UT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT

I would be grateful for any tips on improving gfx / fps performance for UT with a G400 . I know UT favours 3dfx but having shelled out for a G400 i thought id like to try and use it

Ath 600
    G400 sh 32mb + latest power desk , drivers etc
    128 mb RAM

Some configs would be appreciated .

Thanks

With your setup I would expect very good performance in UT. Are your frame rates too low or just looking for a boost?

Comment

Try this one. You may still want to change texture detail to medium for online play. You can add the 960x720 res using the PD Resolution Manager (get it from murc):

Code:
      [WinDrv.WindowsClient]
      WindowedViewportX=640
      WindowedViewportY=480
      WindowedColorBits=16
      FullscreenViewportX=960
      FullscreenViewportY=720
      FullscreenColorBits=16
      Brightness=0.700000
      MipFactor=1.000000
      UseDirectDraw=True
      UseJoystick=False
      CaptureMouse=True
      StartupFullscreen=True
      CurvedSurfaces=False
      LowDetailTextures=False
      ScreenFlashes=True
      NoLighting=False
      SlowVideoBuffering=True
      DeadZoneXYZ=True
      DeadZoneRUV=False
      InvertVertical=False
      ScaleXYZ=1000.000000
      ScaleRUV=2000.000000
      MinDesiredFrameRate=34.000000
      Decals=True
      NoDynamicLights=False
      UseDirectInput=True
      SkinDetail=High
      TextureDetail=High
      NoFractalAnim=False

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
      Translucency=True
      VolumetricLighting=False
      ShinySurfaces=True
      Coronas=True
      HighDetailActors=True
      UseMipmapping=True
      UseTrilinear=False
      UseMultitexture=True
      UsePageFlipping=True
      UsePalettes=True
      UseFullscreen=True
      UseGammaCorrection=True
      DetailTextures=False
      Use3dfx=False
      UseTripleBuffering=False
      UsePrecache=True
      Use32BitTextures=False
      DescFlags=1
      dwDeviceId=1317
      dwVendorId=4139
      UseVSync=False
      Description=Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
      P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

I do 1024x768-32bit with everything on except world detail set to med.Celeron300@450,128megs ram,g400 16meg sh.
        I get about35-40fps

Comment

gobrob,

I am planning to add 64 megs ram to have 128 total. I also have a cel 400 at 450. I can hit the same numbers as you right now, the problem is have alot of hitching. It was running a lot smoother, and I am thinking I need to defrag the HD.

With your setup, are you experiencing any hitching or does game play stay smooth?

I have also noticed that I got the same fps using 640x480, everything low, and 1024x768x32, medium details, 3d audio on. Either way, the game is not very playable.

Comment

I play it at 1024x768x16 (all other options default) & Use DirectX7.
            I've an Athlon650/G400 32MB 5.30 drivers and it's unreal (hoho) between 70 and 100fps

Comment

I suspect that the hitching is cache misses. This be greatly reduced (if not go away) with the extra RAM.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Strider,

I have the same system as you got but I have 128 Mb RAM, UT runs fine for me with average 35 fps with high detail and everythings are on in sound option. NO harddisk swapping at all.
                Yuet

Comment

just to add, I had 64 Mb RAM before and the game is unplayable, the precache time took ages and with lots of hard disk swapping.
                  Yuet

Comment

Ram is the KEY to running any new games smoothly,I had 64 up until about a month ago and going to 128 was the biggest performance boost my machine has seen.UT runs very close to smooth on my machine @32bit,if I drop to 16bit its smooth as silk.It ran quite choppy even in 16bit before the ram upgrade,I could tell it was hitting the hard drive swap file hard,thats when I decided to dish out the $130cdn and not wait any longer.......
                    gobrob

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

I just wanted to be certain that the extra ram would do the trick.

What's strange is that the demo and the game ran fine at 800x600x32, med details, 3d sound on (35-40 fps). It took awhile to precache everything, and the game was chunky for the first couple of minutes, but then would run smooth. Now it chugs continously. I suspect that defraging the HD would improve things, but more ram is the way to go (in addition to the defrag).

gobrob, when did you buy the ram? I checked a couple of online stores and they are listing 64 meg PC100 at 120 cnd. If I recall correctly, the low price during the summer was around $90, so the cost is not that far off.

Comment

Strider- You might also want to check what your cache size is set at -- I'm not exactly sure how to do this with the full version, but in Unreal and the UT Demo, it was in "advanced options". I think in the full version you need to go to the console and type "preferances". Anyway, the cache size is typically set at 4 meg by default. The rule of thumb should be to set it at approx 75% of your total system RAM. It helped the hitching quite a bit when I did this in Unreal and the UT demo on my older system that had 64MB RAM.
                        My new system has a lot more horse power for UT so I haven't really checked what the cache size is yet.
                        My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

Beezer

I was quite happy the way UT was running, until one day I load it up and I'm hit with crappy performance (no changes were made anywhere). My frames dropped from near 40 to low 30 and beyond. That's when I started tweaking, including changing the cache size (I modified the ini file directly as going thru the advanced menu was prone to crashing). It improved, then crap out again.

The only settings that had noticable impact were setting details to high (worse performance) and disalbling volumetric lighting (improved performance).

If I add more ram, clean up the system, and make some modifications, I am sure I can run at 1024x32.

Comment

Sounds like you're on the right path.

If I'm not mistaken, you did quite fine on the Matrox server the other night.
                            My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Comment

As long as the game doesn't completely chug, I can do alright.

I defraged the system and sure enough that got me back to a playable level. The new 405B patch also boosted the fps. The ram is still the biggest drawback.

Increasing the cache size actually made performace worse. It probably depends on the interaction between the various settings, agp aperture size, etc.

Hope to see you all on the server next weekend (if its back up and running).

Comment

Working...
                              X