Gawdawful Turbo GL performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gawdawful Turbo GL performance?

UT on D3D runs great, but Turbo GL runs damn slow whenever more than 20 polys enter the screen.

Although my benchmarks for Q3 seem to run fine, they are hella slower than ppl who have posted on here with high quality settings and SLOWER cpus.

Half Life runs good on D3D, but Turbo GL has the same problem as in UT; slow unless you're looking directly at a blank wall with no poly's on the screen.

So what gives? I havent tried the full ICD but i think turbo GL is supposed to perform at least nominal not crappy-ass. Is there a trick to installing it? I just d/l it and double click install after clean-installing 5.30

System specs;
    P2-400 100 bus default clock
    G400 MAX default clock
    96 SDRAM
    Vsync disabled
    Directx7
    5.30 w/turbo GL
    Winslow 98

I hate to say this, because I'm a big OpenGL fan myself, but the trick is to switch API's and use D3D. This is, first and foremost, a Glide-based game, and the manufacturer is the first to admit the OpenGL implementation is "experimental." Some would replace "experimental" with "extremely poor."

Apparently, some people do have it up and running in OpenGL, but why give yourself a headache when it will run so much better in D3D?

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

LET IT BE KNOWN THROUGHOUT THE LAND THAT on this day, January 20th of the year two thousand, I am one, big fat, dumb ass. I went back and read through the release notes of all the releases of powerdesk drivers and i noticed that Turbo GL has to be installed using TGL manager that i didnt even know existed. Here i am telling others to "read the release notes dammit".

Other issues im asking about; Now that half life runs faster than ever before (even better than D3D), Quake 3 benchmarks show no improvement whatsoever. Im still getting 10 fps less average than other ppl with a p2 400 G400 max combo. Please tell me why! Does 5.41 work any better?

UT does some funky things in turbo GL. The performance is there; a full 3 fps - 10 fps better than d3d and a whole hella mega fatta better than the full icd which got maybe 9 fps at best, but the textures look like this;

0234567890 IEIHGIBOODKLELWKWJ 98728374982
      2fdkjfkdfD 099939398383838993 KDIF(J#(FJJ

It's really flaky on turbo GL. The cursor is some kind of icon that changes according to the weapon. Again, do the 5.41 drivers fix this? Also, GL takes forever to load, and the hard drive works continuously during play until the entire level is explored. Once that happens performance goes nominal. D3D pre-caches in seconds and the RAM holds it like it's been there all of it's life. Hard drive never even hiccups. Is this just a turbo GL compromise or something?

Thanks you
      Village Idiot signing out

Comment

Turn off Trilinear Filtering. The G400, due to the fact that it's one of the only cards to actually implement Trilinear, takes a 30% hit. When people here say they're using "high quality" they have turned off Trilinear (usually).

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

PD 5.41 provided a nice image quality enhancement (just when you thought the blood and guts couldn't get any redder...), but I haven't heard of any UT OpenGL fixes.

I know the new UT patch helps out with D3D, but again, I haven't heard anything about OpenGL improvements.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

You may as well forget UT + OGL. It will never perform worth a crap on any video card. D3D is the way to go (as Paul stated in his earlier post, although he forgot to specify he was talking about UT )
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Oops!

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

To answer your question bigluker,

the PD 5.41 has several bug fixes and improvements so you should update from PD5.30 !

You might also try PD5.50 which seem to have quite a few problems, but also seems to run pretty good one some configurartions ...

And don't forget to use the uninstaller !

------------------
                Cheers,
                Maggi

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...
                Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                LG BH10LS38
                LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

UT in OGL is kinda blah. Even with the turboGL, full ICD, whatever, the engine just doesnt like it. Stick to D3D and 5.41 for UT in my case, best combo.

Now, Q3 is a funny thing. You might be getting slower FPS, but also, a lot of epople benchmark it without sound (the fools) so that might be the root of your different fps. Also maybe you are usinf A3D audio, thats also a performance hit. The trilinear mapping is a good suggestion, set it to Bilinear. Also make sure your desktop is as close as possible to your gaming res. For some reason, in my case this causes a slight fps difference (only 1-2, but they are there). If I think of anything else I'll post it.

------------------
                  Asus P2B-F, P3-450~556, 512MB PC100 8ns SDRAM, G400MAX (yay!) at 160Mhz, Teac 58S CD-R, Toshiba SM-1002 DVD-ROM, Toshiba 40X SCSI CD-ROM, 8.4GB IDE primary drive, 9GB Micropolis Tomahawk UWSCSI, 9GB IBM U2WSCSI, 18GB U2WSCSI Cheetah, Diamond MX300, 3COM 10/100TX, 3COM Gaming Modem, Adaptec 2940U2W

And a partridge in a pear treeeeeeee.
                  A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

See my 5.5 beta testing results in the "PowerDesk" forum. Ive learned a lot in the past few days.
                    Running Q3A in 800x600 is the way to go. Even with the trilinear and FULL TEXTURE DETAIL (that's right boys and girls, the slider bar is all the way to the right) i get 33 fps benchmark. The key is to run it in 800x600 on my system. This is the only game to take a major kick squa in the nuts when resolutions change (D3D doesnt take ANY performance hit-even at 1280x1024 the benchmarks dont lie). 5.5 is a nice performance boost i might add, and g400 tweak to disable Vsync is the only way to go for games like Rogue Spear that imrove drastically with it off.

Comment

Working...
                    X