g400 lockups and trouble....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g400 lockups and trouble....

hi, i've had a g400 since they came out (32meg, non-max) and i've had problems exer since :-( (i've had teh card since then and haven't been able to use 3d ever since...)

Every time i use almost any 3d app, like the techdemo included with the card, my computer locks up. like when i use the techdemo, i get sound, but there is only a blank screen staring at me...

my specs are:

Dell XPS R450
    Pentium II 450MHz
    Sound Blaster Live!Value Edition
    Matrox G400 32MB
    3Com Ethernet Card
    3Com 56K Modem
    128MB RAM
    Maxtor 20.0 GB Hard Drive
    Creative Labs 4224 CD-RW
    Generic 40x CD-ROM

well, heres the bad news: i don;t know what to do. i've got the same problem. my matrox 16mb almost worked (without busmastering and agp1x) propely on my old Compaq400, but since I received my all new Athlon500 last week the matrox refuses to do antyhing involving d3d. Unreal locks up after five minutes of 3d, techdemo halts in loading sequence or laughs in my face with a dark black screen (i hear sound though)
    Starcraft (non3d game) *does* work... :-(
    Help!

Gus

System specs
    Athlon 500, 128 ram, MicroStar AMD approved mobo, SBlive1024, TVTuner, Acer DVD, Windows 98, Matrox G400 16mb singlehead, maxtor 13GB hdd

PS
    seems the only thing we have in common is the maxtor harddisk. but since im not a hardware whizzkid i dont know if that means something. we could be just both unlucky...

[This message has been edited by Gus (edited 15 January 2000).]

Comment

hey gus,

i was just reading your post today, and tried some of the things they suggested, but non of em worked

Comment

None of the suggestions worked for me either. I havent tried the hardware stuff yet (switching DIMMS or throwing away my TvTuner) but Im afraid this problem is beyond my imagination... I cant understand a bit of it! Unreal works for 5 minutes and then crashes... But it actually *works* 5 minutes! In D3d!
        My brain must be the size of a wallnut... :-(

Gus

PLZ mail me if you got any suggestions or solutions! gusart@casema.net

Comment

FFVIIGuy-
          Check the 3com website for drivers for your Ethernet card.
          Get the ones labeled "basic, unsupported". There are some issues with certain 3com NIC "full" version drivers...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Did any of you bother to check your power supply ratings? Now, more than ever, AGP cards are demanding more current. And video cards use THE MOST current when theyre doing 3D. Tons of people with high-performance AGP cards or Athlons have reported that switching to a good 300w PS has FIXED all their instability problems. What are your wattage ratings?

------------------
            This Signature Space FOR SALE / RENT

Comment

i only have a 200W power supply... but i also DON'T have an athlon, so i don't see how that could be the problem

Comment

Power IS a possibility, but not too likely. Try more stuff before you switch the supplies. Go read the last post on Gus's page and try that. Post your IRQ's when possible. What mobo do you have and what chipset is it using? Sorry, I'm on a 28.8 modem now and can't check the dell page and find out this stuff from yuour model. You DO have the latest drivers from the SBLive, right? Check for new versions. What PDesk you using?
                "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Here's the list and I know I'll forget something:

Make sure your board is properly seated in the slot. Give it a good push, because this stuff can be *very* deceptive. It looks like its in properly, but it's just a little off.

Disable all video shadowing and caching.

Open your AGP Aperture to 256.

Upgrade your Soundblaster Live's drivers to the lastest version.

Make sure your board is using IRQ 9 or above and is *not sharing* with another device other than IRQ Holder for PCI Steering.

When you install drivers, DO NOT use the inf method. Instead, as Matrox instructs, switch to the standard VGA driver and run the setup.

As Kruzin suggests, go to 3Comm's site, download and install the basic drivers for your NIC. There is a conflict with 3Comm's goofy full driver set and the G400's drivers.

You probably shouldn't have discounted what MadCat said so quickly. Modern videocards are very demanding, and you have a really wimpy power supply by today's standards. *If all else fails*, you should consider upgrading.

Make sure whatever you get is at least 250 Watts (300 Watts is better), a quality brand, and that it is compatible with your Dell motherboard.

Did I forget anything?

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Posting your IRQ's, as Dimitri suggests, is a good idea. There are people on the forum who read them like tea leaves. If you are having IRQ problems, there are a bunch of things you can do.

Paul
                    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

heheh, whoops, misread the power supply as a 400 watt. That's what happens when looking at a 13" monitor with dots all over it and a really really crappy resolution with an even worse vid card... Sorry about that.
                      "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
                      --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Take that card back, Dimitri!

Paul
                        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

can't right now. I'm on my dad's comp. MY card WILL display a forum correctly.
                          --- Albert Einstein

Comment

Disable all video shadowing and caching.

'in the bios, but where?'

Open your AGP Aperture to 256.

'done'

Upgrade your Soundblaster Live's drivers to the lastest version.

'liveware 3.0? done'

Make sure your board is using IRQ 9 or above and is *not sharing* with another device other than IRQ Holder for PCI Steering.

'on irq 11... not sharing w/ anything but the pci steering'

When you install drivers, DO NOT use the inf method. Instead, as Matrox instructs, switch to the standard VGA driver and run the setup.

'did that... reformatted the HD to get the card working, but no luck '

As Kruzin suggests, go to 3Comm's site, download and install the basic drivers for your NIC. There is a conflict with 3Comm's goofy full driver set and the G400's drivers.

'ummm... i think i did (kinda worried about cutting off the internet connection)'

You probably shouldn't have discounted what MadCat said so quickly. Modern videocards are very demanding, and you have a really wimpy power supply by today's standards. *If all else fails*, you should consider upgrading.

'i think i will... i need a new case anyway, this one's getting a wee bit cramped'

Make sure whatever you get is at least 250 Watts (300 Watts is better), a quality brand, and that it is compatible with your Dell motherboard.

Did I forget anything?

'i hope not '

Comment

here are my irq's, as requested...

00 - System Timer
                              01 - Standard 101/1020Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
                              02 - Programmable interrupt controller
                              03 - 3Com EtherLink 10 ISA TPO (3C509b-TPO) in PnP mode
                              04 - Communications Port (COM1)
                              05 - CS4236B
                              06 - Standard Floppy Disk Controller
                              07 - Printer Port (LPT1)
                              08 - System CMOS/real time clock
                              09 - Creative SB Live! Value
                              09 - Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
                              09 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                              09 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                              10 - CS4236B
                              11 - Matrox Millennium G400 Dual Head - English
                              11 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
                              12 - WheelMouselM (PS/2)
                              13 - Numeric data processor
                              14 - Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
                              14 - Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
                              15 - Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
                              15 - Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

I have NO IDEA what 'CS4236B' is, but it is hogging up 05 and 10...

BTW i have a phoenix bios, taken off support.dell.com

Comment

Working...
                              X