X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My computer too slow for Quake-3 ?

Hi there!

I got question.

In quake-3 in resolution 1280*960 in high quality, in timedemo 1 I am getting only 13fps. Is it too slow for my computer?
    I got installed latest TurboGL drivers.

MY system:

Pentium-2 350mhz, 64mb ram working on 100mhz
    Matrox G400MAX, Sound Blaster 64AWE
    13gb Westrn Digital hard drive (IDE).....

------------------
    SVS RUSSIAN

SVS RUSSIAN

k, maybe the screen depth you want is *slightly* insane, but your computer should run it fine if you follow the following instructions carefully:

go to the settings menu option and select default, then select yes (this will reset everything, even controls, to default so you'll have to do your controls again) now go to the display settings and do the following things:

video mode 800x600 (i don't recommend going higher as performance hit isn't worth it)
    lighting vertex
    geometric detail high
    texture detail (not the highest, but the one below it)
    texture quality default
    texture filter bilinear

after accepting these options, goto the game options:

from top to bottom

simple items off
    marks on
    ejecting brass off
    dyn lights off
    id target on
    high qual sky on
    sync frames off
    force models on (keep this option on, you only have 64mb ram)

then in the console:

r_colorbits 24 (this makes the color depth 24 bit, but it won't show in the menu)
    cg_draw3dicons 0
    cg_gibs 0 (screen gets messy when you kill many ppl, turn it on if yer crap and CAN'T kill ppl!)

now with those settings, try the timedemo again and plz post the fps, i'm curious to see what happens...

Phage

Comment

Those settings would make a faster computer choke. It's not that your computer is too slow for Quake3, it's that your choice of settings is a bit excessive. Your processor is relatively slow, and your Max likes fast processors. So, if you intend to keep your current configuration for a while, I suggest you make a few adjustments.

Gamers usually are faced with a tradeoff: high quality visual settings vs. framerates. With your computer, for online play, you might want to consider 800x600, 16-bit textures, 16-bit color depth, Dynamic Lights and Marks on Walls disabled. And lower the sliders to their "Normal Settings" defaults.

If you're just playing against the bots, you could always bump it up to 32-bit/32-bit. Keep the sliders and resolution at reasonable levels.

Experiment. With your hardware, you shouldn't expect blazing speeds. However, you could do a lot better than your doing. Remember, the score you got from the timedemo is an average. You were going slower than that much of the time.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
      X