another dumb newbie section about Quake3 Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another dumb newbie section about Quake3 Arena

I am playing Q3 and using GLSetup 1.0.0.110 Beta Release - 11/15/99.

I have seen some guys here mention Turbo GL. Is it better, and where do i get it. Also, do i need to uninstall the existing GLSetup and Quake 3 to use Turbo?

I have a G400Max, P3/500, BE6.

Also, I used to play Quake 2 and it was cool runnning around destroying aliens, but with Quake Arena...are all the games against "players", like a collosium style battle...or is there a way not to play against "player" and procedd to different levels and fight aliens like the old Quake 2?
    told ya it was a buncha dumb questions.

thanks tho'

Quake 3 is multiplayer training. Basically, it's multiplayer Quake 2 but against computer "bots". Unreal Tourney is the same.

Download the Turbo GL drivers right from the main MURC page! At the top! Or go to www.matrox.com but it's easier from here. Once you have them downloaded and extracted, use the TurboGL manager to install them into supported games.

However, installing Quake 3 and turbo GL is like trying to get 2 male monkeys to mate. You have to install it while Q3 is in 800x600x32 or something like that and it improves only 800x600x32. So i dont know, im still not sure if it ever worked for me. Might wanna consider the 5.5 beta drivers, i love them!

Comment

Just install the 5.41 powerdesk drivers (downloadable on this site) over the GLSetup, it works. No need to uninstall.
      Do not install TurboGL yet..
      First fire up Q3. Set the res to 800x600 32-bit. Quit Q3.
      Next, install the TurboGL v1.0 drivers(also downloadable on this site).
      Now, run Q3. You can switch resolutions and such things now, but you will have to exit Q3 in 800x600/32bit or otherwise it won't run anymore.
      If you do screw up: rename the G400icd.dll and opengl.dll, start up Q3, set to 8x6/32, quit, rename back to original, run Q3. Yeah.

No It's not possible to play Q3 against 'Alians' Only against bots. (like said above).

I don't recommend the beta-drivers since you are a novice user. Yust wait for the final version and stick with 5.41 for now. Easier. You won't see the difference.

I hope you understand it all.

Good Luck!!!
      In case it's a harware problem:
      PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
      Win2K drivers: 5.52

Comment

I have never had these problems with the turboGL

I run in 640x480x32 G400 Vanilla oced to 150/200/150

I never have ran it in 800x600 to my memory, and it always boots up fine.

And yes, Turbo GL is installed

Comment

I believe the 800x600/32-bit bug was fixed with the final release of the game.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
          X