Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.52 ICD *not* as good as 5.3+TGL ?

Hi,

I've read lots of posts from people who find the new ICD as fast or faster than the TGL, but although the last beta _was for me ( in HL; Q3 wouldn't run ), the newest drivers aren't - in fact are no better than the 5.41...

Anyone else ? I'm not complaining, the 5.3+TGL combination works very well for me - just curious...

Cheers

Ian

Win 95 OSR2.1, DX 7
    Celeron 500 66 FSB
    Epox 61LXAM
    192 MB SDRAM
    Matrox G400 SH 16 MB OEM
    SB AWE64
    Adaptec SCSI
    Win 95 OSR2.1, DX 7
    Celeron 500 66 FSB
    Epox 61LXAM
    192 MB SDRAM
    Matrox G400 SH 16 MB OEM
    SB AWE64
    Adaptec SCSI

To me, the best ICD to this date is beta 5.50.10. Fast and stable enough. 5.52 ICD started to give my rainbow colors a la G200 many many drivers ago in Half-life and Q2. Shadows and blood are also a complete disaster in Q3. So I am using 5.52 drivers with 5.50.10 ICD. Works like a charm.

Comment

Actually, I've seen the same trends as you have. With Quake 2, and the new 5.52 ICD, I get around 54 FPS (avg) on demo1.dm2. With the newester TurboGL, I get 68 FPS. This is running on a PIII500 @ 1024x768.

Actually, since we're on that topic? How does that benchmark stack up???

Larry

Comment

Larry, I think score differences with TurboGL and the new ICD "stack up" very strangely. At 1024x768, not the most TurboGL-friendly resolution, I don't think the differences should be that extreme. Something's up.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Larry,

what drivers are you using the TGL with ? If I try to use it with the 5.52 drivers, my system hangs...

Ian

PS. I don't have Q2 installed any more. In Q3 "normal" settings but at 800x600 I get 43 fps on demo 1 ( sound enabled ) with the TGL, but 34 with the 5.52.

Comment

Using PowerDesk 5.52, I benchmarked Quake3 with the 5.52 ICD, a PD5.52/5.50 beta ICD hack, and TurboGL. In 800x600, 16-bit/16-bit, dynamic lights disabled, marks on walls disabled, I got the exact same scores (70 FPS). With TurboGL, my score dropped 2 FPS (to 68 FPS).

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Paul & Larry,

Check out my specs - do you both have much more powerful systems ? I think with dynamic lights of I can get around 52 fps with the TGL...

Ian

------------------
              Win 95 OSR2.1, DX 7
              Celeron 500 66 FSB
              Epox 61LXAM
              192 MB SDRAM
              Matrox G400 SH 16 MB OEM
              SB AWE64
              Adaptec SCSI
              Win 95 OSR2.1, DX 7
              Celeron 500 66 FSB
              Epox 61LXAM
              192 MB SDRAM
              Matrox G400 SH 16 MB OEM
              SB AWE64
              Adaptec SCSI

Comment

iansheppard,

I'm using the newest drivers (5.52), as well as the newest TurboGL to do the benchmarks, and I'm using the built in Q2 benchmarking method (avg). If your computer is locking up, there might be something else going on with it. The drivers work fine for me.

Paulcs,

Yes, there was something wrong with my system. It's fixed now, but there's still some difference in the performance.

1024x768, demo2.dm2
                TurboGL - 68fps
                ICD - 65fps

I guess that's a bit more like it, eh?

Comment

Paulcs and I are talking about different things I think...He's talking about Q3A, I'm doing Q2 benchmarks.

I have a PIII500MHz with 192MB RAM

Larry

Comment

My G400 DH32 doesnt like the new drivers
                    in 3Dmark2000. It hangs every time but Quake runs fine. Anyone with the same problem?

MIKE

Comment

Working...
                    X