Why RT2000 bound to G400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why RT2000 bound to G400?

Why would RT2000 have to be bound to a G400 in order for it to work. I know a G400 is package as part of the RT2000, but why can't Matrox make RT2000 independent of G400 and sell it for cheaper?

I want to use my NV20, NAPALM, AROURA or whatever in my system, but not this generation of Video Card.

According to Matrox information, G400 3D engine is used for realtime video effects.

Excellent idea, I think.

It is the first time when consumer 3D accelerator has better task than shooting monsters in Quake

Grigory

Comment

From the Matrox site:

"Matrox RT2000 harnesses the power of the Matrox Millennium G400 graphics
      accelerator via the revolutionary new Matrox Flex 3D architecture to deliver
      realtime, broadcast-quality 2D/3D DVE and transitions. You get over 500 realtime
      effects and transitions including page curls, perspectives, scaling, picture-in-picture, and organic wipes with customizable drop shadows, soft edges, and color
      borders. In the future, additional effects libraries that could include 3D warps,
      water reflection, wave, emboss, and zoom will be available over the Internet."

and

"Flex 3D is a fully programmable architecture that applies 3D texture mapping to video using a Matrox 3D graphics accelerator chip and graphics memory. Motion
      video or graphics are treated as source textures and mapped onto polygon-based
      3D shapes such as page curls, planes, and particles. Broadcast-quality effects
      are achieved using special features that are built into the 3D-accelerator chip
      and exploited through the Flex 3D architecture:
      • YUV4:2:2 and RGB32 source textures and 32bpp RGBA output maintain
      true-color integrity.
      • Tri-linear and anisotropic filtering ensure high-quality video scaling
      and perspective.
      • Sub-pixel precision guarantees smooth DVEs and transitions.
      • Anti-aliasing ensures smooth edges.
      • True environment-mapped hardware bump-mapping produces an unlimited
      variety of realistic effects such as emboss, ripple, shimmer, wave, etc.
      • 256 levels of alpha-blending enable multi-layer compositing.
      The fact that Flex 3D is fully programmable means that additional effects can be
      added via supplementary software. An unlimited variety of brand new effects, that
      have never been seen before, can be developed."

That is why you need a G400. Why you have to get the G400 bundled with the RT2000 is not clear. Apparently the G400 card has been modified in some way.

Comment

Yeah, I know RT2000 use 3D feature to do some realtime 3D effects, but could Matrox use standard D3D or other standard 3D engines so that it's compatible with other 3D card?

I want to buy RT2000, but I am not sure if I want to stick with G400 for the life of the RT2000 card. People usually replace video card more often than any special function card like the RT2000.

Just my opinion.

Comment

The card would then no longer be real-time. Also, the G400's DualHead is no doubt used for the TV-out. For the price, I am more than willing to stay with the G400 for the duration. Then again, I am building a computer whose sole purpose is to house the RT2000.

Comment

does anyone know how the g400 has been modified....
            it would be a good idea if matrox where able to sell just the rt200 down the line for owners of G400 cards, it would be nice to have the choice of upgrading my RRG at some point :O)
            (my max due to come in the next 2 weeks
            YIPPIEEEEEEEE :O) :O) :OP
            Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

does anyone know how the g400 has been modified....
              it would be a good idea if matrox where able to sell just the rt200 down the line for owners of G400 cards, it would be nice to have the choice of upgrading my RRG at some point :O)
              (my max due to come in the next 2 weeks
              YIPPIEEEEEEEE :O) :O) :OP
              Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

ooooooopppppsss :O(
                sorry, my apologies for the double post

Comment

I've said it before in an other thread, but it deserves repeating here.
                  Please oh great M, have pitty in your loyal subjects. Alowe us the pleasure of the RT2000, with our existing G400 (and MAXs ).
                  If there's a list being compiled of interest from existing G400 users, count me in.
                  I did read in one thread, that there is some thought being given to the idea, now that Matrox is realizing the extemt of the intrest in the RT2000. That was from one of the "in the know" poeple, so there is hope!
                  Anything we can do to help encourage this, let me know.

Mark F.

------------------
                  OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                  and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
                  X