UT is jerky with G400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT is jerky with G400?

Playing UT seems jerky...anyone have ideas how to make it smoother?

UT settings:
    Direct3d
    800x600
    32bit color
    everything set to "high"
    A3D sound enabled

My system settings/specs:
    Athlon 500@800
    ASUS K7M bios: 126
    256mb ram
    Matrox G400 vanilla, but at "max" speeds
    MX300 sound card

I'm using the 5.50 Powerdesk drivers and i've tried TGL already, but gameplay is still jerky. Anyone have suggestions?
    hi

Like, when i'm running around, the screen seems to lag up for a split-second. It happens quite often, so it's really annoying
    hi

Comment

Paradox, is this while playing online? Have you tried disabling sound and which drivers are you using for the MX300?
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

You tried TurboGL already???!!!! @*$ &@#^#$ #&$^%*^ &*$*%!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!
        D-O N-O-T U-S-E O-P-E-N-G-L I-N U-N-R-E-A-L T-O-U-R-N-A-M-E-N-T! Can all foreign speaking members of this board please translate the previous message into their respective languages so that mabye finally people will not use OPENGL in Unreal Tournament? Pleeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassseeee???

It is a proven undisputed fact stated by the makers of the gamer, hundreds of web sites on the net, thousands of experts around the web, and finally by me that the game UNREAL TOURNAMENT has been almost exclusively written for the GLIDE API...that is G-L-I-D-E not O-P-E-N-G-L. This means that if you have a Voodoo 2 or above you use GLIDE. If you have an S3 card use the S3 Metal Driver. If you have any other card use DIRECT3D.

Nuff said.

Sorry if I had to rant there but geesh how long has Unreal been out now?
        C:\DOS
        C:\DOS\RUN
        \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

When it lags, is the computer accessing the hard disk, or is it a video problem? You have lots of memory so you should increase the cache size in UT.

Does disabling the sound help.

Does running in different resolutions make it better worse?

Just throwing ideas.
          xippo

Comment

I believe Paradox stated that he IS using D3D. He just may not realize that TurboGL only works for OGL....

Paradox: I guess the main thing we need to understand is whether this is a connection issue (online)or FPS issue (offline).

[This message has been edited by Beezer (edited 04 February 2000).]
            My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

DosFreak: Since he is playing in Direct3d the the TGL wouldn't do anything.

Paradox: Why did you mention the TGL? Did you try it in OpenGL? Just what DosFreak says, don't.

xippo

Comment

Hey, thanks for your replies

This is playing single player, not online.
                Ok, I'm gonna try disabling the sound and see what happens.
                What's wrong with TGL? I still see the jerkiness.
                Running it at higher resolutions makes it slower, running it at lower resolutions makes it faster.

hi

Comment

Hmmm...this is weird.
                  What partion is UT on and is it on a FAT16,32,NTFS partition?
                  Try defragging your drive.
                  Have you installed the latest update for UT?
                  I don't know if these drivers apply for the Athlon's but www.viatech.com just released the 4.19 via drivers a day or 2 ago.

------------------
                  \RUN\DOS\RUN
                  \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

I'm running Windooze 98 $E, with Direct X 7a.
                    So, It's a FAT32 drive. Hmm.. defragging the drive...i'll try that. UT is at version 405. Thanks for the link. I'm downloading the new AGP driver (ver. 3.9).

I'll be back later and see how it goes. (fingers crossed)
                    hi

Comment

Try increasing the cache size, default is 4Mb, try 64Mb.

------------------
                      Newbie, Newbie, frag frag frag.
                      Newbie, Newbie, on a line with lag.

Comment

my system:
                        k7 550
                        g400 max - driver version 5.30
                        128mb pc100 ram
                        creative soundblaster platinum

my ut setting:
                        1024x768 resolution
                        32bit colour
                        world texture - high
                        skin texture - medium
                        eax sound - enable

the framerate would never drop below 30 frames per second. (i check the timedemo in the menu)

Comment

I've got a K7M + Athlon. Everything ran fine with the 1209 K7M BIOS. Like a dumb lemming, I upgraded to the 1229 bios as soon as it came out. After I did, I noticed a little jerkiness in UT. I then downflashed back to the 1209 bios and that fixed it for me.

Also, there was a beta UT patch for d3ddrv.dll (or something like that). I downloaded that puppy, and it made things seem a bit more jerky for me. I went back to the original d3ddrv.dll that came with UT and that fixed it.

Do not use Diamond's MX300 drivers on a Athlon. Go to Aureal's web page and download the reference drivers for the vortex2.

Comment

Hey, Thunderchez, could you email me the 1209 bios? I'm using the beta 126 now (stupid me) and I deleted the 1209.
                            For my MX300, i'm already using the 2040 reference drivers
                            hi

Comment

Paradox, no problem. I'll email it to you when I get off work in about 2 hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X