Random Lock-ups in 3D apps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Lock-ups in 3D apps.

Recently I started experiencing random lock-ups in final Fantasy 7. Damn annoying after two hours of play without a save.

The computer would just lock, and would need to be reset before it would do anything.

Last weekend I resinatlled win98SE, in an attempt to cure it. unfortunately it seems to have made it worse. This lock up has now spread to all 3D apps, D3D and OGL. Last night I had a lock-up in:
    UT
    Q3
    Final Reality (running on loop to try and replicate the problem)(didn't get through five loops before dying).

I was previously using the 5.30 drivers but last night I upgraded to the new beta 5.51 drivers, as I heard they had fixed the thief engine errors.

Anyone got any idea what the most likely culprit is? I'm thinking it might be overheating but nothing has changed in my setup recently (see list below) and it was always fine before.

Abit BM6
    Celery 366@550 (Intel heatsink+fan and open case to keep it stable)
    128Mb 133Mhz ram
    G400 32MbDH Max (not overclocked)
    MX300, using default Vortex drivers
    Iiyama VisionMaster 410
    ISA NIC (cost about 5 quid)
    Tekram 395u SCSI controller
    Pionner 6X IDE DVD drive
    Yamaha SCSI 6x4x16 CD Re-writer

Ta for any help guys.

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Did you check for IRQ conflicts? Also, and I know this may sound stupid, you may want to get a regular fan to blow cooler air into your case. CPU fan could have died, etc...also, when you did the re-install, did you completely wipe out your c:\windows and c:\program files directories? Microsoft LOVES to put things in there that get read by IE, and if you've upgraded before, IE no longer knows how to work properly. And of course, IE is "a part of the operating system" I ran into similar problems until I remembered I needed to deltree my c:\program files directory.

Comment

The reason the NIC is so damn cheap is because it was having terrible conflicts with the SCSI controller. Removing it cured the conflict and everything is fine and non-conflicty.

I reinstalled using the most satisfying method - format c:\

I haven't checked the fans yet, but the damn things are <>3 months old and really shouldn't have failed _yet_.

I'll put up a full IRQ list later today, when I get home and can get it. I'll also check the fans and see if i can find something to blow a little more cold air in there......

uberlad

Comment

Win98 FE and SE come with DX6. Did you previously (before the reinstall) have DX7 installed? Did you reinstall it?

Also, when you say "the default Vortex drivers", you don't mean Diamond's, do you? I have an MX300 as well, and find Aureal's drivers work much better for me.

Assuming a part hasn't failed, I'd suspect that some setting has reverted to default, or something you installed (either Windows or some other software) overwrote a system file with an older version.

Btw, have you added any new software that runs in the system tray? Possibly such as Task Scheduler (enabled by default in Windows install), or Fast Find or Office Startup (enabled by default in Office install)?

Fast Find particularly is a killer, with the Task Scheduler close behind....

Because it sounds like after a certain amount of time you run out of system resources, which would give the symptoms you describe.

------------------
        Holly

Comment

now that _is a tempting idea. I'll have a look, see what system tray apps are running.

I did a clean install of SE, and then installed DX7a from a coverdisc.

I am using the reference Aureal drivers (2041)

As I said, I'll post a more complete system break-down in about an hour, once I can get home.

Uberlad

Comment

Looks like it was a tray app. I've removed the scheduled tasks and the sidewinder control apps from boot and I have enjoyed almost three tiers of Q3 without as much as a glitch.

thanks for the sugegstions guys.

Uberlad

Comment

Working...
            X