W2K + Games-->solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2K + Games-->solution

I think this has been stated in some form or another recently, but for those having problems getting games (especially Q3) to work at all, or properly on build 2195 with the Matrox beta drivers, set your AGP aperture size to 64Meg. At least, that's what worked for me--I have 128Meg of RAM. I'm not exactly sure why...perhaps the aperture size HAS to be less than your actual amount of RAM?

For me, symtoms of it not being set properly were severly messed up textures in any openGL app, refusal of Q3 to get past the logo screen, and refusal of some miscellaneous OpenGL apps to work, and some Direct3D apps.

Now to fix my next problem...gamma seems to be broken in Q3, and it's way too dark to see in the game (heh...good excuse for my sucking so much at the game, though.)

I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating:

AGP Aperture is a horribly broken feature on literally 95% of all motherboards in production. If you have to set it to anything other than half of your RAM size, there's something wrong with your system. If you've eliminated all other options, then your motherboard is probably using a broken implementation of AGP Aperture.

Don't feel bad though, since the nicest motherboards on the market have this same problem. ABIT, some ASUS, Tyan, Soyo... all have the same problem.

Now... Windows 2000, using ACPI, will override bad motherboard options an awful lot of the time, which is why you now have to set your setting CORRECTLY (and for you with 128MB, 64MB is the CORRECT setting).

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Stupid question maybe, but what if you have 192MB?

Do I set it to 64 or 128? Right now, I err on the side of caution and I set it to 64MB, but when I know I am going to use the TGL, I set it to 256MB to correct some slowdowns when using the TGL.

Thanks...
      Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

Comment

It's personal preference. The big question is not how much you REALLY need, since you usually don't need ANY with a 32-meg card and today's games. The question is simply how the drivers are set up to address the card's memory, and whether that addressing is dependent on the aperture setting or not.

So in other words, 64 is fine, 128 is fine. Doesn't matter unless you see a performance difference one way or the other.

Now, on an interesting side note... I started with an ABIT BH6, progressed to a BX6, then a BX6-v2, then a BE-6, then a BE6-v2, then a BF6, and now an ASUS P3B-F. And I have NEVER had to change my aperture size from 128.

So... I guess I just lucked out in the memory/cpu/component harmory area.

- Gurm

------------------
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

That's weird, Gurm. I've tried it on both a BX6 and a BE6, and never had to touch the AGP aperture size either, until playing with Win2K.

Maybe this peculiarity with different motherboard manufacturers was one of the reasons that Microsoft decided that W2K was not a 'consumer, gamers' OS?

Comment

Nah, MS decided that Win2k wasn't a "consumer" OS simply because of:

A. Price point
            B. Not being able to squeeze all the features from Millennium into Win2k before release.

If the manufacturers come through with driver support, Win2k will be a consumer OS in all but name.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Try running 3DMark2000 with 64 MB Aperture size or 128 MB Aperture size...For me it made the difference in running the 64 MB texture test or not...With 128 MB enabled I thing the G400 is the only shipset that can handle all tests correctly. Because Other cards don't have The...E-bump mapping...(stupid of them...) Maybe we should send them some pictures of the e-bump test in 3M2K...

Nvidia is so stupid they use...Lotus Domino as their webserver...with security holes...
              http://www.nvidia.com/catalog.nsf ...I have mailed them a few times...but O no...(Stupid)

------------------
              What I like about computing?2 much 2 mention

[This message has been edited by Punk (edited 24 January 2000).]
              What I like about computing?2 much 2 mention

Comment

wow, now that is scary.....
                I guess there will be one webmaster's sphincter quivering with fear when he does get around to reading your emails.

Comment

Working...
                X