G400 - Win2k - Q3 - Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 - Win2k - Q3 - Emergency

Okay, heres the low down, i am runnin win2k final, g400 and Q3 is slow and menus dont work.

I would like to know if there is likely to be a fix/newer drivers released in the near future, or do I take my g400 back while I can and swap it for a TNT2u.

I have 2 systems, a celeron 300@450 and a dual celeron 366@550 bp6... blah blah, and my g400 is great in win98 on both systems, but sux in winnt4 and win2k all in Q3.

Just I can wait a little while ie, to the release date of win2k for good drivers, but need to know now, as i really like my g400 apart from this major setback.

Hate to break it to you, but ALL cards run Q3 slow under Win2k. Facts of life, until final drivers are released for all these cards.

So I guess the answer is... wait. But if you're the kind of person that would consider running off and getting a TNT2 at the first sign of trouble with Win2k, maybe you should be running a Voodoo3 under Win98SE, hmm?

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

So why does my TNT run so well in Win2k ?
      Q3 is almost as good as win98 for me.

Comment

Okay, I thought it was more of a driver issue which lies with the hardware, not the game. But hey its your Forum !

Comment

You know, I've actually seen the TNT2U under win2k and it looks pretty bad... The choice is yours of course, but I wouldn't change it.
          "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
          --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Just a word of warning, North...

When you post something like that you are likely to attract only two kinds of responses. You will most likely just be ignored by the most of people here but there is a big chance that someone will flame your a*s for not understanding that at this monent Win2k support is at a BETA stage for most videocards, including the nVidia series.

Also, by writing that Q3 support is more important to you than all the other aspects that makes up a good videocard you place yourself amongst a group of people who have visited these boards from time to time and left in flames.

In a perfect world you would have perfect OGL support for all games and apps. at the time when a new version of your favorite OS is announced, not when it's released or the competent developers of drivers have had a little time to write support for your hardware. Just because you have a final version of Win2k does not mean that there is support for all available hardware.

For example, I'm unable to use the new hibernation feature in Win2k because the drivers for my (cheasy) SCSI-2 adapter are not ACPI compliant. There aren't even drivers for the card included on the Win2k retail cd! I am of course hoping that either MS or the manufacturer will write some better drivers soon, but I'm not losing any sleep over problems with an OS that has not even been released to the public yet.

Enough bitching,

Jake
            Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
            ----------------------
            Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Sorry, me again.. I actually do have a question too, my PC at my office also have Win2k installed with a G200 card and I'm trying to get a demo of "Soldier of Fortune" from ravensoft to work ....

I've had no luck yet locating a working OpenGL driver for G200/Win2k, anyone
              else had succes with this?

BTW. I've tried the beta drivers for win2k/G200 from matrox's homepage but all I've discovered, is that it's the only piece of software that actually had succes, crashing and destroying a win2k installation of mine... ;-)

Again, best regards and happy thoughts,
              Troels
              Denmark

Comment

I wasn't aware that the Win2k beta drivers worked on the G200. I was under the impression that you were stuck (for now) with the ones from the CD.

- Gurm

P.S. Yes, if frame rates mean everything then by all means go get a TNT2/GeFarce. We've said that from the beginning. If you want a QUALITY card, be patient for a bit and the G400 will come through, as always.

------------------
                Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Hi Gurm, well, yes, the drivers for G200 that comes with Win2000 do actually work with my G200 but like my former TNT and current Geforce, OpenGL is not supportet.

I dont think any of microsoft's reference drivers shipped with Win2000 support OpenGL.

Regarding your comment on nVidia vs. Matrox 3D accellerators i can only say it's a matter of personal taste, I started out several years ago with a Voodoo1 card, then Millinium G200, then voodoo2, then nVidia TNT and finally now a GeForce DDR...(Still G200 at work)...

My experience tells me that there's allways a tradeoff, maybe more a apropriate describtion would be flavors.. The above products was/is in my opinion outstanding and all of them was/is pioneering and deserves therefore respect..Without one or more of these, the competition would not have pushed the manufactures to develop the wide range of high performing, low priced 3D cards we have the choice between today, including Matrox G400, nVidia Geforce and the forthcomming 3Dfx Voodoo5 ...

All of these products being unique in their own way, G400 = superb image quality, GeForce = small image-quality sacrifice but more speed and finally, Voodoo5 = Poor image but EXTREEME speed.... This ensures you that whatever your personal preferences may be, the product you may need/want, exists.

I like the GeForce for now.. But who knows, in 6 months, I might have a Matrox G500 ...
                  or 3Dfx Voodoo6 or nVidia GeForceII ... Whatever I need/want or can afford at that time...

Best regards and happy thoughts
                  Troels

Comment

There is a very good article here for the ones who are interested in video cards and w2k
                    http://www.reactorcritical.com/perfo...ce-win2k.shtml

check it out, Nivida beta driver is clearly better than ours, looking forward to the poeple in that picture to come out with a good set of drivers. (hope it will not be in 2001) just joking, no offense :-)

Comment

Hmm... Just read the post regarding win2k and
                      nVidia TNT and felt like sharing my
                      experiences...

I've installed win2k and nVidia's reference
                      BETA drivers and that gives me 36 fps in Q3
                      running 800x600x16 with a Celeron 450MHz...
                      Completely satisfied as 30+ fps is no longer
                      notisable for the human eye... TNT+win2k+beta
                      drivers from nVidia gives plenty of fps and
                      great image quality...

A little "funny one" I noticed with Win2k, by the way, although not really relevant to this forum but a interesting piece of info, is that my dialup connection (With ISDN)connects MUCH faster than with that of 95/98 and the bandwith seems as though it is used much more effecient.... Just a thought.. Actually, everything seems faster in win2k, at least compared to my former f**ed up win98 installation...

Now using PIII-750 / GeForce DDR - hehe.. speed no longer an issue... Even with beta drivers for win2k ;-)

Ooh.. before I forget, an IMPORTANT thing to remember when installing Win2k, the drivers that come with Win2k does NOT support OpenGL, so if you do not install a new a driver for your Videoadapter from your manufacturer, or some sort of reference driver, it will use software-rendering if anything at all.. And after all, none of us spent money on a 3D accellerator card, just to use software rendering....

(Sorry for my english, but it's not my native language...)

Best regards
                      Troels
                      Denmark

-----------
                      Over and out...

Comment

Working...
                      X