Lock up in UT... help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock up in UT... help!

I'm having some real probs in Unreal Tournament. I've been working on it for a week now and still the same prob. I'm don't think it's the G400, but I'm not sure. I've tried GT forums and their tech support to no avail.

After playing the game for about 1 min, I can't move, jump, shoot, or anything. The game is still going on... but I can't move. So it's not a total lock up. I've read some UT tweaking sites and they said that UT doesn't like overclocking. Huh? My machine is totally stable in all my games and apps (ie half life, Quake 3 demo, AND UT Demo). But this only happens in UT full version. What happened in between the demo and full version to cause this to happen?

I disabled 3d audio hardware. CRASH
    I went back to 366 Mhz. CRASH
    I tried playing at 640x480. CRASH
    I tried playing in software mode. CRASH
    I tried playing in OpenGL (with turboGL). CRASH
    I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. CRASH

I tried reinstalling DX7 from the UT disk... the game worked fine for about 1min 30sec, then it locked up again. Although before when it locked up, the game would still be going on, just I couldn't move, jump, or look around. This time when it locked up, the game was still going on, I couldn't move or jump, but I could still look around with the mouse.

I heard that the installer for UT might copy corrupt files from the CD to the HD and not say anything about it. So I copied the disc to my HD and then installed from there. CRASH

Some people said that using a crack program that lets you play without having the UT CD in the tray solved some probs. I found and installed that. CRASH

I closed everything except explorer and systray (this includes Powerdesk). Crash.

Just for the hell of it, I set my desktop res to 32bit and set UT to play at 32bit. I was albe to play one full map with no probs. But about 1min 30sec into the second map, the lock up occured again. WTF?

OHHH... I almost forgot. I dug up my Voodoo2 SLI and tried that on UT (I am desperate). Still crash. So that's software mode, D3D, OpenGL, AND Glide. What next?

Thank for ya'lls help.

------------------
    Abit BH6
    Celeron 550
    Matrox G400 32mb "MAX"
    256MB PC100 RAM
    IBM 10GB 7200rpm HDD
    Creative Labs DVD 5x
    Mitsumi 4x/2x/8x CD-RW
    Monster Sound MX300
    USR 56K Modem
    Creative Labs DTT 2500
    ADi 6P (19" Monitor)
    Win98 SE

[This message has been edited by SPSUguy (edited 02 February 2000).]
    Abit BH6
    Celeron 450
    Matrox G400 32mb "MAX"
    256MB PC100 RAM
    IBM 10GB 7200rpm HDD
    Creative Labs DVD 5x
    Mitsumi 4x/2x/8x CD-RW
    Monster Sound MX300
    USR 56K Modem
    ADi 6P (19" Monitor)
    Windows ME

I'm not too too sure but it doesn't sound like a crash,It sounds like what happens when you have a bad connection to server and the game freezes while its dissconnected.Does it do it in single player or multi-only?
    gobrob

Comment

One more thing to check -- and this may sound really dumb, but it can't hurt to verify -- be sure you don't have your "Say/Talk" key bound to a nearby key that you use for movement or weapons. The symptoms you describe sound like what happens when you are typing a message to someone. I find that once in a while I inadvertently hit that key and suddenly no control -- until I press ESC.
      It's a long shot, but what the heck....
      My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

One time I had a mouse die on me in the middle of UT. That really sucked. Rebooting w9x, and it said that it could not find a mouse connected to my computer. I was able to resurrect it for about 1.5 seconds with an NT box, but that mouse was dead dead.

Is your system running in agp2x? Perhaps you could download the PD 5 registry hacks and install the forceagp1x.reg and reboot. Unstable agp2x systems show their crap in 3d gaming. Although that does not explain why v2sli crashes.

Perhaps you can download the latest reference drivers from Aureal for your MX300 board.

Do you have any IRQ conflicts?

Comment

Working...
        X