New Drivers dont work in Quake 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Drivers dont work in Quake 3

Hi i've downloaded the new drivers and they generally work sweet in Quake and Half-Life (bit faster than last TurboGL in fact).
    However I cannot get them to work in Q3A, the game just locks up after the intro screen, if i try and skip the intro screen it just draws the first frame before the main menu, just a black screen with the q3a logo and locks up again.

Stuff in the sytem that are relevant are:

Celery 300A @ 450
    AOpen AX63 M/B
    128MB SDRAM
    Matrox G400 DH (non-max)
    SB Live
    BT848 based tv tuner
    Iwill Scsi controller

have a look into your Q3 folder (and baseq3), if there's any OPENGL32.DLL and delete it if it's present.
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Thanks but i've already cleaned out all the copies of the TurboGL. It crashes with other things that do work if I dont get rid of it. Tried forcing 1xAGP too, that didn't help.

Comment

I just installed the new drivers (win98) Q3 and all other games run very well, but if I remove the opengl.dll and g400icd.dll the game swont run anymore... (request opengl by games)

Do I have to delete those (2x dll)? Or are they replaced by the new 5.50.1 drivers?
        TurboGl is not needed anymore? please explain, I'm all confused about this..

I never installed the 5.50 beta drivers.. I upgrated from the 4.51 drivers

------------------
        ------------------
        PIII-500, 128 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
        In case it's a harware problem:
        PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
        Win2K drivers: 5.52

Comment

Faran,

Do not delete OpenGl related dll files from your Windows\System folder. These are the Windows and Matrox OpenGL ICD files!

The ones you can delete are TurboGL related; they are in the specific game folders. Since you upgraded from 4.51 I don't think you have the TurboGL installed anyway, so no deleting should be necessary. That said, it's always a good idea to unistall your old drivers using the Matrox uninstallation utility.

Hope this helps,
          Rahul

------------------
          Abit BP6, Dual Celeron 366@550, G400 32MB DualHead, 128MB RAM, WD26500 6.4GB, SBLive! Value.
          Running Mandrake 6.1 and Windows 2000.

Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
          Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Comment

I also have this problem with the new betas, even after a driver uninstall - Half-Life OGL is fine, as is SS2, but Q3A ( retail ) hangs after the intro.

AGP x1, tried different AGP apertures & desktop colur-depths / resolutions. Same prob using TGL. Fine with earlier versions.

Hope this is ironed out in the finals...

Win 95 OSR2.1, DX 7
            Celeron 500 66 FSB
            Epox 61LXAM
            192 MB SDRAM
            Matrox G400 SH 16 MB OEM
            SB AWE64
            Adaptec SCSI

Comment

Found quite a good solution - just use the 5.30 icd with TurboGL - that way I get the improved (?) DirectX performance of the new beta in SS2 etc, but decent TGL for Half-Life & Q3.

Interesting though - trying to use TGL with the beta drivers also causes a hang, even though the icd works fine.

Is it just me & Shogun having these problems ? Anyone else ?

Comment

Correction - the 5.30 icd works with the new betas, but only in 32-bit, and _not with the TGL. All of which may or may not be usefull to someone out there.

What's the Matrox e-mail for sending comments like these ?

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Working...
                X