Problems with the latest Win 9x drivers and G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with the latest Win 9x drivers and G400

What is it with everyone, it seems as though everyone has problems with Matrox releasing new drivers for the G400.

I've installed the latest driver everytime one has been released, and I have never had problems with the games I play.

Quake 2, Halflife, UnReal, Tribes, Driver, GTA 1& 2, Colin MacRae Rally.

Everytime Matrox have released a new Drier and I've installed it, things have only ever got better.

I'm also using a SS7 mobo, it's not caused any problems. All I can say is that you lot don't look after your computers properly. You wanna find out as many tweaks for Win 9x as possible and apply them all.

Tweaking certain settings in Windows makes hell of a difference. My computer uses 0% CPU time when I do a fresh boot and leave the computer.

My Setup.

ASUS P5A
    AMD k6-3 450MHz (Damn thing WONT overclock)
    128mb ram
    Vanilla G400 16mb.

Enlighten us. What tweaks do you use?

------------------
    ASUS P3BF 440BX MB,Intel PIII 500 Mhz, 128MB RAM,Fujitsu 13 GB HD, Creative 48X CDROM, Matrox G400 Max Bios 1.5.22, IRQ10, (ver 5.41), SB Live MP3+, IRQ5(ver 4.06.711) sound card with Liveware3.0, DX7.0, Linksys 16bit ISA ethernet/cable internet, Viewsonic E790 19"

Win98se ,ASUS P3BF ACPI 1006,Intel PIII 500 i440BX, 128MB RAM,Quantum Fireball 20.5GB and Fujitsu 13GB HDs, LG Electronics 52X CDROM, Matrox G400Max 6.04 BIOS 1.6.25,SB Live MP3+(ver 4.06.711),Liveware3.0,DX7.0, SMC 10/100 PCI NIC/cable internet, Viewsonic E790 19" monitor

Comment

I am not sure if the newest driver broke my TV output feature or not =(. Check my post about it in here. I even downgraded to the old drivers, and same problem. UGH! Everything else seems to be working though.
      Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

Comment

You wan't to go to www.regedit.com and find out registry tweaks.

Ermm, there's the VMM swap file tweak, make the minimum size=maximum size.

Change VCache settings in system.ini

Use G400 Tweak which is a little program which alows you to change hidden registry settings.

Disable ALL DOS drivers and other garbage in autoexec.bat and config.sys

Disable Drivespace and Doublespace in msdos.sys

Use latest drivers for everything, latest BIOS for MOBO and GFX card. Latest versions of games, patches etc..

Don't overclock if you have a AMD K6-*, they run far TOO hot.

Keep the number of programs that start with Windows in the system tray to a minimum.

Basically, alot of it is common sense. You can fing a whole lot more on the net.

Use Norton Utilities 4 or higher? for Defragmenting HD.

If you don't use a Floppy drive, disconnect it, I did.

Ok I'm running out of things to do, just look on the net for stuff, it's all there to be taken in!

Good Luck everyone..

Will C (Walrus Bonzo)

Comment

As for my TV Out problem:

Nevermind! How stupid I am! I plugged the wrong cable into the audio instead of video. I even checked that last night at midnight. Ugh! I feel like a dumb sh*t now.
          Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx)

Comment

Oh wait a sec, there is "2" problems I have with my computer.

But it's nothing to do with my GFX card, so I'll put it in general hardware.

Will

Comment

I swear by <a href=http://www.tweak3d.net>Tweak3D</a> That is where I go for all my tweaking needs.

------------------
              -Jonathan Beilin
              http://members.tripod.com/Black.Lotus
              Abit BX6R2@133 Mhz FSB, P2-400@533, 128MB PC133 SDRAM, G400 MAX, Hansol 19", MX300, Altec Lansing ACS56, Zen 52X CDROM, and 1746 MP3s. 2046 3DMarks (3DMark2K).
              -Jonathan Beilin
              Abit BX6R2, P2-400, 256MB SDRAM, G400 MAX, Hansol 19"

Comment

Working...
              X