G400 and AMD Athlon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 and AMD Athlon

I have an AMD Athlon 500 paired with an Asus K7M... I have installed all the necessary patches and drivers... (and painfully so)... however, I can't get a single OpenGL games/application to run properly, my system will hang nevertheless.

Here's my set-up:
    Athlon 500
    Asus K7M
    256MB PC100 SDRAM (2x128MB modules)
    Matrox G400 Dual-head 32MB
    Monster Sound MX 300
    Netgear FX310 10/100 NIC
    USRobotic 56k PnP modem

So far as I can tell, there are no IRQ conflicts of any sort.... does anyone have any clue the reason that OpenGL-based apps won't work? (Of course, this excludes me from any Quake-engine games).. so far Direct3D has been fine.

I have tried driver version 5.50 and 5.41.. 5.50 causes some weird crash problem for me when I play videos (when switching video from foreground to background, it crashes immediately).... and neither driver, with TurboGL or not, will not work.

I had the same problem.
    If you have the Win98 and not the Win98 SE try getting opengl.dll and glu32.dll from the Win98 SE.
    Then replace the files in your windows\system directory. That should help.
    After doing so I could play quake2 in 1600*1200 with OpenGL.

Comment

Sorry, I think opengl32.dll is the correct filename.

Comment

Is there anyway you can email those files to me?... I can't seem to find anyone who has Windows 98 SE installed.. =(

Comment

Try downloading the latest BIOS from the ASUS web site for your board. I was having similar problems with my Athlon/K7M setup, and after the BIOS update everything seemed to be fixed! My only problem now is the games look to dang dark! They run fast though . . .

Comment

I can e-mail you those files on monday, because I've problems with my internet account at home.
            Try the other tip first, if it helps, please post it.

Comment

I finally got the BIOS from slota.com.. I couldn't find it on Asus's ftp site anymore. I got version 1.24.. updated the BIOS... I'm still having the same problems as I used to.

Version 1.26 completely screws up my computer though, as it completely fails to detect my secondary hard drive.

Comment

The bios on the website is an old flaky version 1007. Try 1.24. You can find it at:

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Slot_A/AMD_Chipset/AMD_751/K7M/

I got the link from slota.com There is also a 1.25 and 1.26, but those are beta.

Comment

Working...
                X