Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD decoder card output problem

Hi,

I'm trying to output my mpeg video thru my Creative Labs Encore DVD-ROM dxr-3 decoder card. For some reason, the output is black and white. I've checked with the NTSC and PAL settings. They're all correct.

The way I'm doing it is plugging in a S-Video adaptor for my video composite wire since my VCR does not support S-video.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Check your adapter.

To get composite signal with color, it must mix the signals from TWO pins of S-video connector. It also must keep correct luma / chroma signal levels in mixed signal.

Either your adapter lost chroma pin connection, or the mixing is incorect and your VCR cannot detect color standard and shows in B/W.

Grigory

Comment

Hi actrinh,

I'pretty certain that the Dxr3 S-Video 'converter' isn't really a converter, just
      a fancy connector.

If you're using the S-Video to RCA adapter that comes with the Dxr3, The Dxr3 S-video connector has a couple of extra signal pins
      in the middle.

Hypothesis is that they're composit video, & all the Dxr3 S-video:RCA 'converter'
      does is connect them to the RCA connector. (I'll verify this when I get home tonite).

I think I saw a B&W setting on a Dxr3 PROPERTIES window somewhere. If so, maybe iit's set.(I could be confusing this with a RRS PROPERTIES Video capture setting tho.)

So, the possibilities seem to be:
      1) Dxr3 composite video output's chroma
      modulation is broken, or
      incompatible with your VCR.
      - Does S-Video work?
      - Are you running a really long RCA cable
      that might be attenuating the chroma
      sub-carrier part of the composite video
      signal.

2) B&W Is selected in PC-DVD PROPERTIES somewhere.
      Verell

Comment

As far as I know, S-video and composite differ only in the number of wires. Composite has both luma and chroma mixed in one signal, S-video has SAME signals, but propagating in TWO separate wires.

To make S-video -> composite, the adapter has to connect two wires to one, maybe via resistors. That's all.
        I have Hollywood+ card (DRX3 uses same chip inside), and the adapter seems to be a simple mixer of luma and chroma signals.

Grigory

Comment

Working...
        X