Help please: Joysticks lock up G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please: Joysticks lock up G400

I need help trying to figure out why most of my Direct3D games lock up when I have a joystick enabled and G400 bus mastering is turned on. Games that lock up are Test Drive 5, Colin McRea Rally, European Air War to name a few. The lockup is immediate at the start. Graphics are frozen and sound plays in a loop. These games work okay with Permedia2 and Permedia3 video cards. Games work okay on G400 if joystick is removed, or G400 busmastering is turned off. Same problem with digital or analog joystick. One game I've found works okay with joystick and G400 busmastering -- Falcon 4.

I have a PII-300, AL440LX Intel motherboard, Creative Labs AudioPCI 64V sound card, and Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller. No IRQs are shared. G400 (Dual Head) has IRQ 9.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to go about tracking this down.

Richard

Hmmm... odd. Maybe a driver conflict? You may want to try different driver versions for joystick/g400.

I never heard of 'joystick noise', but...
    P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

Thanks for replying - I had given up. I've tried two different joysticks, one digital one analog, with the same result. The analog joystick doesn't have any special drivers, just uses the standard Windows drivers I think. DXDiag lists the DirectX driver as "msjstick.drv, Version 1.03.03.0007, 8/24/96". Windows device manager lists the driver as "Vjoyd.vxd, version 4.05.00.0155". These are both Microsoft drivers, and I can't find any other versions. The digital joystick is a Gravis Blackhawk Digital, and uses a Gravis driver. I have tried all versions of Gravis drivers I can find, but the result is the same.

Thanks for your help, tho. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comment

The problem is probably not the sticks, but whatever you are plugging them into.
        Are you using a game controller, ar just plugging into the sound card?

I plug right into my SB Live!, with several different analog controllers, and have had no problems...
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I just plug the joystick into my sound card -- a Creative Labs AudioPCI 64V on IRQ10.

Comment

Working...
          X