Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Disabling Vsync affect performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Disabling Vsync affect performance?

Does Disabling Vsync affect performance?.. ie in games etc. as i have it enabled at the mo.. and was wondering if i could vet more of a performance increase. not that i am worried about current performance.

------------------
    Attrend Mobo 6240 V2
    MSI slocket(6905-Dual)
    Celery 400a@500
    Windows98SE
    Matrox G400 32 D/H (5.41 drivers)
    Soundblaster 1024 Live @3.0 drivers
    8.4 West Dig (ATA 33)
    6.4 Fugitsu (ATA 66)
    MS Intell/Explorer USB
    Pioneer 6/32x DVD
    Memorex 48X CD
    Altec lansing Sub + 2 satelite speakers

SuSe Linux soon to be installed (proper operating System)

A-Trend Mobo 6240 V2
    Custom Heatsink/Globalwinfan setup
    128MB/PC133/PC100 Combo
    I-Will Slocket2
    PIII Coppermine 500e@690 FSB 138
    Windows98SE
    Matrox G400 32 D/H (Latest drivers)
    Soundblaster 1024 Live @3.0 drivers
    8.4 West Dig (ATA 33)
    6.4 Fugitsu (ATA 66)
    MS Intell/Explorer USB
    Pioneer 6/32x DVD
    Memorex 48X CD
    Altec lansing Sub + 2 satelite speakers

Golden Orb (www.plycon.com) being installed soon

Old Joes's Going for IT!!!

By disabling V-sync, you will gain a few frame per second. ( not much by my own experience, at least on a graphic card with a good tripple-buffer (Nvidia anyone... )
    But you'll find that you might get some image glitch once in a while since the monitor is not sync anymore qithe the card, but it's quite minor usually.
    Athlon64 4800+
    Asus A8N deluxe
    2 gig munchkin ddr 500
    eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
    X-Fi Fatality
    HP w2207

Comment

Yes, framerates will increase very significantly with a fast graphics card (G400, anyone?) (Actually, your monitor has a lot to do with it, too - I was just being silly.)

The reason is, vsynch puts a ceiling on the framerates, so the video card won't display frames faster than your monitor can display them. Remove the speed limit and the video card can display frames as fast as it can. Sometimes this leads to ugly shearing, where the top half of the screen becomes "disconnected" from the bottom half, as if you were splicing two frames together - because you are! It will be most noticeable (and potentially deadly) when the scene changes dramatically, like when you turn around quickly to shoot something, and the screen becomes a garbled mess...

Bill

------------------
      People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...
      People call me a computer god; I remind them that I am merely a minor deity...

Comment

Working...
      X