UT Friday Night!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT Friday Night!!!!!!!!!!

For all the blue team members I am glad that I was able to be your target in the
    Phobos map, it just made it sweeter when I got you back LOL
    Again I had the BEST time playing!!
    On ping so the lower the number the better the connection and less lag time?
    Lag time, is there something I can do to help out w/o a better connection?
    Thanks!!!!
    Time to make the wafers!
    Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Hey Mark are you still using the USR Modem card you got from me?? If so there are a couple easy tweeks to try.

Go to your Advanced Connection settings and try these "extra settings"

S32=66 - to disable V.90
    or
    S32.5=1 - to disable X2

Also uncheck the "compress data" box.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

The UT server has been absolutly rockin the last week. It's nice to see so many of the same people come back to play every night. (glad your having a blast Oboy!) And for all gamers who like to play UT and are not playing on the MGI server, get in there!

Again, we all should thank Matrox (Haig in particular) for setting up the UT server which has provided us an excellent place to gather and spend entire evenings shouting "Yahoo" and "Unbelievable". Thanks Matrox!

xippo

Comment

Hi all just like to say a big thanks for the great games on friday night

I live in the U.K. So I really have a hard time staying up later than 2:00am what with work in the morning But hey never mind eh theres always the weekend,so if you are available I should cya tonight should be fun Laterz Max-Payne

Comment

im still trying to figure what time im supposed to be in to be able to play w/ you guys. i logged in yesterday (japanese) time and no one was there , and the ping was horrible its on the 1000`s

Comment

blades, its looks like we get started aprox. 11am Tokyo time. This is estimating a 16hr
            time difference from where I live.
            Time to make the wafers!
            Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

Comment

We had some interesting discussion about playing with modem here before. Most of the issues described in the thread apply many online games.
              http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002618.html

.Tumu
              Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
              64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
              Win98 finnish

Comment

Tumu
                I read the thread and most of it is WAY over my head!?!?!?
                But the general jest I get is that a 33.6 modem would work better than a 56K for gaming
                or did I suffer from a brain fart from all
                the tech stuff? (man my head hurts)
                If this is true then would a external work better than a internal or is there not that much difference?
                Time to make the wafers!
                Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

Comment

There's no need to swap out your 56K modem for a 33.6 modem. As already mentioned, you just need to disable the V.90 protocol (and/or earlier variants, x2 or flex) to get the same functionality. I use S32=98 in my modem init string for my USR 56K Voice FaxModem Pro to do this (check your modem manual). Their are two issues with using these newer protocols when running on-line games:

1) On-line games need to send information up to the gaming server as well as receive information. 56K modems use protocols that are designed for web browsing: lots of data comming down but little data (URL request) going up. Obversely, I've found that Q3A actually sends more data to the server than it receives. When I run v.90 (default on modern 56K modems), I get a receive speed of 50666, but a transmit speed of only 24000. If I disable v.90 and run with v.34+, I get a receive speed of 31200 as well as a transmit speed of 31200. The more important transmit speed has increased by 7200.

2) I believe that running the modem at v.90 imparts much more noise on the line than running at v.34+ (as evidenced by my blerS rates). This increased noise degrades the overall performance of the com link.

If you check some of the sites noted in the 56K modem sucks thread, you will find some good step-by-step instructions on how to optimize your gaming.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 21 February 2000).]
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Hi xortam,

I have the same modem and ISP(AT&T). The only reason I'm still with them is the 30MB of webspace. I work with Oboy and we are still waiting for both cable and an affordable DSL provider down here in New Mexico.

I just bought a house and a strange thing happened. My connection rate used to be 44000 to 45333 before we moved. Now I connect between 26400 and 28800. At first I was pissed but then I dicovered that my pings are lower on the UT server. They used to be 250-6000 and now they are 250-550.

Paul
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Paul and Oboy - you are playing using modems!?! How the hell do you still manage to kill me everytime I respawn when I'm no a friggin T1!?! Waaaaaaaaa

Dimitri

------------------
                      MSI K7-PRO (110 version)
                      G400 MAX
                      196 Megs PC100 RAM
                      20 gig Maxtor
                      6 gig WD
                      DVD-ROM (2nd gen)
                      RealMagic Hollywood + DVD decoder
                      32X cd-rom
                      Crappy sound card (with a GREAT stereo )
                      All I need is a FREAKIN processor!!!!! (and another excuse to suck at UT)
                      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Hey Dimitri, I may be old and slow but I'm very sneaky...LOL

Paul

Comment

Say Paul (ALBPM), I'm with AT&T GlobalNet which took over from IBM (IGN). Are you on GlobalNet or WorldNet? I think my service is more business oriented versus WorldNet but I haven't looked into the differences. I notice my pings are okay during normal PST working hours but go up significantly (and erratically) after hours, weekends and even during week-day lunch. What's your experience with time-of-day pinging? Anybody know of a good SF bay-area gaming ISP?

Regarding your move Paul, check the modem diagnostics to see if you're getting speed shifts: the initial connection speed doesn't always stick. You may also try other local POPs and see if your pings vary. Are you disabling v.90? Did they provide you with a dialer? I had been using the IBM dialer until I realized it was overriding my TTL and RWIN parameters; now I go directly to DUN.

P.S. One other thing ... are you sure the POP your dialing supports v.90?

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 23 February 2000).]
                          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Hi xortam, it seems to be the phone line here causing the problem. I got a free offer for caller ID so I'm going for it. I know they have to switch me over to a newer switch to use that function. Whether it works or not I can cancle the caller ID next month.
                            As for AT&T I have the Worldnet service. It seems consistant all day/night as far as connection rates and pings. The strange thing is that the init string that works best for me is one that disables X2 (S32.5=1). I tried S32=98 and my ping in UT went up to 9999. I've also tried S32=66 and S32=34 with no success. Games are playable I just need to get my phone line running through some newer switches to fix the connection rate.

Paul

Comment

Hmmmm, maybe that sneakiness is like wisdom. They both come with age??? I just can't seem to figure it out. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get either one of them....
                              "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                              --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Working...
                              X