Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake-2/56k modem/Microsoft Compression

Hi there!

I am having a problem, I set up my modem to use software compression, but it not always connect with MICROSOFT COMPRESSION, and never connects with STUC COMPRESSION. Why is that ?
    What do I need to change to get microsoft compression ?

When I dont get microsoft compression only PASSWORD AUTHNENTICATION PROTOCOL and TCP/IP, I am getting lot of lag in quake 2 and in all other online games...

What should I do >?

------------------
    SVS RUSSIAN
    SVS RUSSIAN

MICROSOFT COMPRESSION=STUC COMPRESSION, I think. I think the problem is your ISP, not your settings.

Comment

Well I think that IS problem with my isp.

And in quake 2 I have my rate set to 4800.
      When I conneting with microsoft compression, I got very good ping 150-250 depends on how many ppl are on server. And no packet loss and no yellow bars in netgraph, only full green bars, and exelent ping.

When I am connecting w/o microsoft compression I got ping like 300-500 which is very sucky and you cannot get good score with this sucky ping.

P.S. my new q2 online record is 207 frags in 30 min, with about 12 players.

------------------
      SVS RUSSIAN
      SVS RUSSIAN

Comment

Quake2 (as well as all id quake engines) already compresses its packets. Although, you can disable this compression with the CVARS by toggling "cl_nodelta 1" at the console. Enabling compression on your modem shouldn't make, if at all, a difference here (unless you disabled delta compression in quake2). Asking quake2 to use more bandwidth than your modem can handle can cause lag (compression included). Try lowering your rate to 3000 or 2500.

You really need a kick ass 56k connection (isp included) to handle a 3000+ rate, imo. Open up a netgraph ("netgraph 1" at the console) in quake2 and examine your connection graphically. Green bars are the latency (measured vertically). Yellow bars are buffering misses (don't worry about them). Red bars are packet loss (could make your framerate and gameplay choppy if in excess). Blue bars mean your connection sucks, but more likely your isp sucks. If you get constant blue bars, then you can try to toggle cl_nodelta to 1 and they will go away. But the side effect of this is you lose packet compression internally to quake2. The biggest side effect to this is increased packet loss and loss of framerate. You really shouldn't disable delta compression unless your desperate. I've seen cases where the isp and connection suck so bad that this is the only way to play, albeit a pathetic way to play. You'll be in q2 netcode prediction "la la" land, but you'll be moving around at least.

[This message has been edited by absalom (edited 29 January 2000).]

Comment

Working...
        X