X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP minidriver

I´ve problems with opengl games.
    I´ve heard that many have...

Some says that you have too install AGP minidriver for your Mobo??!

What is that?
    where can i find it?

i guess that "mobo" is your motherboard...

anyone that can explain to me!

/Patrik

This all depends on your motherboard, and, more importantly, the chipset your motherboard uses.

Intel motherboards are really low maintenance in this regard if you are using Windows 98. If you are using Windows 95, it's a different story.

VIA and ALi chipsets are another matter. They frequently require driver upgrades to get newer AGP videocards working.

What kind of motherboard do you have? Is it an Intel LX or BX, or does it use a VIA or ALi chipset?

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

i have a BX chipset..

VIA or ALi.. never heard of it..
      what is it?

thanks for your help

Comment

VIA and ALi are two of Intel's competitors. There have been some problems with motherboards based on their chipsets and AGP. These problems are corrected, to one degree or another, with driver upgrades.

If you're using a BX board and Windows 98, you don't need to worry about this. You're set.

Your problems lie elsewhere. Is this a new board? Are you using the drivers that shipped with the card? What board do you have? You should post your specs (CPU, memory, soundcard, *videocard* (very important), NIC, etc.).

Are you having lockups? Funny rainbow effects? What's the nature of your problem?

If you have a G400, make sure dual head is disabled when you run OpenGL games. Make sure the G400 is not sharing an IRQ with anything but IRQ Holder for PCI Steering, and that it is assigned IRQ 9 or higher.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 01 February 2000).]

Comment

For a little correction (no offence PaulCs):

Dualhead only has to be disabled if you run OpenGl games WITHOUT TurboGL. With the latest TurboGL drivers installed you don't have to disable it.

Just for making things clear.

Good Luck
          In case it's a harware problem:
          PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
          Win2K drivers: 5.52

Comment

No offense taken. I'm not sure if he's gotten to the TurboGL stage. A lot of people have problems because they use the shipping drivers. It was a shot in the dark, given what we know about Patrik's setup.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Thanks for the info, FaRaN. I guess it shows that I haven't been able to keep up with the news here as much as I'd like, since I didn't realize that the TurboGL will run with the display in Dualhead mode. Not that I can any time soon, since I still haven't reattached the heatsink to the Maven chip on my Max yet (fell off, LOL).

------------------
              Ace
              "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
              Gainward Ti4600
              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Hi again!

I preciate your help!

my specs:

PII 350
                196 MB ram
                G400 max
                PCI 338-A3D soundcard
                NIC??

I can´t find any IRQ for g400..
                but i found "PCI 338-A3D Sound blaster Emulation" on IRQ 5 and on IRQ 10 i found it again.. "PCI 338-A3D Audio" + "IRQ Holder for PCI Steering"

Strange..

When i look at preferences on my G400..
                I have automatic on the memory controls.. (or what does it say on eng. version on win98)
                I cant set a IRQ for the card..

I hope this can help you find my problem!

best regards!

/Patrik

Comment

Well, no IRQ would be your problem.

Reboot, and go into your BIOS. Look for an option called "assign IRQ to VGA", and Enable it!

Then starts the fun of getting it onto an IRQ it likes. If you are lucky, it will all fall into place, if your not, you may need to do some IRQ juggling (done mostly in the mobo BIOS, and by physically moving cards to different slots)

Here's a couple hints:
                  G400 likes to be on IRQ 9, 10 or 11. Try to get it to go there.
                  Leave the PCI slot closest to the AGP slot empty. That slot usually shares an IRQ qith AGP, and interferes.

Good luck
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Go into your motherboard BIOS and find a command that reads, "enable IRQ for VGA" or something like that. Your G400 wants and IRQ, it wants its own IRQ, and it wants IRQ 9, 10, or 11.

Soundblaster emulation requires its own IRQ, and it generally likes IRQ 5. It is used mainly for DOS games. Your soundcard will take an additional IRQ. We can talk about disabling Soundblaster emulation later. First, we want to assign your videocard an IRQ. Check your BIOS.

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Damn, Kruzin. You beat me to it. I have to learn to type faster.

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 02 February 2000).]

Comment

Guys.. you´re the best!!

Comment

Guys.. you´re the best!!
                          "enable IRQ for VGA" was the solution for my problems with opengl games...

after 2 months of fury.. i will finally play quake3! Yeah! hehe

Thanx alot!

/Patrik

Comment

Working...
                          X