G400 + RRG vs. G400 TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 + RRG vs. G400 TV

I am working on a children's video to be published on the internet (learning as I go, from the ground up) supposed to have episode 1 ready by Dec. 1st - but no video caputure card yet (and a generic video card while I sort all this out.) Eventually I'll probably go digital, till then I need something to learn on. What do you think? Better to go with a G400 and RR or wait for the G400TV? I'd appreciate any other suggestions too. For now I'm using a S-VHS camera, Lumiere Video Studio and working on a 500mhz Athlon with 27 gig HD, 256 RAM etc..

Mahalo (Thanks)
    http://www.kidspot.org

Since the idea is to save a buck and get things out faster I'd go with the G400 and a RRG.

Why would this be cheaper? By the time you actually use Lumiere for an extended period you'll find out it's not the best editor in that it's slow. This is because it's absent a feature called "smart rendering" and as such it recompresses every frame when creating your project. This also reduces the quality of the final product. Smart rendering only renders those frames that have been changed by the addition of an effect, transition or filter. This cuts rendering times drastically.

If you get a Marvel G400 you'll discover it's bundled editor, Avid Cinema, is not up the task either. Pure junkware and also in dire need of replacement. Also the Marvel G400 is not in the distribution channel yet so you'd have to wait for it thus giving you a later start. Even if you go with the Marvel G200 you're still saddled with Avid Cinema. Yech...

In either case you'll be looking for another editor before you're half done. That or you'll be eating flies in a padded cell because of the rendering times.

The G400DH-RRG combo makes more sense because it comes with Media Studio Pro VE. This is a limited edition of MSPro but a very powerful one fully capable of high quality, and it has smart rendering.

MSPro (VE or full) also has "cutlist" playback, meaning it can play back long projects in one gulp. Projects much longer than a video saved to disk could be because of the AVI file size limit of 2 gigs. This is a big feature if your project is to be longer than 15-20 minutes.

Thats my .02, FWIW.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 10-08-1999).]

Comment

Hey Doc,

You're saying that the G400 and an RRG will cost less than a G400 Marvel?

What brand of G400 are we talking about here - something with more than the G400-Marvel's 16 megs?

- Aryko

Comment

The cost for a 32MB G400 and RR is not much more than the Marvel. For that little extra cost you get much better software.

Comment

You can pick up a G400 MAX for $183 from Buy.com and an RRG for $120 - $299 for the Marvel (msrp that is) I'm liking this combo more all the time. - Thanks all for the input.

Comment

That sounds good but I've had a RRG on order from them since June.

Mark F.

------------------
            OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
            --------------------------------------------------
            OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
            and burped out a movie

Comment

What I'm saying is that when you consider the cost of upgrading the editor from Avid Enema the end cost is cheaper.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

How about the capture quality? Are they both idendical capture boards, just sold in different ways?

Comment

I'm also looking into buying a RR-G / G400 combo for video work -- for about the same cost as a Marvel G400 you get 32-megs, better video editing software, and the dual head feature for a second monitor (with the Marvel G400 you only get TV-out for the second output).

However, I've got a question -- is anyone using the combo yet?

I just saw that Matrox released new 5.30 drivers for the G400 cards, but that the new drivers don't support the RR-G. If you want to use the RR-G, you need to use the 4.33 G200 drivers.

Since I don't have a G400 yet, I don't know all the implications of using older drivers, but it seems to me that this is a significant compromise. Is Matrox planning updated G400 drivers that support the RR-G?

------------------
                  Kevin Steele
                  Kevin Steele

Comment

I have a few questions regarding the RR-G and G400 Mavel.

Does the RRG have an additional video out? That is, if I purchase a G400 MAX + RRG, will I have 32Mb RAM, 2 VGA outputs and an additional Composite/SVHS output as well?
                    If so, how does this tie in with the refresh rates of the 2 VGA outputs?

Does the RRG use an additional IRQ in the system?

If I purchase a G400 Marvel, can I play the dual head games (using the tv as a 2nd monitor)?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Brett,

No, the RR has always required that the video card have the TV-out (Dual-Head for a G400).

The G400+RR together use one IRQ.

Yes, on the Marvel the TV-out behaves just like the regular Dual-Head, you just can't connect an RGB monitor.

Comment

Working...
                      X