Win2k FCS - first impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k FCS - first impressions

Well, finally I got done downloading the -- what we know as -- final customer ship version of Win2k (I have a universal MSDN subscription).

The Good : UT ran absolutely fluid, comparable with Win98. I'm pleasantly surprised by that.

The weird : in 1152x864 (for some reason this is my favourite rez on my 20" Trinitron) it only allows 75Hz refresh (the other resolution have a full selection of refresh rates as they very well should)

The ugly : Right after startup, Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.0 blue screens in G400D.DLL. This is not good.

pp

I think there may be problems with Adaptec EZ CD creator. In Win2k Pro when using EZ CD creator I get either get blue screen of death or EZ CD just hangs. Does anyone here have Win2k on EZ CD working?

xippo

Comment

I believe by people using a 16 bit desktop, according to other threads on this forum.

Comment

Yup, Hunsow got it - you must run in 16-bit mode in order to use EZ-CD Creator. If you turn off the stupid tray icon thinger you can probably get by with usually running in 32-bit and just switching to 16-bit when you want to burn a CD, but...

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

What drivers are you using? I am also suffering from the 1152X864 75Hz refresh rate annoyance. Powerstrip to the rescue...

Jon
          My baby...

QDI Brilliant IV - Bios 2.0 Beta (Win2000 updates - email me if you want it!)
          2 Pentium III 500 MHz
          256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
          Matrox Millenium G200 8 MB SGRAM - Bios 2.6-20
          2 Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI...)
          Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!
          Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
          Quantum Viking 4.5 GB UW SCSI (weak...)
          Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 2X
          Iomega 1GB Jazz

All running on Win2000...

Comment

EZ CD is a nasty puppy. The only reason I bought 4.0 over the bundled 3.51 was because -- surprise -- that one made WIN2K lock up hard upon booting. My guess is that it was the ASPI driver that they installed.

FWIW : 4.0 ran fine on RC2 with my old V3/3000.

Thanks for the 16 bit tip. I will try that out as soon as I boot back in W2K.

pp

PS: I just beat that Xan bastard for the first time. Woohoo. I'm still shaking and sweating and my heartbeat must have been at least 130.

Comment

Pranc, email me dentycracker@hotmail.com, i'll send you a file from adaptec that allows you to install 3.5. It's called cd4up.exe
              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

P.P.:

Just use another buring prog. CDRwin, Nero, EasyCD Pro all work flawlessly under Win2k.

The Rock
                Bart

Comment

yes they work fine when burning, but I don't think they do dae... Nero 4.0.7.5 doesn't anyway, when you bring up the source drive window there are no drives listed. Copying works fine though.

Comment

Here's a followup: I finally got around and tried 16bit mode : works nicely. (That's good too because I was growing tired of buffer underruns in Doze).

Someone asked what drivers I'm running : I just pulled the latest beta that's linked from the MURC main page.

Re: Burning software. I really like EZCD for its explorer like interface. I think that CDRWIN is lacking a bit when you would want to put together a data CD with a custom directory layout.

pp
                    O-

Comment

Working...
                    X