Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT2000 Data Rate Question

A question regarding the new RT2000...
    I read on the Matrox website that the datarate for the MPEG-2 editing can range from 10 to 25 megabits (MBPS) per second. Is that correct? Maybe I don't know my math but, does that mean 1.25 MegaBytes (10/8) to 3.125 (25/8) Megabytes per second? Just trying to figure out how much video I will fit on my 60 GB raid. Of course this hinges on me thinking mbps is megabits and not bytes. Personally, 3.125 Megabytes/sec seems a little low for top quality, although most people could get such a rate on their HDs easily. Anyone out there who can check my math and/or knowledge?

Kris Gurrad
    Kris Gurrad

Kris

Yes that is exactly what it means sort of. Really its 3.125 megabytes/sec only in single stream. If you are using dual stream the data rate jumpsto 9.3 mb/sec unless you capture each stream on a different drive in which case you capture at 3.125 mb/sec to each drive. The quality is still supposed to be very good.

Comment

yeah, remember that you get more quality with less MB/s than you do with MJPEG as a codec.

Comment

So it is sort of like a Rainbow Runner MJPEG with no rendering... I'm real interested to see how the quality is now.

Kris

Kris Gurrad

Comment

Did a little looking a C-Cubes website. The RT2000 uses the C-Cube DVxpress-MX25 codec capable of 25 mbits/sec which it calls prosumer. C-cube also makes a C-Cube DVxpress-MX50 up to 50 mbits/sec (6.25 MBytes/sec single 12.5 Mbytes/sec dual) called professional. I wonder if Matrox can make a RT2000max , running at the higher data rate. Perhaps it is too much data for the G400 to do transitions/effects on... Just a thought.

Kria
          Kris Gurrad

Comment

I guess the answer to my own question is: They do, it's called DigiSuite...

Kris Gurrad
            Kris Gurrad

Comment

25 mbps i-Frame MPEG2 = 25 mbps DV in terms of quality.
              Compression algorithms are very close to each other.
              DV compression has very good quality, much better than MJPEG at the same data rate. The explanation WHY? is given at: http://www.adamwilt.com/DVvsMJPEG.html

All words about DV are applied to I-frame MPEG2.

Grigory

Comment

Working...
              X