new drivers in win2k smp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new drivers in win2k smp

I just got and installed the latest and greatest win2k beta from matrox, and the q3a performance was great in single cpu mode.(twice as fast as the old ones! yay)

It crashed after running timedemos [hard reset required] and probably would have after a regular game too. It only happened once the demo was done and i was in the menu or console screens.

SMP mode was still slower than single cpu mode (~37 vs ~42) and as an added bonus, looks like this:

(warning, 90k file)

if you are listening matrox, i would really like this fixed. =)

any ideas?

other than those issues, the new drivers are great! They even work with q3radiant now (only tested in win98), which is a dream come true.. no more MS opengl for me..

-]nufan[-
    win98/win2k/linux
    Dual celeron 366@550
    abit bp6
    128mb ram
    9gb udma/66
    18gb udma/66(running on the udma/33 controller)
    g400 32mb DH
    yamaha 4416e 4x4x16 cdrw
    creative 2x dvd drive
    mx300sound + mx25 digital out (a3d digital sound, baby)
    generic ne2000 isa netcard

While I'm sure it's not what you wanted or were expecting, you have to admit it's kind of attractive.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I'm getting identical results nufan.

However, about one in twenty times it will work (though you need to memorise the menus), but it is slower than in single processor mode.

Are you using the ACPI MP kernel?

Paul

Comment

does it crash for you in single cpu mode too? and if so, does it NOT crash in smp mode?

i have no idea which kernel i'm using.. just the default one you get when you install win2k

i cant get linux q3 to go right now, and i accidently nuked my /usr/lib/ dir so i need to reinstall linux.. oh well

linux benchmarks hopefully coming soon

-]nufan[-
        win98/win2k/linux
        Dual celeron 366@550
        abit bp6
        128mb ram
        9gb udma/66
        18gb udma/66(running on the udma/33 controller)
        g400 32mb DH
        yamaha 4416e 4x4x16 cdrw
        creative 2x dvd drive
        mx300sound + mx25 digital out (a3d digital sound, baby)
        generic ne2000 isa netcard

Comment

nufan, do you have an option to "suspend" on your start menu? If so, you are using the ACPI kernel. The 2 kernels handle IRQ sharing differently, I am just curious as to whether it makes any difference, I can't be bothered doing a reload to find out.

It does crash in single processor mode, but nowhere near as often.

I have also had a couple of crashed in FS2000, so it seems there are a few D3D problems also.

Paul

Comment

Mine doesn't crash or look like yours. It does however go slower than in UniCPU mode. Maybe if I could get your lovely colours it would lessen the motion-sickness I get with the game.
            Hardware Spec:

Dual P3-500 on QDI BX Mobo with onboard UW SCSI and 100Mb LAN
            512Mb DRAM
            5 x 4.5Gb UW SCSI HDD's
            Matrox Millennium G400 Max
            SBLive!
            AOpen 10X DVD
            AOpen 48X CDRom
            Yamaha CDRW 4616Scsi
            Plextor 16X SCSI CD
            HP 4/8Gb DAT
            LS120 and ZIP
            Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2020u 22" Monitor
            NEC Multisync XV15+ Monitor
            Microsoft DSS80
            Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer
            Microsoft Natural Kayboard Pro

Comment

Paul - Not sure what kind of reload you are talking about, but you don't have to reinstall to change kernels. Just go to the Device Manager and check out the Properties of whatever is listed under Computer. From there you can go to the Driver tab and choose Update Driver like any other device! I'll let you figure out the rest. I always wanted this option in NT and now I have it...

Jon

P.S. DO NOT TRY THIS TO GO TO AN ACPI KERNEL FROM AN MPS OR STANDARD ONE UNLESS YOU ARE SURE YOUR MOTHERBOARD SUPPORTS ACPI. OTHERWISE YOU MACHINE WILL NOT BOOT AND YOU WILL HAVE TO MANUALLY REPLACE THE KERNEL FILES, REPAIR YOUR 2000 INSTALLATION THROUGH WIN2000 SETUP, OR REINSTALL. (Sorry about the Caps Lock but I wanted to make sure people understood)

[This message has been edited by noackjr (edited 15 February 2000).]
              My baby...

QDI Brilliant IV - Bios 2.0 Beta (Win2000 updates - email me if you want it!)
              2 Pentium III 500 MHz
              256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
              Matrox Millenium G200 8 MB SGRAM - Bios 2.6-20
              2 Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI...)
              Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!
              Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
              Quantum Viking 4.5 GB UW SCSI (weak...)
              Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 2X
              Iomega 1GB Jazz

All running on Win2000...

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up - I'll give it a try later...

Jon
                My baby...

QDI Brilliant IV - Bios 2.0 Beta (Win2000 updates - email me if you want it!)
                2 Pentium III 500 MHz
                256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
                Matrox Millenium G200 8 MB SGRAM - Bios 2.6-20
                2 Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI...)
                Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!
                Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
                Quantum Viking 4.5 GB UW SCSI (weak...)
                Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 2X
                Iomega 1GB Jazz

All running on Win2000...

Comment

noackjr, sorry you can't change from a non ACPI kernel to an ACPI kernel using this method. The problem is that the ACPI kernels build the hardware tree differently. Flipping kernels this way will leave you with a non bootable system, regardless of whether or not your BIOS supports ACPI.

You can use this method to flip between UNI and MPS kernels though, provided you are not changing ACPI support.

To change ACPI, you have to run setup and choose upgrade when prompted. Then press the F5 key when prompted for additional SCSI controllers (not F6). You will then be asked to choose the kernel.

Checkout http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q246/2/36.ASP

Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X