        sb live value
        3com nic

Comment

Sorry, I think I explained things badly. Basically, my system is not overclocked, but I read somewhere that the core voltage on the new Athlons i.e the 750's (I think)onwards with the small die size run on a core voltage of 1.6. The K7M reported that it had autodetected the voltage as 1.73. Worried that the bios might have got it wrong, I manually adjusted the voltage down to 1.6. At this time I was running Win98SE and had no problems. However, upgradung to 2000, which is far more fussy, I found the problems with Quake II and III. Resetting the junmpers so that the Asus once again autodetected the voltages solved (touch wood) my open gl problems.

What I didn't mention earlier is that I'm still having problems with some direct 3D - especially 3D Mark 2000, which sometime runs the demo, but normally quits on the helicopter portion. If I run the benchmark itself, it usually quits on the second helicopter sequence.

I found that by changing the CPU optimisation to Software T & L that the benchmark got further. However, it crashed on the lighs test with a BSOD and Kernal protection error (something like that). From this I conclude that there is either a bug in the G400 drivers when dealing with 3D NOW in Direct 3D - doesn't hapen in normal 3DNOW aware applications of open gl. Furthermore I believe that the G400 drivers aren't completly stable, and I'm still worried about that BSOD.

Comment

I was about to post about the voltage thing, because I found that increasing the voltage on my K6-2 fixed my 3Dmark 2k problems too.

But you beat me too it!

Comment

Working...
            X