Quake 3 and Millenium 2 card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 3 and Millenium 2 card

Will it work? I am getting a message that Q3A could not find the OpenGL subsystem. If it will, anyone know what drivers I need?

If you check the Quake 3 box you will notice the Millennium II is not listed. This is because not only is it an older card, but it's 3D gaming performance leaves much to be desired. I own a Millennium II and would not be surprised if even the 16 mb version would only get 1 or 2 fps in Quake 3 (assuming the drivers even supported it). Alas, we'll never know (except maybe in Linux). The answer to your question is a resounding no.

Jon
    My baby...

QDI Brilliant IV - Bios 2.0 Beta (Win2000 updates - email me if you want it!)
    2 Pentium III 500 MHz
    256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
    Matrox Millenium G200 8 MB SGRAM - Bios 2.6-20
    2 Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI...)
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!
    Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
    Quantum Viking 4.5 GB UW SCSI (weak...)
    Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 2X
    Iomega 1GB Jazz

All running on Win2000...

Comment

I occasionally use a millennium 2 at work to play the occasional game at lunchtimes. It does not have any open gl capability and really struggles with the latest 3d games.
      Quake 2 would only run in software mode and windowed. Quake 3 no chance, personally I wouldn't even attempt Q3 on a G200..too slow.
      Unless you are running some of the older d3d games ie. tombraider 2 and suchlike I would forget the millennium 2 as a serious gaming card. Even the latest tombraider game has visual defects on this card eg, light shafts and flames appear as black squares and lines.
      If you can afford it and assuming your pc has agp capability then go for the G400 as it has come down in price. I agree with jon.... a definate no.
      cheers
      Dave

Comment

If you run in 640x480, 16-bit the G200 becomes playable. If I turn lightmap off and use vertex (aka crappy) lighting instead I can pull about 35 fps average. Then again, I like my Voodoo2 cards much better...

If all you want is to play Quake 3 decently you can pick up a new Voodoo2 for less than $70 (most likely you get a used one for under $50). But if I were you I'd invest in a newer and better card like the G400.

Jon

------------------
        My baby...

2 Pentium III 500 MHz
        256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
        Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
        Plextor UltraPlex 32X

All more or less running on Windows 2000...

My baby...

2 Pentium III 500 MHz
        256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
        Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
        Iomega 1GB Jazz

Comment

Noackrj, I am an old V2 user and I am curious about Q3. If you play Q3 with V2 can you move texture slider all way up? If so, plase give me some benchmarks for 800 and 1024 with max textures. Thanks.

Comment

I've you're interested in having good framerates with a Voodoo 2 (30-35 frames roughly), you must get the WickedGL drivers for your Voodoo. These drivers kick butt. They're way better than the standard 3Dfx drivers. I tried them out a while back, and I was impressed. The Voodoo didn't perform too bad at all. Just a pity about the image quality though. Still have to see something come close to the G400 for decent quality

Here's the link if you're interested...
            http://www.wicked3d.com/technology/wickedGL.htm

Comment

I get 40 fps maximum (average 27-28) with my G200 SD 8Mb AGP, latest drivers and BIOS, 800x600 16-bit, vertex lighting, 2nd best textures. Not bad, I reckon.

Celeron 433 on Atlanta LX 440 (66 MHZ FSB)
              96 Mb Ram
              Soundblaster PCI 128
              DirectX 7a
              WIN 98 SE

Comment

Sorry about not being around for a while - my girlfriend convinced me she was more interesting than my computer...

With the G200 you can pull 640x480 or 800x600 at 16 bit with vertex lighting and still get playable framerates. Lightmap will get you a slideshow. 32 bit might get you a slideshow, I don't remember well enough. I needed the fps to play well so I never used 32 bit.

I am running the Voodoo2s in Win2k under several hacked drivers (to get it to run) so I have no clue how performance will measure up. I can run at 1024x768 so I know SLI is working at least. I'll benchmark some and post back.

Jon

[This message has been edited by noackjr (edited 17 February 2000).]
                My baby...

2 Pentium III 500 MHz
                256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
                Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
                Iomega 1GB Jazz

Comment

I tried here at work with an ASUS V3000 (Nvidia Riva 128 4Mb) and I´m amazed at the scores (41 fps maximum, average 20/22), albeit with more variation in framerates.
                  i´m using reference Nvidia drivers:

Pentium II 350
                  128 Mb RAM
                  NO SOUND (card)
                  Gigabyte BX board (100mhz FSB)
                  Same settings as my previous post (G200)
                  Win 98 SE and DIRECTX 6.1

This card is very good, even with only 4Mb, for its age.

------------------
                  Remember folks:
                  "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers"
                  Pablo Picasso

[This message has been edited by Alec (edited 17 February 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                  X