Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibm deskstar 22GXP are good drives?

Hi to all,
    I'm gonna by me a new drive, so I'm asking to all the technowizards on the list how about the IBM E 13.5Gb DJNA 7200/66. Is it good? How about video capture? Can I use an ultraDMA/66 on a 33 board( planning for an upgrade to 66mob beginning of next year)?
    Is it true that with a 7200rpm a dedicated fan-cooler is needed?
    My other choice would be a Quantum CX 10.2gb or Quantum KA 7200 9.1gb. How about these ones?
    Thanks!!
    Ninetto

The best ATA33/66 drives have been the IBM's and Maxtor's, especially the 7,200 rpm models. Both run relatively cool so as long as you don't bundle them with zero spacing you should be fine.

I've had four Maxtor Plus ATA33 7,200rpm 10 gigs running in a RAID-0 array (Fasttrak/33) for a LONNNGGG time with no problems at all. I removed my extra cooling when a digital thermometer showed it wasn't necessary. Of course a case with good airflow helps this immeasurably.

On one of our other machines we have a Fasttrak/66 with two 18g 7,200rpm IBM ATA66's. This combo is FAST. An excellent combination.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Quantum KA 18.2GB 7200rpm is a killer when it comes to speed. It does like to be actively cooled, being the fastest ATA/66 in its ballpark.

P.S. fastest when it comes to random accesses - Maxtor beats it at sustained throughput, so if you move around GBs all the time, Maxtor would be a better option.

------------------
      P2c-300a/450, 192MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Creative Labs AWE64 Gold Sound Blaster, A-Trend Voodoo II 12MB, Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752, Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel and some other fancy stuff

P2c-300a/450, 256MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752, Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel and some other fancy stuff

Comment

Yes IBM 22GXP drives are excellent. I have two 22GB models and they perform very well indeed.

------------------
        aka Chris H

Comment

I have the IBM 9.1 GB 7200 RPM, 2MB buffer model and it is very nice. Not sure about the cooling thing though because I have a card cooler in my case that cools the whole thing. But my friends working at Intel have been able to work with the new 10,000 RPM hard drives and they have not reported any heat problems, so 7200 should be alright.

Be careful if you have a Marvel or RR-G. I am using a regular UDMA 66 Controller and when I record onto the UDMA 66 HD the audio was distorted. The only way I could fix it was to get a program from my HD manufacturer that allowed me to change the mode to UDMA 33. Since 66 is just a burst speed which does not affect video capturing.

Also some others have had problems with the regular G400/G200 with hard drives running at UDMA 66. The way the person fixed it was by doing the same thing I did
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
          X