yay or nay? marvel g200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yay or nay? marvel g200

weigh in! (marvel g200 doesn't work very well with premiere right? damn, i'll be using premiere mostly not avid or ulead)

i can get a marvel g200 for $200 canadian...

yay or nay?
    ==
    "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

Well if your prime concern is to be able to use Premier without problems, then the answer is "no".

Some folks are using Premier with Marvel with some success, but it isn't a supported combination and there aren't many people who can help you out with it.

On the other hand, $200 canadian sounds like a good deal to me for a very usable tool, so if you can afford to compromise on Premier then the answer would be "yes"

Comment

Can't comment on the Premiere issue as I'm quite happy with MSP. Suffice to say that I'm also very happy with my G200 for which I paid $400 just 6 months ago <sigh>. Sounds like a deal to me.....
      PII350, MarvelG200, MSP5.2, PromiseFT w/2x8.4's, SB-PCI128

Comment

what are the issues with premiere?

i'll just be using it to make console game captures, and screengrabs for online reviews, and to play my playstation/possibly dreamcast on my monitor.

i use premiere to convert between mpeg<->avi and some minor editing
        ==
        "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

Comment

I would also like to know what Premiere-Marvel G200 problems there are. I'm using that combo and have had no problems that I know of. Oh, something else that will make you cringe, I'm using SS7
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

TnT,

What do you actually do with primere? The problems for me are so servere its next to useless. Sure if you capture *outside* of primere and only join the clips with transitions and render to MPEG or some other codec it "works".

But trying to capture in premiere, trim a clip with frame accuracy, or use the "three point" editing the problems are obvious -- black windows, clip plays but doesn't stop, 5+ second delays when switching windows, and video outputs using any codec other than dmb1 that are displaced down and right by 5-10 pixels leaving black bars on the top and left edges. Useless!

So if you can use three point edit I'd like to know the exact:

1) version of premier
            2) version of powerdesk
            3) version of video tools
            4) SS7 motherboard brand and bios revision
            5) version of windows.

As to the help on the RMA, it seems only "insiders" get any consideration at all.

My PCI marvel was RMA'd. After over a month without it I made enough noise to have them send an AGP version instead. Never any feedback, I'd still be waiting if I didn't bitch.

I'd like to see a G200 Marvel to G400 Marvel trade up program that recovers a significant fraction of the money I've aparently wasted on the Marvel, since the insiders seem to think the G400 Marvel fixes "many of the irritations".

I'll happily sell mine for $200 + COD
            since its useless to me and I've no more time to waste trying to find a driver combination that works.

--wally.

Comment

Working...
            X